PDA

View Full Version : anachromatique DUPLOUICH

Emil Schildt
13-Apr-2012, 15:15
?

Any one know about this one?

I am trying to buy one (don't know whether the buy will be a sucess..)

No mention in VM as I can find..

Emil Schildt
14-Apr-2012, 08:02
just bought it.....

a couple of images:

Steven Tribe
14-Apr-2012, 12:44
Emil, this is surely a continuation of the de Pulligny and Puyo design with just 2 symmetrical meniscus lenses at each end (which you are probably hoping for too!).
Their's (P&P) is described as a non-chromatic lens too.
Duplouich is a very French domestic brand with a reasonably large production. Even I have one - a mere projection lens, though!

Emil Schildt
14-Apr-2012, 13:31
Emil, this is surely a continuation of the de Pulligny and Puyo design with just 2 symmetrical meniscus lenses at each end (which you are probably hoping for too!).
Their's (P&P) is described as a non-chromatic lens too.
Duplouich is a very French domestic brand with a reasonably large production. Even I have one - a mere projection lens, though!

Indeed - I hope...

This is the text that followed the add:

"The H. DUPLOUICH Anachromatic lens is an "Artist’s lens". According to Duplouich, "The principal characteristic of these lenses is that they give a soft image commonly called ’chromatic blur’ at all apertures. Covers 13x18cm."

If we're right I think I got a good deal... And I am anxious to see what it can do..

Steven Tribe
14-Apr-2012, 15:57
Well, this is a very well informed (I think) seller who probably has access to some printed material (French?) that we don't have (yet).

Mark Sawyer
14-Apr-2012, 22:30
Should be an interesting lens! And a good alternative to that Berthiot Hyperchromatic you were denied. :)

"The principal characteristic of these lenses is that they give a soft image commonly called ’chromatic blur’ at all apertures..." refers to the chomatic aberrations being only weakly dependant on aperture size, unlike spherical aberration, which is strongly dependant on aperture size.

I wonder what the construction is... Most achromats are corrected by having two different types of glass, in the old ones, crown and flint, with different refractive indices.

Steven Tribe
15-Apr-2012, 01:06
Emil, you must ask the seller where he got his information from about Duplouich.

Emil Schildt
15-Apr-2012, 02:19
Emil, you must ask the seller where he got his information from about Duplouich.

I will..

Dominique Cesari
16-Apr-2012, 07:50
I found not more than that :
H. Duplouich was a collaborator to Edouard Lutz and followed him in 1896 as the owner of an optical firm founded by Berthaud in 1848. Duplouich specialized in photographic lenses and operated his business in Paris, 5 rue du Pont de Lodi. He also sold wooden cameras (probably designed if not built by the firm).

Steven Tribe
16-Apr-2012, 08:02
Merci, Dominique!

So he was active around 1905, when Darlot gave up the ghost and the double meniscus P & P design was left in the air.
A new boy would be more likely to adopt the modern black finish.

Dominique Cesari
16-Apr-2012, 08:20
Duplouich had his own design, the Verax (not your lens), that he presented to the International exhibition in Paris, 1900. But the jury made no special mention of that lens in his statement for the prize, apart than to list it among the competitors in the section of photographic lenses design : http://fotohist.blogspot.fr/2010/03/exposition-universelle-internationale_18.html. That page (http://www.collection-appareils.fr/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1811&p=18705) shows a camera built by Duplouich with a Verax and a page of its selling booklet of 1903 announcing that kind of camera.

Emil Schildt
19-Apr-2012, 07:25
The lens has arrived in great condition!

And the frontplate is a perfect fit for my Gandolfi 7x5... a sign from above (?)

I guetimated The FL to ca 270mm - and it is F4.

Not too big and heavy. Looking foreward to try it out!

Steven Tribe
26-Apr-2012, 15:59
So, Emil - what has it turned out to be?

Emil Schildt
27-Apr-2012, 07:32
well - the lens is very well made - so well I can't unscrew either lens parts from the barrel... But just looking at it, it certainly looks to be two simple acromats in each side.
I'll see if I can try it out this weekend - need to find a shutter for it..

Emil Schildt
12-May-2012, 15:27
first images..

these are pol 665 pos/neg

I have exposed but not yet developed some 13x18cm negs - will follow...

I think I like this lens..

Steven Tribe
4-Nov-2016, 05:55
Doing a bit of updating. to-day, based on "information" received!

Data from the leReve edition on Duplouich.

Emil Schildt
4-Nov-2016, 08:48
cool - hard to read French upside down.. :)

Steven Tribe
4-Nov-2016, 09:07
Yes, the thumbnails look odd, but, at least on my ipad, the enlarged photos are OK.
I am using the built-in camera as the ipad doesn't like my digital camera at the moment.

Derogy also made a version of the anachromatoque for a short time post 1905.