PDA

View Full Version : using BTZS tubes without expo dev app/film testing

gmed
24-Apr-2012, 19:00
If I were to use the BTZS tubes without the expo dev app/film testing, would the agitation still be same if I followed the development time recommended by the manufacturer?

In other words, if I dont want to do multiple film testings, and I just want to follow the generic dev time for a given film, can I just use the same agitation while spinning the tubes? I just want to make sure that I wont over-develop by the continuous spinning.

polyglot
24-Apr-2012, 19:28
Tubes require constant agitation to get even development as the tube is not full; if you let them sit still for a minute, you will develop about 1/3 of the film and the rest will be in air! If you can find times recommended for rotary/constant agitation (e.g C41 and E6 assume constant agitation) then use those, otherwise develop for about 10-15% less than the recommended time.

I find the constant agitation gives a slightly different curve with a little less film speed for a given contrast, so testing is a good idea but plenty of people just use tubes as a dev method with nothing more formal.

jeroldharter
24-Apr-2012, 19:56
As a rough guide, use the development times listed for rotary processing.

Rolfe Tessem
25-Apr-2012, 15:37
In the Jobo processors, Jobo (the company) determined that a five minute pre-wet compensated for the extra agitation from continuous rotation. The result was that the times wound up almost exactly the same as the published ones for tank development with intermittent inversion.

So, I would recommend following the same procedure. Otherwise, cut the times by 10-15%.