PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest heavy duty tripod with boom head

sully75
4-Apr-2012, 11:34
Hi All,

On my wishlist: a tripod that could support a Chamonix 4x5 with a boom arm, so that I could shoot straight down. Also that can get really close to the floor. Could be/should be heavy and old as sh1t. Chief requirements are cheap(ish) and solid. Is there some old sort of tripod that's easily available and not too insanely expensive I should be on the lookout for?

Greg Lockrey
4-Apr-2012, 11:38
Feisol 3471 with the offset arm attachment is probably the least expensive and still be in the good category.

AnselAdamsX
4-Apr-2012, 11:58
I have a Gitzo Aluminum Explorer which might fit the bill. It's not heavy at 5lbs but it has a hook to hang a counter weight from. The legs can be spread out horizontally to get it on the ground or you might be able to hang the camera from the boom. I've hung a D300 with a Macro lens from it. I have a Chaminox 5x7 on the way that I can test it out with. I've used a 6lb Wista SP 4x5 on it. Although I didn't try pointing it straight down or hanging it.

DKirk
4-Apr-2012, 14:16
Have a look for a Benbo or Uni-Loc - seems pretty rigdid with my MPP. Plus you can splay it out and it's very easy to use on uneven ground.

Jim Andrada
4-Apr-2012, 14:17
Couple of light stands with a couple of Manfrotto Super clamps (or equiv holding a piece of 1 1/2" or 2" pipe between them and another super clamp in the middle of the pipe rigged to hold the camera???

John Koehrer
4-Apr-2012, 16:33
If you already have a decent tripod get a "lateral arm" Gitzo had a couple, one geared and one "rapid". The Rapid variety like to twist even when locked down.
The geared version is like their geared center columns on the 3 & 4 series tripods, It just don't get no better. =o)

William Whitaker
4-Apr-2012, 16:37
Two step ladders, a 2x6 and a head that will clamp (or bolt) to it.

Frank Petronio
4-Apr-2012, 16:46
1/4-20 bolt and concrete blocks. Anything with a bolt sticking up that you can clamp or mount to a wall, truck, etc.

Or a $40 Majestic without the arm but with the geared head that will stick you 8-12" off axis. Other good oldies are Husky Quicksets.

It had better be a heavy tripod, this is where the lightweight ones will tip over.

Another thing you could do is use your current tripod with two legs long, one short, then use the head and camera movements to get you the rest of the way. Use sandbags or whatever you can come up with to brace it. Even a chair.

vinny
4-Apr-2012, 17:42
I just use a piece of 3" x3/8" aluminum (18" long" with a hole in each end tapped for 3/8" threads. screw your head on one end and an eye bolt through the other to your tripod's base plate. Hang a 15lb sand back off the eyebolt under the tripod. Works with any tripod that has a flat baseplate.