PDA

View Full Version : QR Code?

false_Aesthetic
10-Apr-2012, 23:23
Does anyone use QR codes on their promotional items? Biz cards, pamphlets, etc?

I'm photographing a lot of strangers lately and I often feel that handing them a biz card seems a bit passe. Since so many of them have smart phones I'm considering simply converting my business card to a QR Code linking my website.

What are your thoughts?

T

David A. Goldfarb
11-Apr-2012, 03:30
I generally advocate for them in any print materials we produce at work, since they are easy to generate and don't cost anything, but we don't seem to have any stats as to how many website hits we get from the codes. I figure it can't hurt to have another way of connecting print to the web for marketing purposes.

polyglot
11-Apr-2012, 03:52
Only a very narrow audience will have any clue what it is and how to read it, let alone the inclination. By all means have one, but I think it would be the height of foolishness to have it be the only way of discovering your address.

Bob Salomon
11-Apr-2012, 03:56
We are starting to add them to our ads as it is a very cost effective way to impart more details, information, videos, etc. about our products without having to increase our ad sizes or ad budget.

Mike Anderson
11-Apr-2012, 09:12
I'd put the QR code on your card but still keep the text info on it, because there's still a lot of people that don't know what a QR is.

Also, I've heard of photographers placing a QR plaque next to displayed work. The QR contains a link to a web page about the photo. Some venues might not allow sales/pricing info to be displayed with the photo, or simply have a limit on the displayed metadata of the photo, so this is kind of a back door way to make that info available.

David A. Goldfarb
11-Apr-2012, 09:51
Only a very narrow audience will have any clue what it is and how to read it, let alone the inclination. By all means have one, but I think it would be the height of foolishness to have it be the only way of discovering your address.

Apropos of that...

http://picturesofpeoplescanningqrcodes.tumblr.com/

polyglot
11-Apr-2012, 18:19
Apropos of that...

lol ;)

There is a related tumblr, wtfqrcodes (http://wtfqrcodes.com/) of spectacularly stupidly-placed QR codes, e.g. in a website, a code on a highway billboard, a tiny code on a billboard on the far side of a subway track, a code fractured across multiple posters, a code wrapped around a circular post, etc. Best use I've seen (though borderline-offensively sexist) was putting QR codes on the asses of dresses on models at one of the US tech-shows (CES or the like); resulted in lots of photos of asses photographing models' asses.

I like the idea of putting one by each image in a gallery.

toyotadesigner
17-Apr-2012, 10:56
I had a QR code generated for me on a weird web site and included it on the back of a postcard for mailings. Nothing happened. First I thought: Hm, maybe the code is wrong. So I started to research if I could decode my QR code (as a png file). Uploaded it to different web site services and bingo - the QR code is correct. Which translates into the insight that QR code is not yet fully accepted. Or it is not yet accepted in my target group. Or it is too much hot air.

I don't know.

Oh, BTW, I tried to downscale it - unless you don't resample the QR code, it becomes blurry. I wonder how sharp the QR code must be to be 'readable' by apps...

Bob Salomon
17-Apr-2012, 11:09
This site generates codes for free. No strings attached. Just enter where you want the code to lead to. We use our products web page addresses from our web site.

http://invx.com/#code%3Dwww.wista.co.jp%2Fe_wista%2Fenglish.htm%26fg%3D%23000000%26bg%3D%23ffffff%26width%3D%26height%3D

But if you will print them then they must be on a surface that the cameras in the phones can decipher.

toyotadesigner
17-Apr-2012, 11:23
Bob, thanks a lot! That site is great because it lets you select the size of the code.

Now all I need is a savvy target group with smart phones and the necessary apps.

http://www.sacalobra.com/samples/spanienforum/smilie_slap.gif

false_Aesthetic
17-Apr-2012, 11:24
I'd put the QR code on your card but still keep the text info on it, because there's still a lot of people that don't know what a QR is.

Also, I've heard of photographers placing a QR plaque next to displayed work. The QR contains a link to a web page about the photo. Some venues might not allow sales/pricing info to be displayed with the photo, or simply have a limit on the displayed metadata of the photo, so this is kind of a back door way to make that info available.

I keep thinking that I need to make 44x44" QR codes and frame them. Then when all the art hipsters come by they can scan my prints and see the real prints on their iPhones and make use of their 4G technology.

