PDA

View Full Version : BTZS and Blue streaks, also drying issues.

gmed
20-Apr-2012, 07:59
I just did my first development for the film testing, and at the end, I had blue streaks on few of the films right where the film would bend in the middle. I did fix for 10 minutes, but Im not sure why I still have a pinkish color on the films and blue streak on 3 of them. Do I perhaps need more than 10 minutes? The fixer is Kodak fixer, freshly mixed.

also how do you dry so that blotches from the hangers arent left on the film? I didnt do the extra steps required (LFN or Photo-Flo) because this is for testing, but I did hang them with the hangers, but I have gel like blotches on the edges.

How do you get clean films? I dont want to get frustrated, but Im hoping I can get a hang of this.

gmed
20-Apr-2012, 08:20
From what Im reading, it may be that I under-fixed the films. Does this mean I can fix for more than 10 minutes?

Is there such thing as over-fixing?

Robert Hall
20-Apr-2012, 08:30
Do you have a picture of the streaks?

gmed
20-Apr-2012, 09:26
I don't. I shipped it back for testing.

gmed
23-Apr-2012, 20:39
Anyone?

david.jade
23-Apr-2012, 22:44
I've found that sometimes solutions don't get behind film when in the tubes. This doesn't affect development but it can make the back of the film base harder to clear. Using a hypo clear helps as does washing for an extended time. Fred should know how to deal with this if it is severe enough to affect the tests. It can just be re-washed and/or re-fixed to help it clear up.

Andrew O'Neill
24-Apr-2012, 10:16
You are removing the film from the tube before fixing, right?

Bruce Pottorff
24-Apr-2012, 12:39
I had the same problem, until I switched to VERY fresh rapid fixer.

Larry H-L
24-Apr-2012, 12:47
After they come out of the fixer in the tubes, just put them in a tray with fresh fix for a few minutes, the anti-halation backing dye will come off. Kodak T-Max films can be extra stubborn.

Pre soaking may also help.

Shen45
24-Apr-2012, 16:52
As David said some films don't allow developer to get to the back of the film and you can have a streak down the middle of the film. Foma has a very stubborn anti halation backing which even in very fresh fixer is not always removed. After the film has been fixed normally and if the stain is still present rinse the film free of the fixer and return it to a small tray that you have kept the spent [conventional] developer you have used. The backing will be removed very quickly without any effort. If you are uncomfortable at using spent developer mix up a solution of Sodium sulphite and water 50gms/litre and use that. The Sulphite solution can be used many times. If you are using a Pyrogalloll based developer most Alkali after bath treatments can tend to increase overall stain. Using a final soak of Sodium Sulphite didn't appear to adversely increase or decrease the stain of the PMK negatives.

Andrew O'Neill
24-Apr-2012, 18:12
What film are you using?

gmed
24-Apr-2012, 18:47
I take out the film before fixing.

This was a Tmax 100 film test.
the Fixer is regular kodak fixer, frshly mixed.

after fixing for 10 minutes, the fil still had the pick hue, so Im assuming that I need more time fixing. Im just not sure if there is such thing as over-fixing.
I may have to switch to rapid fixer.

thanks all for the replies.

gmed
24-Apr-2012, 18:52
One thing I forgot to mention, I placed the films in the fixer solution in a small bucket, using film hangers.
does agitation make a lot of difference in this process? I agitated it every 30-45 seconds.

jeroldharter
24-Apr-2012, 20:02
Using a bucket for fixer requires a lot of solution. Kodak fixer is not the same as rapid fixer if I recall. Use a rapid fixer.

I use a slosher tray with 6 compartments in a tray of rapid fixer. I pull the sheet from the tube in stop bath with a dim safelight on. I place the sheet of film in the slosher tray and repeat until up to 6 sheets are in the fix. Then agitate continuously during the fix time. This helps remove the anti-halation layer bett than fixing inside the tubes. Plus, you can turn the room lights on once the film is in the fixer. I always enjoy watching the film clear in fixer.