PDA

View Full Version : Voigtlander Artistique lens? huh ?

CCHarrison
4-Apr-2012, 14:48
I met my match. I can find no references for a lens someone asked me to identify....

I dont know anything more than the photo shows.... anyone? 225mm f/6

Dan

Steven Tribe
4-Apr-2012, 15:41
Dangerous ground!

Nothing where I usually look.

But this couldn't be an (early) version of the W.Z soft enlarging lens could it?.

That was only a 18cm F9 lens. This could be something that never found it's way into the catalogue. Voigtländer describe the WZ as having "malerischer Weichkeit" which is close to Artistique.

The WZ was with symmetrical single meniscus lenses so should be easily identifed.

Or Voigtländer decided to scrap this simple taking lens design and turned it into the WZ enlarger lens and make it slower/smaller as well?

Tim Deming
5-Apr-2012, 08:19
Cool!

Being an f6, I'd guess it's a RR (rapid euryscop) type lens. Never seen one labeled like this before, but the barrel is definitely Voigtlander style, and they made a lot of different Euryscop variations (such as the Major and Minor lenses, which were RR types, but not marked eurysop). It 's similar in F.L. to a Euryscop Series IV #1. From the ser # (84xxx), I'd guess it was made after the Series IV was no longer in production (replaced by series IVa, f7).

cheers

Tim

renes
6-Apr-2012, 09:06
Has anybody seen any photo made with Woigtlander W.Z f/9 lens? Famous lens but no shots to see.

Geoffrey_5995
6-Apr-2012, 10:14
Dan, What is the optical formula? Have you disassembled and examined it? Did you check reflections? Thanks, Geoff

Tim Deming
6-Apr-2012, 11:17
Has anybody seen any photo made with Woigtlander W.Z f/9 lens? Famous lens but no shots to see.

I've made a couple, and I think Ole T. has as well (described in another thread). I dont have a decent scanner for my photos or negs, but they were very mushy and unimpressive. I'm glad I only paid ~10 Euro for the lens.

cheers

Tim

cdholden
7-Apr-2012, 06:23
I've made a couple, and I think Ole T. has as well (described in another thread). I dont have a decent scanner for my photos or negs, but they were very mushy and unimpressive. I'm glad I only paid ~10 Euro for the lens.

cheers

Tim

Tim,
Maybe the mush is due to a reversed element or group? Can you tell if the lens formula is the same as, or similar to anything else?

Chris

Tim Deming
7-Apr-2012, 09:06
Tim,
Maybe the mush is due to a reversed element or group? Can you tell if the lens formula is the same as, or similar to anything else?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Not much to reverse, the lens is just 2 elements, as described by Stephen above: opposed single meniscii. As Stephen also mentioned, it was not sold as a taking lens, but a "softener" for use in enlarging, which was not a good idea AFAIK. Mine is in barrel mount (some are found in shutter) so maybe mine had a different correction that made it less useful at longer focusing distances?

cheers

Tim

seawolf66
17-Apr-2012, 09:34
If the Iris numbers run- 6-12-24-48-etc : it could be a Goerz lens
The Stolze system as used on German made Goerz lenses?

Steven Tribe
17-Apr-2012, 10:19
Well spotted!
The iris scale is extremely odd. It would surely more recognisable if it was the modern system or the other common varieties.
Voigtländer used the Voigtläander Collinear scale (4, 8, 16...) which I have only seen in F scale comparison tables- where 6 was about F.8.