Unfortunately some kid with a moustache, gold tooth and a PBR tattoo on his forearm has probably done this already.

false_Aesthetic
17-Apr-2012, 11:25
I keep thinking that I need to make 44x44" QR codes and frame them. Then when all the art hipsters come by they can scan my prints and see the real prints on their iPhones and make use of their 4G technology.

Unfortunately some kid with a moustache, gold tooth and a PBR tattoo on his forearm has probably done this already.

Actually, it'd probably be even better if I kept the gallery closed and instead placed a QR code in the window. I could also put up pictures of wine and cheese and PBR with QR codes underneath them so that the public doesn't feel cheated.

false_Aesthetic
17-Apr-2012, 11:27
Actually, it'd probably be even better if I kept the gallery closed and instead placed a QR code in the window. I could also put up pictures of wine and cheese and PBR with QR codes underneath them so that the public doesn't feel cheated.

OOOH SNAP. I could also put a picture of someone with an iphone taking a picture of a QR code with a QR code at the bottom linking the people to a place where you can get QR code software so that they can use the QR codes to visit my iphone gallery.

HOLY CRAP I THINK I JUST TURNED INTO A CONCEPTUAL PHOTOGRAPHER.

Eat it, Gursky!

toyotadesigner
17-Apr-2012, 11:36
Or maybe you can have your QR printed on toilet paper?

At least it's a location

- where people have a lot of time to spend
- at least every visitor tears one ticket
- nobody needs to hide his cell phone
- where you can contemplate about the sense of life
- any distraction is welcome

Or maybe you can have it carved into your shoe sole, so if you get lost next winter people with a smart phone know who had been lost and call your family.

I don't know.

Maybe it's really hot air. I must confess that I prefer methods of communication that make sense to humans. Something simple like legible words.

Mike Anderson
17-Apr-2012, 12:25

PBR? Professional Bull Riding, or Pabst Blue Ribbon?

Mike Anderson
17-Apr-2012, 12:29
Or maybe you can have your QR printed on toilet paper?

QRs on T-shirts, that's old, same with QR tattoos. But QR on toilet paper? I think you're on to something there. Seriously.

Mike Anderson
17-Apr-2012, 12:32
QRs on T-shirts, that's old, same with QR tattoos. But QR on toilet paper? I think you're on to something there. Seriously.

I should have known, it's been done (http://jasongray.blogspot.com/2007/07/toilet-break.html). In 2007 no less.

Mike Anderson
17-Apr-2012, 12:37
OOOH SNAP. I could also put a picture of someone with an iphone taking a picture of a QR code with a QR code at the bottom linking the people to a place where you can get QR code software so that they can use the QR codes to visit my iphone gallery.

HOLY CRAP I THINK I JUST TURNED INTO A CONCEPTUAL PHOTOGRAPHER.

Eat it, Gursky!

Large format photography business forum: new home of the avant-garde.

Drew Bedo
17-Apr-2012, 12:59
OK . . .I think I may have got this done. Will someone check this out please? About ten years ago we switched from a stretched wire plan to 2-G technology and we can only make voice calls on our flip-phones.

This dhould direct you to:

www.quietlightphoto.com
and to
www.artsyhome.com

toyotadesigner
17-Apr-2012, 13:15
Drew, your code reads as follows:

www.quietlightphoto.com
http://www.artsyhome.com/?cat=&s=Drew+Bedo

you can check it here:

http://www.patrick-wied.at/static/qrgen/

Mike Anderson
8-Nov-2012, 15:42
Just found this blog:

Frank Petronio
8-Nov-2012, 17:51
I don't think it's really taken hold outside of the techy geek world. My iPhone-equipped family has no idea what it is, in spite of being bonded to their phones like an appendage.

I've used them on various things, not many hits. If I worked in the tech sector then I'd use them, maybe some ad agencies would be savvy.

Bob Salomon
9-Nov-2012, 04:55
I don't think it's really taken hold outside of the techy geek world. My iPhone-equipped family has no idea what it is, in spite of being bonded to their phones like an appendage.

I've used them on various things, not many hits. If I worked in the tech sector then I'd use them, maybe some ad agencies would be savvy.

Not even that crowd has caught on to it. We made two sheets of letter size paper for the PhotoPlus Show last month in NYC. Each sheet had all of our product lines listed along with a QR code that would directly lead to complete info on each product lines product ranges. The top of the sheet was labled "FOR FURTHER INFORMATION SCAN THE CODES".

