PDA

View Full Version : Getting into mail order processing. I have a few questions.

ArchersTest
5-Apr-2012, 11:12
So these seem pretty simple but it seems those are the hardest to find definitive answers to. I haven't decided on a lab yet but I'm hoping to start shooting color negative and slide 4x5 sometime soon.

My questions are:

1. It sounds like the common convention on mailing film is putting it in a light tight box like it was originally in and shipping that to the lab(obviously in another container or envelope). So, where can I find empty 4x5 boxes? I haven't shot enough to have empty ones lying around at my disposal.

2. Do I need to mark the package so that it is handled appropriately as it contains exposed film? (Any scans or x-rays that it shouldn't be exposed to?)

3. Do most labs return everything you sent them? Film box and all?

4. Any tips you have for mail order processing?

I will be going through this site looking at where people seem to recommend in the next few days/weeks. I live in VT and attend school in northern NY so If you know of any smaller local labs in the area that I very well could have missed please point them out to me! I would be very grateful!

Preston
5-Apr-2012, 13:10
I use mail order to process my cut sheets. Here's what I do...

1. In the dark: Unload film into the cardboard sleeve. The sleeve goes in the foil pouch. Pouch with film goes into the 3-piece box.
2. After removing the box from my changing bag, I seal it with tape. I then attach a note to it with my name, the number of sheets, and whether it's E-6 or C-41, and the type of developing I want; 'N' for Normal, 'N+1' for Normal plus 1 stop, 'N-1' for Normal minus 1 stop. Note: If you have different developing times for a number of sheets, these will need to go into separate boxes, and labeled accordingly.
3. I fill out the vendor's mail order form in full, fold it and attach it to film box with a rubber band.
4. All this goes into a sturdy box for mailing. I haven't had any issues with x-ray, so I don't woory about it.
5. I use USPS Priority Mail and insure the package to cover the cost of unexposed film should something go awry.
6. Off it goes.

My lab returns my developed film in a box, but not necessarily the one I sent to them. Some labs may do so, but I wouldn't count on it. You could ask your lab

"4. Any tips you have for mail order processing?" A little prayer doesn't hurt. :-)

Best of luck!

--P

Frank Petronio
5-Apr-2012, 13:18
The lab will send u boxes for cost of postage.

http://www.4photolab.com is Praus in Rochester, recommended.