PDA

View Full Version : Cirkut #10 questions - did I goof?

W K Longcor
19-Apr-2012, 10:21
Well, I've reached a point in my life where I have been thinking that I should be getting rid of excess stuff rather than accumulating more treasures. Then, the other day, I was at a sale, and there was this #10 Cirkut camera. Condition seems fairly good. A few, very minor scuffs on the leather, and the carry handle is missing ( based on the weight of this monster, I can't imagine using that handle anyway.) It has a nice T.R. triple convertable lens (10-18-24) in a good looking, but in need of a cleaning Alphax sync. shutter. All internal parts look OK. It is "camera and cirkut back only" -- no focusing screen, no gears or tripod. So my question is -- did I goof in buying this? ( Even if the camera was a mistake, the lens looks like a great piece). Is there value to the camera without the gears and tripod? And, natuarally, what would be a sensible price for a #10 like this in good condition? --'cause like I said - even if I did not goof value-wise, I really should be thinning out the herd of cameras rather than buying new!

Kimberly Anderson
19-Apr-2012, 12:48
Dude, you rescued a Cirkut camera! Everything else is secondary. Congratulations. Let's see some pics! :)

Mark Sampson
19-Apr-2012, 13:39
And you can order film for it from Ilford, too.

Jim Galli
19-Apr-2012, 16:14
It won't be able to make pictures without it's appurtenant pieces, so as it is, it's simply an interesting artifact. It does have some value to the #10 outfit owner that has a broken camera. Broken main spring. Other parts missing. Someone in that category would be thrilled to find it. Don't seperate the lens. It isn't really worth much but for a #10 owner that does wish to make pictures, it is the only one that works well without a lot of calculations and engineering.

c.d.ewen
20-Apr-2012, 03:36
W K:

Welcome to the club. Read up on Cirkuts, and you'll get anxious to acquire all the necessary pieces: geared base, tripod legs and gears & winding key. All Cirkut owners should have a backup, so you might keep your eye out for a complete setup. Here are some random thoughts:

Don't be afraid of picking up the pieces one at a time. I seem to remember that the No 8 and No 10 Cirkuts use the same 12" base, and the tripod legs are Kodak No 4's. My tripod legs come from three different tripods.

If you get real anxious, Ron Klein is the man to contact for parts and repair. His website (http://www.ronkleinphotos.com/) shows some work and his contact info.

Take a look and see if the GG frame is there. It collapses into the camera section. The GG is actually two pieces of glass, one of which is hinged.

Jim's right about the lens. There should be three small tags affixed to the base of the fold-down front. These are focusing references, to show where to set the front standard when using the individual lens cells with the appropriate gear.

Have fun, and keep asking questions.

Charley

Leonard Robertson
20-Apr-2012, 16:13
W K,

Your certainly didn't goof buying a Cirkut, but you may not understand exactly what happened either. When you allow a Cirkut to follow you home, you are thereafter responsible for the care and feeding of it. Had the #10 not decided you are a suitable owner, it would have followed someone else home. Cancel all your other plans, your life will now be devoted to Cirkut photography! I'm joking of course (sort of).

Here is the place to begin your Cirkut education: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum186/ There aren't many total Cirkut posts, but some excellent information. Also, so back in the APUG LF forum prior to the formation of the Panoramic forum, and there are more good posts.

As Charley said, either the tripod gearhead from a #10 Camera or #8 Outfit (more commonly found) will work for your #10. Both are 12" diameter, 32 pitch gear. The #8 uses #4 Crown tripod legs, the #10 version uses heavier, but rarer, Eastman Professional legs. Gearheads show up on eBay now and then. A #8 one sold within the last few weeks. I believe the price was between $200 and $250.

Gear sets also come up on eBay, or Ron Klein can make them. You don't have to have an entire set. One or two gears, probably for the 10 1/2" FL, will get you started.

The big advantage of a #10 over a #8 is a #10 can use surplus 9 1/2" aerial film on slightly modified 10" spools. Using 9 1/2" film in a #8 requires slitting the film. Aerial film is a less expensive way to learn the camera and experiment before moving up to the Ilford film. Both aerial and Ilford come as bulk rolls, and must be re-spooled for your Cirkut.

The sticky Alphax shutter isn't a problem for Cirkut use, as long as it will open on Time or Bulb. I have a Turner-Reich in Compound shutter from a #8. Part of the shutter has been removed so it can't be closed by mistake while shooting on the Cirkut.

So enjoy your new life. No sense resisting. Just have fun with it!

Len

c.d.ewen
20-Apr-2012, 18:52
As Charley said, either the tripod gearhead from a #10 Camera or #8 Outfit (more commonly found) will work for your #10. Both are 12" diameter, 32 pitch gear. The #8 uses #4 Crown tripod legs, the #10 version uses heavier, but rarer, Eastman Professional legs. Gearheads show up on eBay now and then. A #8 one sold within the last few weeks. I believe the price was between $200 and $250.

Both aerial and Ilford come as bulk rolls, and must be re-spooled for your Cirkut.

Len

Len:

One leg of my tripod is a Crown, one a Kodak, and one is a Folmer Schwing. I'm diversified.

W K:

Respooling requires you to have backing paper for the film. I don't know that anyone has come up with a suitable replacement for the original paper. Cirkut owners jealously guard their stash of spools and backing paper.

Charley