These were on our showcase and on a table, both along the main aisle. Hardly anyone scanned the codes.

Supplying literature and information at tradeshows by QR codes represent tremendous cost savings in the manning of a tradeshow booth. Most of you probably are not aware of the DRAYAGE charge at trade shows. This is a charge by the show decorator for receiving the merchandise exhibited at a show in the USA. It is based on the incoming weight and is the charge for receiving the merchadise, storing it in their warehouse (if an advanced shipment) or at the show facility. Bringing it to the booth, removing and storing the empties during the show, returning the empties to the booth at the end of the show and taking the filled return shipment to the warehouse or loading dock for return from the show.

The catch to drayage charge is that it is always based on the weight of the incoming shipment (except for publishers) and that incoming shipment contains a vast amount of print materiL that is given away during the show, as well as giveaways like bags to hold the literature at some companies.

So the outgoing charge is based on incoming weight even though the outgoing is far less heavy then the incoming weight. This drive up costs dramatically. QR coding can eliminate almost all of that give-away printed material and deliver more info and the most current info.

Eric Rose
9-Nov-2012, 10:06
Depending on the client and their product I use them. They are quite useful and can generate a fair amount of traffic. However I feel the application for photographers is quite limited with the exception of maybe commercial photographers who's work is aimed at a younger early adopter demographic. I had one client who plastered their QR code on their business vehicles. The resulting business surpassed any other media they invested in with the exception of their SEO optimized website.

fionnguala
8-Jan-2013, 02:40
I had a QR code generated for me on a weird web site and included it on the back of a postcard for mailings. Nothing happened. First I thought: Hm, maybe the code is wrong. So I started to research if I could decode my QR code (as a png file). Uploaded it to different web site services and bingo - the QR code is correct. Which translates into the insight that QR code is not yet fully accepted. Or it is not yet accepted in my target group. Or it is too much hot air.

I don't know.

Oh, BTW, I tried to downscale it - unless you don't resample the QR code, it becomes blurry. I wonder how sharp the QR code must be to be 'readable' by apps...

If this situation happened, try another QR Code barcode generator. It may be because of your QR Code barcode generator. There many kinds of barcodes barcode generator according to the different platform you want to create barcodes in. For example, if you want to generate barcodes in VB.NET. You can put "VB.NET QR Code barcode generator with guide (http://www.onbarcode.com/vb_net/qr-code-generator.html)" in goole, thousands of barcode generators appear. Choose a good one to have a try.

Jac@stafford.net
13-Jan-2013, 09:11
[...] we don't seem to have any stats as to how many website hits we get from the codes.

Presuming your server generates a log file that you can access, you can track QR hits by having the code go to a very small page that immediately redirects to your main page. The log will show that QR hit as the name of the page. Try something like /QR/index.htm

sdfsfsafe
21-Apr-2013, 23:21
QR Code generator library (http://www.onbarcode.com/csharp/qr-code-generator.html) which allows size setting is not difficult to find. Just make full use of Google. This was the good generator I used last time. It also provides detailed guide of barcode image settings in C# (http://www.onbarcode.com/tutorial/csharp-barcode-imaging.html).

jp
22-Apr-2013, 04:00
I'm part of the geek world, and consider them wanna-be geeky items. Really it's easier to type a URL than start an app, compose a finicky camera just right, and pray it works.

Jim Andrada
22-Apr-2013, 23:13
Sort of like using your phone instead of a paper boarding pass. I've done it but its a PITA to make sure your phone is switched on at the right instant and has the bar code on the screen when the TSA folks want to scan it. I've gone back to paper. Just fold it up and stick it in your pocket and whip it out at the right time and hand it over and let them write on it. I average maybe 4 to 6 flights a week and I don't see very many people using the phone as a boarding pass.

katsunojiri
23-Apr-2013, 01:29
I have mine on my flyer as well as on my website.
Here is one of my website, scroll down and you will see it (http://www.sydneytreasuresphotography.com.au/) on the bottom left handside.
Sydney Treasures Photography

Jac@stafford.net
23-Apr-2013, 10:15
I have mine on my flyer as well as on my website.

Would it not be more convenient to the reader to just have a 'click here to bookmark'?