PDA

View Full Version : Optical viewfinder hunt

Rudgey
5-Apr-2012, 02:08
I'm looking for an optical viewfinder to help me to previsualise different lenses of the subject before I set up my 5x4. I really like the Linhof Master Technika 45 viewfinder but at $1770 is way too much!
You don't really see them second hand, does anyone know of a cheaper alternative?

vinny
5-Apr-2012, 04:57
Ebay.
Search the forum, there was a recent thread on this.

Tony Lakin
5-Apr-2012, 05:32
http://www.rockycameras.com/computar-focal-length-finder-for-cctv-lenses--nice--4999-24927-p.asp

I use one of these, I used stick on labels to write scales matching the focal lengths of my 6x7, 5x4 and 8x10 lenses, on 8x10 covers focal length range from 210mm to way beyond 600mm.

Rudgey
5-Apr-2012, 05:48
Did a search on the forum and found a link to viewfinder pro as a iPhone app and this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Zoom-Viewfinder-4x5-6x12-6x17-Large-Format-Camera-/270582159498?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item3efff4188a
Which is what I went for as it had good reviews, is cheap and will go in my pocket.

Tony Lakin
5-Apr-2012, 05:55
Are you saying that you have purchased one of these? I purchased one and found it to be difficult to use I then found the Computar which in my humble opinion is greatly superior.

Edited to add the Gaoersi finder is not a zoom finder it is a wide angle finder with masking blades, the Computar is an optical zoom.

Hope this info helps

good luck

Rudgey
5-Apr-2012, 06:00
Are you saying that you have purchased one of these? I purchased one and found it to be difficult to use I then found the Computar which in my humble opinion is greatly superior.

Yes I ordered it, the reason I like it is because it covers the two lenses I have, 90 & 210mm and is small.
Others on the forum said it was good for the price, not looking to use on the camera.

Noah A
5-Apr-2012, 06:21
I use the viewfinder app, and it works really well within its limits, which are mostly imposed by the lens in your iphone. On my 4S, the 120mm frame doesn't quite fit within the camera's view, though it's close enough to use (I can see the side framelines but the top and bottom ones are not visibile). With longer lenses it works great. With wider lenses you'd need an accessory wideangle lens for the iphone. If you don't mind getting a small accessory lens for your phone, it would be perfect. I'd do so except that as-is, it still works well enough for me.

I use my 120, 150 and 210 for 99% of my work, and within that range it's brilliant. It's a helpful tool for location scouting since you can save a photo (with the framelines) and it will be tagged with the GPS location. Within the app, you can later choose to view that location on a map. You can also export the photos to your camera roll, and from there to dropbox or anywhere else, so you can save them for future reference (especially useful to remember where you took the actual photo).

rdenney
5-Apr-2012, 06:40
I use the viewfinder app, and it works really well within its limits, which are mostly imposed by the lens in your iphone.

You could always buy that $200 iPro (http://www.iprolens.com/index.php) wide-angle supplemental lens kit for your iPhone from Schneider. In my perfect geek world (well-funded, that is), I'd have it.

Rick "who nearly always has the phone with him anyway, but not necessarily that grenade-looking handle/case for the lenses" Denney

premortho
5-Apr-2012, 09:26
Gee whiz, all of this hassle and expense to replace the optical viewfinder from a Speed Graphic. I've seen these on that famous/notorious auction site for short money. And the masks for various focal lengths as well.:cool:

Kirk Gittings
5-Apr-2012, 09:39
As the risk of sounding like an old fart here, though its not perfect, I just use my hands. Thumbs touching fingers up is a 4x5 frame, a full thumb to pinky spread from my nose is a 210-index finger length away is a 90. One less thing to carry around. KISS for me.

John Schneider
5-Apr-2012, 09:55
The older Linhof Universal finders are eminently usable and often under $200 used, e.g., http://www.keh.com/camera/Large-Format-Prisms-and-Viewfinders/1/sku-LF139990170550?r=FE

Rudgey
5-Apr-2012, 10:09
As the risk of sounding like an old fart here, though its not perfect, I just use my hands. Thumbs touching is a 4x5 frame, a full thumb to pinky spread from my nose is a 210-index finger length away is a 90. One less thing to carry around. KISS for me.

But I've got short arms so can only go up to 150mm :-)