PDA

View Full Version : Utah in Early May

Frank Petronio
6-Apr-2012, 12:18
I never lived in Utah in early May and this Winter has been weird anyway, but where and what would you hippie tree-huggers and desert rats do if you had 3.5 days and rental car out of SLC in early May?

I'm mostly interested in landscape and Mormon weirdness, not girls.

Drew Wiley
6-Apr-2012, 12:32
You'll need to do your homework and starting dressing and talking like a hippie
(the last we had in this neighborhood were caught and taxidermied for the Smithsonian -
you could do some research there). Tie die clothing mandatory. Then show up unannounced somewhere like Colorado City with a video camera and bogus FBI badge
hanging from your bead necklace.

Brian K
6-Apr-2012, 13:21
Frank, 3.5 days barely scratches the surface of Utah. Landscape wise you can do the predictable, the national parks, or you could do shooting around the great salt lake and bonneville (wendover) , I have found the area south of salt lake, Utah lake area, to be quite photogenic. Then there's the areas west of salt lake city in the Wasatch mountains to be interesting and even going well north of SLC into lower idaho or south west wyoming. Way too many choices and too short a stay.

Frank Petronio
6-Apr-2012, 13:34
OH I know but baby steps.... ;-)

I'd like to go out around the Lakes I think, But revisiting Alta would be interesting since it is a low snow year and it may even be patchy by then. Try to get up really early and be out before dawn to 9am or so, then the same pattern in the evening, so some scouting and notes are nice. Although I would shoot a backlit or Noontime photo without hesitation....

sethlatimer
6-Apr-2012, 13:36
Depending on the ground clearance of the rental I would think of driving to the spiral jetty? It is a weird landscape!

Also, I've been thinking alot about how to take pictures in the cottonwood canyons so I am really interested in how things go for you.

Sam Thompson
6-Apr-2012, 14:39
North of SLC:
Antelope Island.
Spiral Jetty. They've been maintaining the road recently so a rental wouldn't be a problem.
Bear Lake. Unusual blue color for a fresh water lake.

ROL
6-Apr-2012, 15:12
I'm mostly interested in landscape and Mormon weirdness, not girls.

I wouldn't be so quick to discount Mormon girl weirdness.

Old-N-Feeble
6-Apr-2012, 15:35
ROL... REALLY?... now you have my girl-meter peaked!!

Frank Petronio
6-Apr-2012, 15:38
Mormon girls are pretty hot and also predominately blonde-haired, blue-eyed, bikini loving all-American types and oftentimes rebellious. I lived there when I was 20. It was fun as long as you didn't try to marry them, which I had no intention of. I was an eeyyyyeetalian from New York City, never mind if I drove a F-100 and I grew up on a farm 350 miles Upstate and hadn't even visited the city yet (which in 1980 was a scary place, we heard horror stories, lol).

Old-N-Feeble
6-Apr-2012, 15:40
OMG... This semi-old geezer needs to move there while his developing tube still works.

sethlatimer
6-Apr-2012, 16:00
Sometimes, depending on the trial schedules, you can find flocks of polygamists at one of the courthouses on 4th south. It seems like they are over there once every couple weeks. They are definitely weird.

BrianShaw
6-Apr-2012, 16:29
Mormon girls are pretty hot and also predominately blonde-haired, blue-eyed, bikini loving all-American types and oftentimes rebellious.

... ain't that the truth!

Old-N-Feeble
6-Apr-2012, 16:33
... ain't that the truth!

I've heard this from other guys... I need to move to Utah before my developer fails completely. I never figgered Mormon girls would have my attention so intently but... oh... my... goodness...

Frank Petronio
6-Apr-2012, 17:11
I've heard this from other guys... I need to move to Utah before my developer fails completely

With the snazzy metaphors you like to use, something is bound to develop.

BrianShaw
6-Apr-2012, 17:14
As long as we're telling stories here... how about checking out the girls in Beaver? That town always made me laugh.

madmax12
6-Apr-2012, 17:20
Grew up There. When the sun goes down .... well you get the picture. Great Salt Lake has some nice stuff out there . You can go up any canyon and there are lots of things to see. There are two members here who live there now that might help you out. One in logan and other in ogden Names are Robert Hall and Michael Slade
. I will be there the first week in May visiting and some photos and fishing

madmax12
6-Apr-2012, 17:20
As long as we're telling stories here... how about checking out the girls in Beaver? That town always made me laugh.

Beaver is a cool little town nice people there

BrianShaw
6-Apr-2012, 17:22
Beaver is a cool little town nice people there

I found it to be very nice. Last time I was there it was just a little dificult to get a good cup of coffee. Maybe things have changed since the 1980's.

BrianShaw
6-Apr-2012, 17:23
p.s. I also liked St. George. Most of those small UT towns are quite nice. Only one I didn't like (too redneck) was Tooele.

madmax12
6-Apr-2012, 17:30
yea tooele is big time red neck millionaires types But any where else you will enjoy the people. St George has lots of stuff to shoot even some pictoglyphs I think that is how its spelled lol. Just right out side town Right next to a large polygamist house

scm
6-Apr-2012, 17:36
Where are you staying while you're here, Frank? I'd be happy to show you around for a day, head up one of the canyons or out to the lake or something.

ROL
6-Apr-2012, 17:37

This is just becoming way to easy.

Mike Anderson
7-Apr-2012, 10:13
Well if you've been there I guess you already know BYOB.

Old-N-Feeble
7-Apr-2012, 10:14
^^^ But no need to BYOP....

Mike Anderson
7-Apr-2012, 11:08
I think Mormon girls are being misrepresented here. As a group they're one of the most, er, socially conservative I've known. And I've known many Mormons.

BrianShaw
7-Apr-2012, 11:31
I think Mormon girls come in all types. I know a few too. Some are conservative and pure of heart. Others are just like anyone else.

Frank Petronio
7-Apr-2012, 11:36
It's a moot point at this point anyway.

Now Jack Mormons, those kids are almost as dangerous as the local Mennonite kids learning how to drink and drive pick-ups.

Old-N-Feeble
7-Apr-2012, 12:04
^^^ Oh, what I wouldn't give to have my youth/health back and learn all about them... :)

Sideshow Bob
7-Apr-2012, 12:57
yea tooele is big time red neck millionaires types But any where else you will enjoy the people. St George has lots of stuff to shoot even some pictoglyphs I think that is how its spelled lol. Just right out side town Right next to a large polygamist house

Wait a minute! I was born in Tooele!

Mr.Gale

Old-N-Feeble
7-Apr-2012, 13:05
So, Mr. Gale... have you been exposed to any o' those "pyctographs"? Were they as nice as others have stated? Did you go blind as your parents warned you? :D

madmax12
8-Apr-2012, 07:59
I will learn to spell one day LOL

eddie
13-Apr-2012, 08:22
I found it to be very nice. Last time I was there it was just a little difficult to get a good cup of coffee. Maybe things have changed since the 1980's.

yeah! a bit. you should have been there in the 70s! we could not get hard rolls, sub sandwiches, pizza, good coffee, good cheeses, etc etc.

but shooting the jack rabbits was great fun!

frank, just follow your nose......:)

Frank Petronio
13-Apr-2012, 10:40
Thanks I am all set. They are my old stomping grounds anyway so it will be nice to go and bomb around without feeling like I should be skiing this time.

BrianShaw
13-Apr-2012, 11:05
Enjoy!

Curtis Nelson
13-Apr-2012, 15:13
Spend at least a day driving along US 12 between Bryce Canyon and Torrey. You can thank me later.