PDA

View Full Version : HP Combi-Plan T now discontinued

Bob Salomon
20-Apr-2012, 11:26
Today we sold the last few remaining HP Combi-Plan T processing tanks. Due to the extremely high cost to make new tools to continue manufacturing the system it has been decided that we will instead discontinue the Combi-Plan when the last systems were sold. And that happened this morning.

While we no longer have any of the Combi-Plans' left in stock some of our dealers do, both here in the USA as well as in other countries.

We do have a large inventory of spare parts for the Combi Plan and will continue to support users who need parts. Basically all of the parts for the system are available except for tank bodies which can no longer be made.

We are sorry to see the last of this system.

Tim Meisburger
20-Apr-2012, 11:43
Me too.

unixrevolution
20-Apr-2012, 12:22
Makes me glad I just bought one on Monday!

Is there any other daylight 4x5 tank out there?

cyrus
20-Apr-2012, 12:57
Not me. Good riddance! Never liked 'em.

Zaitz
20-Apr-2012, 15:19
Bummer. Really like mine. Easy to use and even development every time. I have an old one and new one. Bought the old one on Ebay and it came without the top film holder thing. I may try using the extra tank for a 2-bath Pyro expirement. That way I can take the film out of bath A and dunk it in bath B right away. Slam the cover on quick and shake it up.

The minor leaking has never bothered me. A few drops just isn't an issue for me.

Bob Salomon
20-Apr-2012, 15:44
The Film Holder Clips are available

karl french
20-Apr-2012, 15:52
I have one new in the box from 10 years ago. Lets make a deal.

jp
20-Apr-2012, 17:10
A shame. I've got two and use them to develop a lot of film at once. A few drips isn't horrible, and the slow draining/fill hasn't produced any visible consequences. They hold their temperature well, don't use a ton of liquid, develop evenly.

Greg Y
20-Apr-2012, 17:27
I'm glad I switched to 5x7, I bought one & found it extremely fiddly. Scratched negatives trying to load.... I should offload the parts

false_Aesthetic
20-Apr-2012, 17:39
I'm glad I switched to 5x7, I bought one & found it extremely fiddly. Scratched negatives trying to load.... I should offload the parts

Wait a lil bit. Then you can charge 3x for it.

Chuck P.
20-Apr-2012, 17:58
I'm amazed at the divresity of opinions regarding this tank--------I love them.

sully75
20-Apr-2012, 19:33
$400 on ebay in 2 years!

spacegoose
21-Apr-2012, 04:30
I like mine too - even with occasional issues. Wish I were able to find the rare 5x7 version. What are you using for 5x7 Greg?

Greg Y
21-Apr-2012, 06:47
SG I'm developing in trays & have made peace with that technique :)

Joseph Dickerson
21-Apr-2012, 08:58
Bob,

Thanks for the heads up! Sorry to hear that they are going away. I use these in my own lab and at the college where I teach. I'll be sure to order some spare clips and funnels for both labs.

Should I order from a dealer or can the parts be ordered directly from HP?

Also, a belated thank you for being so generous of your time and expertise on the forum.

JD

Dan Henderson
21-Apr-2012, 09:08
Look into a Yankee tank. Lots of people look down on them, but I have had great luck with them.

Makes me glad I just bought one on Monday!

Is there any other daylight 4x5 tank out there?

Bob Salomon
21-Apr-2012, 09:41
JD,

Thanks, you can order from either.

Dr_Rocks
21-Apr-2012, 09:47
Glad I got mine last week!

Just developed my first negs ever with it last night, was happy with the results!

Mark Stahlke
21-Apr-2012, 10:13
Sorry to hear that. If I had any money I'd buy a second one just to have a spare.

Kodachrome25
31-May-2012, 22:45
Awesome, so there is nothing but garbage out there for me to try and develop my thin IR400 in?

How on earth can anyone take this format seriously if you can not even develop the film?

This is serious BS.

Bob Salomon
1-Jun-2012, 02:19
You should still be able to buy them as camera stores should still have some stock. Adorama bought all that we had left.

Once the dealer stocks are gone then they will be no more. We are out of stock and so is our factory.

Kodachrome25
1-Jun-2012, 03:12
Adorama sells on eBay and they don't have them listed right now, which means they are going to sit on them a few months and pull in 2-3x the normal price, bunch of BS....

Bob Salomon
1-Jun-2012, 03:51
Adorama sells on eBay and they don't have them listed right now, which means they are going to sit on them a few months and pull in 2-3x the normal price, bunch of BS....

Just call the store and ask if any are left. Samy's, Keeble & Schuchat, Gasser, Hunt, Midwest can all have stock.

unixrevolution
5-Jun-2012, 13:13
Awesome, so there is nothing but garbage out there for me to try and develop my thin IR400 in?

How on earth can anyone take this format seriously if you can not even develop the film?

This is serious BS.

I would imagine most 4x5 shooters don't need a daylight tank...they just use trays in a darkroom. As one of the few darkroom-less LF shooters I've heard of, the daylight tank is essential for me.

I hear good things about the Yankee tanks, and of course there's still dealer stock of HP Combi-Plans out there. Also, the Paterson Orbital Tray is supposedly dynamite for daylight developing of 4x5 film and paper.

RichardSperry
5-Jun-2012, 13:18
Also, the Paterson Orbital Tray is supposedly dynamite for daylight developing of 4x5 film and paper.

And where on this planet are you hiding them?

There is a single broken one in England on eBay right now, and it has no base. Care to share where the rest of them are?

unixrevolution
5-Jun-2012, 13:33
And where on this planet are you hiding them?

