PDA

View Full Version : Thornward Anastigmat 8x10 info wanted

John Brady
4-Apr-2012, 11:56
I just acquired this lens, Thornward Anastigmat 8x10 in an Optimo shutter. The aperture scale reads 2.8 to 256.
I don't know anything about it, as in what focal length? Is it a soft focus portrait lens? What is the value?
The lens has no caps and the shutter works but seams a little sticky. Other than that it is in very nice condition.

I bought it from a guy that never used it but needed the cash, I may have over paid. Any information on this lens would be appreciated!

www.timeandlight.com

Louis Pacilla
4-Apr-2012, 12:56
Your lens is a re-branded 12" f6.8 Wollensak Vinco . Sold by Montgomery Wards & Co. They sold lenses under the brand name was "Thornward".

Your stops are in "US" and not "F" so US 2.8=f 6.8. It is a sharp Anastigmatic lens of medium speed and a lower priced lens in it's day. It is Not soft focus and certainly would not be considered a "Portrait" but an all around lens. That said it certainly could be used as a portrait lens with good results.

Value is hard to say but I would guess under $200 and that's mostly for the nice shutter.

John Brady
4-Apr-2012, 13:11
Bummer, I was hoping it was some kind of crazy fast lens. So $500 wasn't a very good deal, dang! Thank you for the quick reply and info.

premortho
5-Apr-2012, 11:35
Well, I think $200.00 in a shutter is somewhat low. In fact, if I could find one that nice for $250.00 I might just jump on it.;)
Bummer, I was hoping it was some kind of crazy fast lens. So $500 wasn't a very good deal, dang! Thank you for the quick reply and info.

E. von Hoegh
5-Apr-2012, 14:56
You might want to try that lens, Wollensak made some very fine lenses.