PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions, sorry if they've been asked before!

Ed Bray
24-Apr-2012, 03:46
I now have my shiny new (to me) 4x5 camera with some lenses and other bits and bobs so now need to ask some questions which may have what may seem to some 'obvious' answers:

What is the best way to store my lenses? cocked or uncocked? caps on or off? sunlight or camera case?

I have bought a set of Wide Angle Bag Bellows, standard length. Should/can I leave them on the camera all the time? It seems to me that they will do everything the standard bellows can do and more, why doesn't the manufacturer just sell the cameras with the Bag Bellows to start with or am I missing something other than they want you to spend more money buying accessories?

I have found on youtube, that when using the camera movements that if you can see light from the back of the lens through the corners of your focusing screen your image is not vignetting, this has been described as like the pupil in a cat's eye. How much of the light to do need to be able to see? as the cat's eye shape will get narrower before it is lost completely?

I have a Wista 6x9 (graflok type) film back which I purchased second hand, I have worked out the majority of things and have managed to load a roll of film (I think correctly but time will tell later when I process it) but there is a small (6 or 7mm) silver knurled knob (with what looks like a slotted screw in the centre) on the top plate on the right hand side above the Wista crest which you can rotate anti-clockwise (against a reasonably strong spring), what is this for please?

I will probably have more questions as I go forward on this new journey, but I am hoping to get some answers for these to start with.

TIA, Ed.

E. von Hoegh
24-Apr-2012, 06:51
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

Lots of good info here, as well as the answers to most of your questions.

Ed Bray
24-Apr-2012, 07:43
Thanks, I've just discovered the answer to the Wista 6x9 knurled knob, it releases the dark slide.

I'll have a look your link.