PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy cheap paper?

Alexis LeDay
13-Jan-2004, 19:03
I am starting a black and white photography class this semester and the class would like to know where we can buy cheap paper in bulk. The required brands are:

Ilford Multigrade RC 8x10 (Pearl) Arista Variable Contrast RC Premium (Pearl) Kodak RC III 8x10 (N Surface)

If you happen to know links to any sites (the school's computers won't let me surf thoroughly), please let me know.

Thank you.

Matt Miller
13-Jan-2004, 19:14
You can buy all these at Freestyle (http://www.freestylephoto.biz).

Philippe Gauthier
13-Jan-2004, 20:35
I just looked at Freestyle. Nice selection, but I'm underwhelmed by the prices. The box of 100 sheets 8x10 RC multicontrast costs 43 US dollars, plus shipping, while I can buy the same in Montréal for 28 canadian dollars (about 20 US) plus 15% sales tax. The shipping costs are not abusive, however.

Nick_3536
13-Jan-2004, 20:42
For whatever reason RC paper seems very expensive in the US. OTOH fibre paper seems cheaper then Canada. I don't understand it but that's the way it seems.

Doug_3727
13-Jan-2004, 20:53
Hi, I have found the best way to get really low prices on paper is to buy 16x20 or 11x14 in the brand and contract you want and cut them to size. You can get your cost down to under 25¢ for a 8x10 easy. I used to use the cheap rc papers for proofing. You can cut 8x10 down to 3 1/2 x 5 or 4x6 and really save. Good luck...

Matt Miller
14-Jan-2004, 05:52
The reason I suggested Freestyle is because that's the only place (that I know of) where you can buy Arista products. I'm sure there are cheaper places to get the Ilford paper.

jantman
15-Jan-2004, 07:09
The first thing I'd say about ordering photographic products for a class is to check with your local camera store. My school got most of their stuff from the shop in town, special-ordered, and they got great deals. The next thing to do is check with B&H in NYC. If you (the instructor) can order the paper for them, you can probably get a good educational discount.

I also would recommend Freestyle. Their Arista products (it's their house brand) are rumored to be reboxed Ilford. Though I've never used them (but I'm planning on it), I've never heard of people having problems with it. Their new .EDU papers are VC RC and very inexpensive.

If Arista is one of the possible brands, go for it. It's economical and shouldn't be too bad. I'm assuming that since you put this on the LF board, it's probably a college. What level are the kids at? I mean, do they really NEED name-brand paper (Not Arista)?

Also, if you just need a LOT of it, you might try some camera dealer's sites like glennview.com, Freestyle's clearance area, or some of the places in NY, and see if they have slightly out-of-date paper, or paper in damaged boxes.