PDA

View Full Version : Harrison film tent with the silver outside coming off....

ataim
24-Apr-2012, 08:35
Does this affect its use, or is it purely cosmetic?

vinny
24-Apr-2012, 08:36
there's one way to find out.

Jerry Bodine
24-Apr-2012, 12:51
I doubt that condition happened overnight, but in any case if that showed up on my tent I'd be contacting the distributor (Camera Essentials) without hesitation.

http://www.cameraessentials.com/harrison_film_changing_tents.htm

They may have experience with the cause and have resolved it. Check their website and notice the satisfaction guarantee; you could be in line for a new replacement. Did you buy it used or know the conditions of its use? IIRC there was a thread somewhere (possibly on this forum) that talked about the use of insect repellant (DEET I think) that could cause such a condition.

Steven Tribe
24-Apr-2012, 12:58
It looks like the damage has been caused by the contact between the "gloves" and the aluminium in the folded position.
Perhaps wet or damp gloves before packing?

lenser
24-Apr-2012, 13:24
Paul, I had this exact same issue and if you run a search here, you will find that this has been an issue for others in the past. Essentially, and for whatever reason, the material begins to degrade and get sticky. That can result in the silver coming off in patches as you have seen. I used mine that way for some time before replacing it, but don't take my experience as a solid promise of performance. This seems to have been some sort of degradation and out-gassing effect.

Eventually, I did call Camera Essentials for advice and they offered to replace mine with the same model at a good discount. I do not know if they will still do that. I've had the new one for about two years with no problems, but I only keep it wrapped up in the storage bag on trips and try to minimize leaving it in a hot car if possible. Otherwise I keep it out in the open air just in case direct "skin to skin" contact is what set this off in the old version.

I would first test yours with unexposed film out in the sunlight and see if you have any fogging. If it's okay to use, treat it as a "for now" situation and don't expect it will last forever. Most of my loading took place in motels at night with dim lighting, so it wasn't a big issue except for the irritation of the stickiness whenever I tried to set it up.

Frank Petronio
24-Apr-2012, 13:51
I've had a lot of rain gear and tents delaminate after several years, I'd assume more quickly if you leave things rolled up and in heat like the attic or car trunk. I don't think any of these kinds of materials will hold up over decades, they are more of a 5-10 year purchase. If they made them from a canvas or similar cloth they might hold up better but they'll be heavier and bulkier, and not as light tight. It's a pity they are expensive but I considering the cost of manufacturing, they aren't out-of-line for their quality level.

Alan Gales
24-Apr-2012, 15:41
I just received my Harrison Jumbo tent from B&H a couple days ago. For what it's worth here are the Camera Essentials new instructions that came with mine.

New Storage Recommendations for all Harrison Tents & Bags

Store your Harrison Tent for long periods unrolled in a cardboard box or bag.

If you have silica packets, put them in the box with the Tent. Use our stuff sack for travel only. The fabric needs to "breathe" when it is stored for long periods of time.

Avoid storing your tent in an area with extreme temperature variations like a car trunk or garage. This can damage fabric over time.

Robbie Bedell
25-Apr-2012, 19:19
I agree with Frank...and I sure wish I had been given the storage advice when I owned my Harrison tent. I always kept mine in its storage bag (who wouldn't?) and one day I opened it to use it and found the black lining inside had melted into a mass of goo. It was really nasty. For some I have kept the aluminum poles. Robbie

http://robbiebedell.photoshelter.com

Lynn Jones
26-Apr-2012, 10:46
I think they are still at H&H, Will Harrison, 1835 Thunderbolt Dr. Unit E, Porterville, CA 93257, 559-782-0121

Lynn

Ed Bray
26-Apr-2012, 11:48
Just out of curiosity, how much better is the Harrison Changing tent to this one? Calumet changing room (http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/product/calumet_changing_room/rm1000)

I have the Calumet one and am very pleased with it, I find it difficult to understand how much better can the Harrison one be for 4x the price.

Drew Wiley
26-Apr-2012, 11:59
The urethane coatings on the fabric eventually just break down. Same holds true of an ordinary camping tent floor (which is generally the only part of a big tent so coated).
As already noted, moisture, DEET, tree sap, any number of chemicals can cause a problem. I haven't used my Harrison tents in a long time, but made certain they were very dry and clean when put away into storage. When I recently inspected them they were fine. A much nicer tent and more functional than the Calumet. The "floor plan" is the key.

Frank Petronio
26-Apr-2012, 12:00
Compared to the Redwing, Photoflex, and Calumet film changing tents, the Harrisons have a lot more open, flat-bottomed, and stable working room and are a lot more comfortable for your arm position. The smaller less expensive versions are a good value but the Harrisons are worth 2-3x as much to me from a usability standpoint. They are better constructed as well.

With the current one I have, about a year old, I plan to make it last at least ten years by not using it with any DEET or solvents on my arms, and keeping it loosely stored in a larger container. It's mostly dry here or I'd also use a drying agent.

lenser
26-Apr-2012, 12:06
Ed, The Calumet has curved sides which tend to limit the amount of available working floor space. The older style of Changing room that I once had was also a royal pain to refold for storage.

The Harrison has a much broader foot print which is more stable, but mostly gives a lot more room to spread out your film boxes and holders so they don't tumble all over each other. The medium is even adequate for 8x10 although slightly crowded. I found the changing room to be almost impossible to work with anything larger than 4x5.

Finally, the position of the sleeves is much more convenient. They are low on the front which allows one to rest the elbows on whatever surface the tent is placed on. Much more relaxing.

My opinion, the Harrison is extremely worth the price as it's value and convenience are much greater.