PDA

View Full Version : I need a pic of your Fotar 10x10 negative carrier

vinny
26-Apr-2012, 07:36
Here's mine, sans glass. I'd like to get some glass cut but would like to see what the factory AN glass/frames looks like.
thanks

vinny
27-Apr-2012, 07:20
please?

Mark Sampson
27-Apr-2012, 08:04
Vinny, my then employer scrapped/sold off 'my' Fotar in 2008, so my memory may be imperfect. But I recall that it used plain optically-flat glass, with bevelled edges and rounded corners. We used ANR glass on the top half, but had plain glass available for it. (At certain mags and f/stops, the ANR pattern would come into focus.)
The glass was held in by clips, I see two of them in your pic. I'd think new glass shouldn't be too hard to source, John Van Stelten at Focal Point or Edmund Scientific come to mind.

vinny
27-Apr-2012, 08:06
Vinny, my then employer scrapped/sold off 'my' Fotar in 2008, so my memory may be imperfect. But I recall that it used plain optically-flat glass, with bevelled edges and rounded corners. We used ANR glass on the top half, but had plain glass available for it. (At certain mags and f/stops, the ANR pattern would come into focus.)
The glass was held in by clips, I see two of them in your pic. I'd think new glass shouldn't be too hard to source, John Van Stelten at Focal Point or Edmund Scientific come to mind.

So the top glass wasn't hinged at all, just sitting there?

Mark Sampson
27-Apr-2012, 09:21
A closer look at your photo shows me that it's different than the carriers we used. Ours had a top frame to hold the upper glass and had a hinge at the back. The top and bottom haves were quite similar and used the same size glass. Really quite a simple design. Your carrier looks similar to the ones I used *when they were closed*. IIRC they had spaces for pin-registration in the lower part as well.

Erik Larsen
27-Apr-2012, 13:58
Here's what my negative carrier looks like. It is slightly different than yours but I think the principle is the same. My carrier uses gravity to hold the glass plates in, there is no hinge - just two pieces of regular glass with beveled edges and cut corners to allow the pin registration pins room if needed. I can't figure out why they changed the orientation unless you were suppose to have 2 different carriers for lansdcape or portrait orientation. I just stand on the side of enlarger if i'm doing portrait orientation. i guess it would be nice to have two carriers but parts for these things is very difficult to find to say the least, but it is built like a tank and should out live me and my descendants:) It is a pleasure to use, easy to align and it stays aligned. I hope you get it up and running soon.
regards
erik

vinny
7-May-2012, 18:40
thanks Erik,
I'm working on the chimney/fan box for the head this week and will get some glass for the carrier asap. Mine does have the positionable pins as well.