PDA

View Full Version : Navajo Guides

Martin Miller
7-Jan-2004, 13:50
Anyone know of reliable guides (and contact info) for Canyon de Chelly? What is the range of costs for their services?

Bruce Watson
7-Jan-2004, 14:11
This was asked just three days ago. See:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/497369.html

Mark_3632
7-Jan-2004, 14:31
Hogarth

that was for Monument valley. A many hour drive different.

Martin Call the monument and ask for Flemin Nave or one of his family members. I have known the family for years. Every one who has had them as guides has raved about them.

Frank Filippone
7-Jan-2004, 15:24
There is a difference... as I understand it at Monument Valley, you may drove on your own at prescribed hours and on the roads. No overnights. TRake a guide with you and you have lots of other options. At Canyon deChelly, you must have a guide to drive anywhere. Is this correct?

Mark_3632
7-Jan-2004, 18:25
It is not correct if you are on the rim of the canyon and visiting the various overlooks. There is one public trail into the canyon but you have to stay withing prescribed boundries. You cannot wonder around the canyon. You go to white house ruin then go back up the trail. It is like going to the grand canyon but does not charge. None of the overlooks close. Stay on the roads, pull off at designated areas and no off roading.

I live thirty miles from Canyon De Chelly. I have been going to the canyon for most of my life. I can definately say that if you are respectful people do not mind you taking pictures of the landscape or the canyon. It is no where near as restrictive as Monument Valley or Antelpoop crapyon.

QT Luong
7-Jan-2004, 22:26
Hitchman (photograph america newletter) recommends "Tex" Francis Carroll for the Canyon de Cheilly.

Martin Miller
8-Jan-2004, 19:09
Thanks for the great tips, guys. I will ask for these guides when I visit in April.. Martin (www.millervisuals.com)

bill proud
14-Jan-2004, 13:11
Martin,

If you can't find the other recommended guides you might try Deb Lem, who owns Ancient Paths Din'e Guiding Service. I've used her twice. She charges $25.00/ hr. 928-674-8180

Martin Miller
16-Jan-2004, 19:27
Thanks, Bill. I've added Deb Lem to my list.

Martin