PDA

View Full Version : Questions re: Fuji Green X-ray Film "Super HR-U"

teleugeot
23-Apr-2012, 14:33
Hey! I'm new to 8x10 and LF in general. I've seen some magical-looking results on X-ray film and considering its cheapness, decided to hop on that train.

Does anyone use this particular brand? It's double-sided, unfortunately and I find it to be EXTREMELY scratch-sensitive... So much so that gentle tray agitation causes rub-marks on the opposite side. I've heard of using plate glass at the bottom of the tray, so I might try that.

Also, I don't know what ISO to rate it at? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Isaac

Andrew O'Neill
23-Apr-2012, 14:44
Hi Isaac,

I use 8x10 and 14x17 green sensitive double-sided. I don't get any scratches in a flat-bottomed tray and pyrocat-hd. Are you using flat-bottomed trays? If not, I'm sure the glass plate on the bottom of your tray will be fine. You could also develop the film inside a large ziplock bag. Just put the ziplock bag in your tray, pour in the developer, then slip the film in. Puff some air inside before closing the bag. Then carry on as you normally would. I used to use hangers, but way too much developer was required to fill the tank and always got weird developer marks near the edges.
If you don't like the fact that it is double-sided, you can always strip one side (the side that wasn't facing the lens during exposure). All you need is duct tape, ammonia, and a sponge. Beware... stripping cuts the films density range precisely in half, so you will have to fiddle a bit with your EI and development time.
As far as rating the film, that's personal... but you could start at around EI 80-100. My negs are used for carbon transfer, so my times are a bit longer.
Also, don't be afraid to use filters with this film. Greens and yellows work great. Another great thing is that you can work under a yellow or red filter.

Have you seen this thread? http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?48099-X-ray-Film-example-and-comparison&highlight=xray

teleugeot
23-Apr-2012, 15:26
Wow! Great advice! Never thought of the plastic bag thing... I'm actually using aluminum turkey roasting pans which are somewhat ridged on the bottom. If I can avoid scratching, I don't have too much of a problem with the two-sidedness as I like very dense negatives...

What do you find to be the difference between this X-ray film and something like Tri-X? What do you get for the increased price? I do love that I can use a red safe light...

Yeah! That thread was part of the inspiration to try it... Though I didn't read every post obviously :p

Andrew O'Neill
23-Apr-2012, 18:14
Well, the main difference would be that the xray film is orthochromatic (I feel leaning more into the green, though) and Tri-X is panchromatic. Xray will render yellow to red objects darker to blacker than Tri-X. Reciprocity is a bit on the weird side too with Xray. You can't beat the price either!