There is a single broken one in England on eBay right now, and it has no base. Care to share where the rest of them are?

Id love to find one myself, but they are an option. Why are you being hostile with me for trying to help?

RichardSperry
5-Jun-2012, 13:57
Hostile? I don't know what you mean.

Btw, mpex shows the Combi Plan in stock for $70, that's $15 less than I bought mine at Adorama for, iirc.

Pawlowski6132
5-Jun-2012, 15:08
Why do you need new tools? What happened to the old ones?

Also, I just bought an orbital processor with automated base in original box with paper work and all the little doo-dads here in the FS forum a few weeks ago.

And, FWIW, I'm going to be dumping a bunch of extra Unicolor drums and base here shortly.

Zaitz
5-Jun-2012, 15:29
I would imagine most 4x5 shooters don't need a daylight tank...they just use trays in a darkroom. As one of the few darkroom-less LF shooters I've heard of, the daylight tank is essential for me.

I hear good things about the Yankee tanks, and of course there's still dealer stock of HP Combi-Plans out there. Also, the Paterson Orbital Tray is supposedly dynamite for daylight developing of 4x5 film and paper.

4x5 btzs tube. So easy and works great and very nice to use so little working solution. Load in the bathroom with electrical tape over the cracks of the door. 2" wide electrical tape $6 on amazon. Boom dark room. Actually most of the time I don't even do that and just cover the bottom crack in the door and load the tube fast with my back to the door. Works every time.

Tim Meisburger
5-Jun-2012, 16:53
If you always use the same bathroom, you can weatherstrip the door, then throw down a towel to cover the crack at the bottom. $9.99 darkroom...

Zaitz
5-Jun-2012, 17:32
That's an even better idea :D. Usually though I just use my computer desk at night with the lights taped off and the router covered.

welly
5-Jun-2012, 19:04
Id love to find one myself, but they are an option. Why are you being hostile with me for trying to help?

I've recently purchased a Jobo CPA2 and I also have a Paterson Orbital (with automatic base). If I have success with the Jobo, I'll be moving my Orbital on. Keep in touch if you're interested in one!

Chuck P.
10-Jun-2012, 15:36
Didn't see the need to start a new thread, but I'm wanting to know if the Combi-Plan tank is microwaveable----sometimes to get my chemicals closer to the desired water-bath temp quicker (especially in winter), I'll give them, while in a microwavealbe container, just a few short bursts of time in the microwave. I've never done it while the developer is in the tank---anyone know the answer. I could try, but don't want to damage the tank in any way.

Thanks

ki6mf
20-Jun-2012, 13:47
Ahh I have 4 of them and use them often!

ki6mf
20-Jun-2012, 13:50
As an alternative I found 32 oz stainless Bain Marie containers for serving food. These are available from resturaunt supplies outlets and on line from Instawares in New York City. I use a water bath to stabailze temp in winter and summer. Last time I bought these they were $4.00 each!

Bob Salomon
20-Jun-2012, 13:56
Food grade stainless steel and photo grade stainless steel are not the same. Watch out for pitting from the chemistry which can lead to cross contamination.

Kodachrome25
20-Jun-2012, 14:58
I've recently purchased a Jobo CPA2 and I also have a Paterson Orbital (with automatic base). If I have success with the Jobo, I'll be moving my Orbital on. Keep in touch if you're interested in one!

For the past few weeks I have been running all my film using a Jobo CPP2 and simply could not imagine going back to hand souping any format unless it is for teaching a workshop, super small runs or in the field. The consistency, the sheer brilliance in image quality is something I can truly count on from a both a creative and business standpoint. Now I understand why these machines set the standard.

Everything that is not a Jobo in my gear closet is going to mostly collect dust...

unixrevolution
24-Jul-2012, 07:10

I have since bought the orbital from this very kind and patient gentleman, and I've had a chance to use it. The Combi-Plan is out of here. I have it listed on the marketplace if anyone's interested.

She_Mule
6-Jul-2013, 13:42
I know this an old thread but I bought one of these tanks in summer 2012 so that I could process film when on (annual) vacation in the UK. The TSA will allow hand searching of film when leaving the US, but no such consideration leaving the UK, they get the full dose of x-rays, and I have spoilt negatives to prove that it does affect (400ASA) sheet film. There are fewer labs each year who will process it in the UK, and the last one that I used, in Edinburgh, ruined a dozen sheets, heartbreaking. So, if you want a job doing properly..... I've only just around to testing out the tank in preparation for our imminent trip, and realized that extra negative carriers would be perfect for a traveling lab. I now I find that it is no longer made - my question is therefore primarily aimed at Bob Salomon - are there any of these carriers left?

Bob Salomon
6-Jul-2013, 14:42
I know this an old thread but I bought one of these tanks in summer 2012 so that I could process film when on (annual) vacation in the UK. The TSA will allow hand searching of film when leaving the US, but no such consideration leaving the UK, they get the full dose of x-rays, and I have spoilt negatives to prove that it does affect (400ASA) sheet film. There are fewer labs each year who will process it in the UK, and the last one that I used, in Edinburgh, ruined a dozen sheets, heartbreaking. So, if you want a job doing properly..... I've only just around to testing out the tank in preparation for our imminent trip, and realized that extra negative carriers would be perfect for a traveling lab. I now I find that it is no longer made - my question is therefore primarily aimed at Bob Salomon - are there any of these carriers left?
Lots. The only part no longer available at this time is the tank body. You will probably have to order spare parts from a USA camera store.