PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying WOLLENSAK VERITO 11 1/4" f4 Lens

David Loney
7-Apr-2012, 13:04
71542715437154071541I've just bought a WOLLENSAK VERITO 11 1/4" f4 lens which doesn't seem right.
I have taken a couple of photos which to me and Jim Galli seem to be missing something.

Anyone who owns one of these lenses please help. I have two weeks left to return the lens for a refund.

Thank you.

Regards

David Loney71541715407154171540

Steven Tribe
7-Apr-2012, 13:21
Too short perhaps? Made to fit into a shutter at the join - even though it has a iris?
No front cell!? Iris should be in the middle- not up front.

SergeiR
7-Apr-2012, 13:25
shouldn't it have two cells ? One before iris and one after? (never had verito though.. but W anastigmat in 300mm that i have is like that. Then again - by removing front cell it becomes very soft..)

Mark Sawyer
7-Apr-2012, 13:31
Your aperture is way too close to the front. You may be missing a section of the barrel between the aperture and the front element, or the barrel section behind the aperture may belong in front of it. My 11.5 in a Studio Shutter is 4 7/8" long, front to back. The barrel between the shutter and the front element is 1 5/8" long, the section behind the aperture is 2 1/16" long. Hope this helps.

David A. Goldfarb
7-Apr-2012, 13:44
Should be another section of barrel between the front cell and iris.

William Whitaker
7-Apr-2012, 13:53
Are both cells present? I can't tell from your photos. It looks like the front barrel segment is what's missing, although I can't be certain. The barrel segments on these lenses have the same thread. They can be separated and rearranged out of order (or lost or misplaced). It appears that that is what happened to this lens, knowingly or unknowingly.

The writing on the cell that's visible would indicate that it is the front cell. If that's the only cell you have, then the rear cell is missing. A front cell is a single element; the rear cell is a doublet. The rear cell of an 11 1/4" Verito has a 20" focal length. The front cell alone will have a much longer focal length. A rear cell alone will still give you a functioning lens, albeit not what you ordered. A front cell by itself is useless.

Either way, send it back for a refund.

David Loney
7-Apr-2012, 13:53
Yes last image is the fully assembled lens. I didn't realise that these are such big lenses. The images on the website that were selling the lens were lousy. I emailed them and they said the lens was complete.
It was only £220 in the UK.

Also where the two parts screw together the front section is about 1mm wider making me think there is a middle section missing.

Your aperture is way too close to the front. You may be missing a section of the barrel between the aperture and the front element, or the barrel section behind the aperture may belong in front of it. My 11.5 in a Studio Shutter is 4 7/8" long, front to back. The barrel between the shutter and the front element is 1 5/8" long, the section behind the aperture is 2 1/16" long. Hope this helps.

David Loney
7-Apr-2012, 14:02
Yes the front cell is a single element and the rear is not a doublet but a single element too.

I thought it was too good to be true and thank you very much for your help.
The writing on the front of the cell would indicate that it is the front cell. If that's true, then it's the rear cell that's missing. A front cell is a single element; the rear cell is a doublet. Can you tell what this is? The rear cell of an 11 1/4" Verito has about a 20" focal length. The front cell alone will have a much longer focal length. A rear cell alone will still give you a functioning lens, albeit not what you ordered. A front cell by itself is useless unless you want to just display it on a camera.

The barrel segments on these lenses have the same thread. They can be separated and rearranged out of order (or lost or misplaced). It appears that that is what happened to this lens, knowingly or unknowingly. Send it back for a refund.

David Loney
7-Apr-2012, 14:03
Thank you to everyone who has helped.

I have decided to return the lens and get a refund and look for a complete lens.

Thanks again.

Steven Tribe
7-Apr-2012, 14:12
You are very welcome, David!
A wise decision.

William Whitaker
7-Apr-2012, 14:17
Yes the front cell is a single element and the rear is not a doublet but a single element too.

Somewhere there's a Verito with two rear cells...

Mark Sawyer
7-Apr-2012, 14:48
The rear doublet is cemented and may look like a single element. It should focus at 20 inches without the front element, (Verito's are convertible). It could just be missing the barrel section, (which you'd probably never find a replacement for), or it may be a mish-mash of parts that just happen to fit together. Returning it is probably the best move.

David A. Goldfarb
7-Apr-2012, 14:59
If the rear cell turns out to be correct, you could find out what it would cost for SK Grimes or another shop to make a new front barrel section and ask for a refund in that amount.

Corran
7-Apr-2012, 17:49
Here's a photo of my 11.5" Verito on an 8x10. You've obviously got it worked out but for reference...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7iAYZna7FfM/T1qVDCVhzXI/AAAAAAAAAow/18s9rrFsp-g/s1600/BRY_4481s.JPG