PDA

View Full Version : Panel discussion for "Contemplative Landscape"

Kirk Gittings
4-Apr-2012, 09:26
Contemplative Landscape (http://media.museumofnewmexico.org/events.php?action=detail&eventID=774)Panel Discussion. Coming up Sunday the 29th of this month at 2:00 at the New Mexico History Museum, Santa Fe in the auditorium. Looking to see a lot of friends and colleagues there. Panelists are myself, Don Usner, Ed Ranney and Janet Russek-all very accomplished artists with great stories. Each will give a short individual presentation and then join in a panel discussion.

The discussion will be led by the curator of the exhibit:

Mary Anne Redding
Chair, Photography Department
Marion Center for Photographic Arts
Santa Fe University of Art and Design

I really hope to see you there. Seating is limited. The exhibit is up through December. If you haven't ben to the new history museum, it is the premier public exhibition space in the state now.

Richard Wasserman
4-Apr-2012, 10:40
Kirk,

This should very interesting, I'm sorry I'm too far away to attend. Good luck!

cdholden
4-Apr-2012, 10:53
Kirk,

This should very interesting, I'm sorry I'm too far away to attend. Good luck!

Kirk,
Ditto for me too. I would be interested in attending, but my schedule and the location of the panel discussion make that impossible for me.
Is there any chance that video highlights or podcasts might be available afterward for downloading?
Good luck with it.

Chris

Kirk Gittings
4-Apr-2012, 11:27
Thanks all. I'll try and find out if it is being taped.

Heroique
4-Apr-2012, 12:15
Who’d miss a discussion with a panelist like this:

“Given the keys to a church to photograph at his leisure, Kirk Gittings would sit in the pews, breathe the scent of candlewax and reconnect with the saints.”

They must mean Saint Ansel. ☺

The museum’s “Exhibition Details” are a fun, informative read & very well done. And the exhibit itself sounds like a great reason to plan a trip to the High Southwest this year. If shooting in the area, I wouldn’t want to miss this year-long event.

Kirk Gittings
4-Apr-2012, 14:00
Thanks. Look me up if you do.

Jan Pietrzak
23-Apr-2012, 04:16
Hi all

Just a reminder this Sunday the 29th, The Traveling Kirk Gittings Photo Show will be in Santa Fe. It should be a fun time.

Jan Pietrzak

rdenney
23-Apr-2012, 05:22
Kirk, do you know of anything cooking for the last week in May? Turns out I'll probably be in Albuquerque that week. Usually, my business travel misses events like these by only a week, not a whole month.

Rick "not allowed to have any fun when traveling" Denney

Kirk Gittings
23-Apr-2012, 09:20
Jan, Thanks for the bump-it does feel that way recently! Did you get my email a couple of weeks back about the after party?

Rick, unfortunately I will be in Chicago then teaching my architectural photography class. Sorry to miss you. I would love to meet up sometime.

Kirk Gittings
24-Apr-2012, 08:07
from the press release:

Santa Fe (April 20)—Join moderator Mary Anne Redding, curator of Contemplative Landscape, at 2 pm on Sunday, April 29, for a discussion among some of the photographers represented in the exhibition about their long-term commitments to photographing places both special and sacred in New Mexico.

Kirk Gittings, Ed Ranney, Janet Russek, Sharon Stewart, and Don Usner—will show and discuss their photographs. This event, part of the programming series for Illuminating the Word: The Saint John’s Bible and Contemplative Landscape is in the History Museum Auditorium. Attendance is free with admission; Sundays are free to NM residents.

Together, the artists’ works represent faith traditions ranging from ancient Native American practices to Hispanic Catholic rituals to roadside evangelicalism to modern-day Buddhists, each of which has found a home in places like the Galisteo Basin, Chimayo, Black Mesa, San Ildefonso, Cabezon and Abiquiu.

Kirk Gittings
27-Apr-2012, 13:34
Bump....hope to see some of the locals there!