PDA

View Full Version : lens separation help

lenser
23-Apr-2012, 18:45
Okay, I admit this is not one of my large format lenses, but I'm turning to any of you are Nikon aficionados for advice.

My well used 500mm reflex nikkor has suffered a catastrophic separation of the rear elements.....like 85% or more of the diameter. I haven't used a Nikon sanctioned facility in decades, but this is likely one that will need that attention if it can even be salvaged.

So I'm asking for referrals to the Nikon repair source that any of you would suggest, preferably in the USA.

Many thanks.

Tim

TheDeardorffGuy
23-Apr-2012, 19:25
Nikon may not support the lens anymore. If they do they'd replace the substrate. I used to recement and this lens has a thermo plastic cement or a UV curing cement. Since it is so delaminated it should be able to be fully seperated. Theres a fellow in colorado who has an optical shop that can do it. http://www.focalpointlens.com/fp_services.html
http://www.focalpointlens.com/fp_intro.html

J. Fada
23-Apr-2012, 20:27
You are probably much better off going to Focal Point than to Nikon. Focal point will do much better than Nikon on these type things assuming Nikon doesn't have any spare parts. I doubt Nikon could handle this issue.

Since it is so far separated, you may want to look into recementing it yourself depending on the quote you get from Focal Point and how confident you are in your technical abilities.

Jim Graves
23-Apr-2012, 20:38
I visited Focal Point's website . . . But there is no indication of price ranges for their services . . . Anybody here have experience with them and have some insight into pricing?

lenser
23-Apr-2012, 21:02
Email of to John at Focal Point. Thanks for the suggestions.

redu
24-Apr-2012, 02:42
These Korean noname mirror lenses become dirt cheap. Just get a new one. $250 for 900mm f8.

Frank Petronio
24-Apr-2012, 05:07
Focal Point will be at least $250, check the value of the lens at KEH first, it probably isn't worth the risk/hassle since it is not guaranteed work.

cdholden
24-Apr-2012, 06:41
I visited Focal Point's website . . . But there is no indication of price ranges for their services . . . Anybody here have experience with them and have some insight into pricing?

Every lens manufacturer has their own way of doing things. Because so many things can affect a particular repair, you really can't expect a firm quote until he gets it in his hands.
I just received my achromat back from John. It is for the front of a 19" Voigtlander petzval and I was pleasantly surprised. While the cost turned out to be double what I had budgeted, I understood the difficulty in removing the glass from the mount and resecuring (I failed to consider difficulty when discussing estimates). I believe the repair was a worthwhile investment because I know I will recover the cost if I ever decide to sell it.
This may not be the case with inexpensive reflex lenses.

Joseph O'Neil
24-Apr-2012, 11:22
Samyang reflex lens new, sold under several different brand names (Bower from BH is one) , in any mount (since they take t-rings) is about $200 brand new with a t-ring, and IMO, works almost just as good as the old Nikkor Reflex lenses. I know because I own and use one on my Nikon. Here is the exact one I have:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614841-REG/Bower_SLY50063_500mm_f_6_3_Manual_Focus.html

And just to keep on topic, no, never tried it yet on my Tachihara. somebody got a Nikon F-mount to Tachihara lens board adaptor they wanna loan?
:)

Kuzano
24-Apr-2012, 12:32
I just received my Mamiya Press 75mm (Biogon formula) back from John at Focal Point. Timely, cordial, and excellent work as I see it. Rear lens was separated and this is a 3 element lens with two surfaces cemented together. John gave me estimates, anticipating two elements. He called me when it turned out to be 3. This is a lens that runs $300 to $500 when you find it alone or with the finder. I decided to pursue repair to achieve a known quality. He cleaned, recemented and collimated the lens.