PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Sinar P

Jerry Cunningham
20-Apr-2012, 17:16
Is the chrome Sinar P an earlier model of the "P" series? Do the later "P" parts fit? Is there anything "wrong" to watch for in the chrome model?
Thanks,

Hermes07
20-Apr-2012, 17:43
By Chrome, do you mean silver coloured?

Ken Lee
20-Apr-2012, 18:19
That's the Sinar P. The P2 is black, and has some improved dials, but works the same and is otherwise identical.

I have a Sinar P, and unless a P2 falls from the sky, have no plan to "upgrade", since the differences are almost entirely cosmetic.

After long use, some of the gears can become loose or slippery. I had some of those replaced and lubricated. Now it's good for another several decades.

Hermes07
20-Apr-2012, 18:55
Colour aside, I believe the P2s came with metering backs while the Ps had standard, non-metering backs. The P2s had rubberised knobs & handles and a couple of other control tweaks.

Like Ken, my standards are all the original Sinar P and I have no reason to even consider changing. To answer your other question, yes like pretty much all of the Sinar system you can mix and match P and P2 parts. I use the P2 Rail clamps - just like the rubber grip better.

Drew Wiley
20-Apr-2012, 19:07
Everything is interchangable. Since the silver cameras are older and were
in production for quite awhile, it's simply an issue of how much wear and
tear has accumulated from usage over the years. If everything is smooth
and locks down well, and there are no signs or abuse or excessive wear,
the camera should serve you very well. Just beware of "chop shop" cameras which might have been spliced together with misc odd and ends
of worn units. But older silver cameras which have been pampered in a
studio are virtually as good as a brand new one. These things were built
to last.

Jerry Cunningham
20-Apr-2012, 19:39
Thanks for all the information! It is actually a great time to be shooting film and buying film cameras.

adam satushek
20-Apr-2012, 19:48
Now this is the problem...the more y'all keep talking about Sinar P's and P2's the more I want 2! (or 1.5 I guess). One for 4x5 and one for 8x10 (or a front standard and a 4x5 and 8x10 back).....not that I have any complaints about my F1/F2 setup...but the P series is really nice. Not light, but from the ones I've messed with they are precise and utterly primo!

Jay DeFehr
20-Apr-2012, 20:26
I just made a deal for a P kit with 8x10 and 4x5, and rounded it out with a very nice metering back for the 4x5 (the only missing bit). I'm an ardent lover of the RB67 line, and the Sinar F/P series strikes me as a LF version of the RB line, with even more precision and modularity, and a robust used market. I'm very much looking forward to taking possession of the kit, and putting it to work.

Jerry Cunningham
20-Apr-2012, 21:28
The camera I was looking at was described as "chrome." Perhaps it is more correct to refer to the color as silver. Mr. Satushek's point of film camera buying addiction is well taken. I think film cameras will become more and more affordable as the market continues to swing to digital. Film cameras once worth thousands are now worth only hundreds. Thanks to everyone on helping me understand what the silver/chome Sinar actually is.
Jerry

Leigh
20-Apr-2012, 21:45
The silver/chrome finish is the original F/C/X/P product line.
The color was changed to black with the _2 cameras, probably so you could tell them apart.

Generally all parts are interchangeable, with one significant exception:
On the 8x10 _2s the metering back and the non-metering back are different sizes, so they require
different standards and different bellows.

For any 8x10 Sinar configuration, you're better off with the heavy-duty standards, which are also longer.
In other words, it would be better to buy a factory-original 8x10 Sinar, then buy the parts to add 4x5 format,
rather than trying to upgrade a 4x5 camera with 8x10 parts.

- Leigh

Tony Karnezis
20-Apr-2012, 22:09
Congrats on your new camera, Jay.

I have an 8x10 P that I bought for a very good deal from a studio that was switching to 4x5 digital. The studio said they bought it from Bill Diebold whose name is engraved on the rail clamp. http://www.debold.com/ From what I can tell just looking at the camera (the back in particular), it has seen a lot of film go through it. The rear knobs have a bit of play, but everything works as it should. As Drew said, these things were built to last for years of professional use.

Jay DeFehr
20-Apr-2012, 22:54
Thanks, Tony,

I haven't actually seen my camera, but I have it on good authority the camera is in good condition. At my most ambitious, I don't think I could come close to putting any real demand on the camera, but I plan to do my best to wear it out.

Debold's site is very nice. I wish there were more teachers like him.

dap
21-Apr-2012, 07:25
I think film cameras will become more and more affordable as the market continues to swing to digital. Film cameras once worth thousands are now worth only hundreds.
Jerry

I don't know about that - seems like prices have been creeping up the last couple of years. I think that at this point in time anybody still using film is going out of their way to use it - there probably isn't a massive wave of "digital swing" left. Short of a total shutdown of film production or film prices that are so prohibitive that nobody uses it I wouldn't count on film camera prices dropping all that much from current levels. Moral of the story - if you find something that you really want and gotta have I wouldn't hold off due to the assumption that prices will be much lower down the line (although I hope I am wrong - there is still a lot of film equipment WAY out of my financial reach)

Alan Gales
21-Apr-2012, 09:04
I don't know about that - seems like prices have been creeping up the last couple of years. I think that at this point in time anybody still using film is going out of their way to use it - there probably isn't a massive wave of "digital swing" left. Short of a total shutdown of film production or film prices that are so prohibitive that nobody uses it I wouldn't count on film camera prices dropping all that much from current levels. Moral of the story - if you find something that you really want and gotta have I wouldn't hold off due to the assumption that prices will be much lower down the line (although I hope I am wrong - there is still a lot of film equipment WAY out of my financial reach)

I completely agree. I sell camera equipment on Ebay. Some items have stabilized in price while the popular stuff has been slowly creeping back up some. If you want it, buy it now and enjoy it!

Jerry Cunningham
21-Apr-2012, 09:47
Dap
Thanks for your input. I have been out of LF for a few years and I recently bought a Sinar P for a good price. I have noticed that film selection is down and the prices seem higher. The advise of Mr. Gales is good. If you want something better buy and enjoy it.l