PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Technika Super Angulon 165mm f8

tim atherton
3-Jan-2004, 21:25
Anyone know anything about the (funny looking...) shutters that these came in (at one time, anyway - late 50's early sixties)?

Ernest Purdum
4-Jan-2004, 07:08
Tim, I guees you are talking about the "Compound" shutters made by Friedrich Deckel, the Compur people. The Compound was a pneumatic shutter, controlled by the little cylinder behind the speed dial. For some reason, Deckel didn't want to make a clockwork shutter in the larger sizes. They were a hybrid design, requiring cocking for the instantaneous settings, but not for bulb and time. Sometimes they are injured by somebody trying to force them to cock when in a bulb or time setting. Aside from this, their manufacture was of very high quality and as a result they are quite reliable. They usually respond very well to routine cleaning. The timed speeds are less accurate than a clockork shutter at its best. You need to remember to wait a moment after cocking for the air pressure to equalize or the speed will be too short. I suspect that at very high altitude you might find timed speeds short, also.

Later, they were replaced by the Electronic 5FS. This was a much more advanced shutter than anything available for LF since. It gave really precise timing with a maximum duration of 32 seconds, if I remember correctly. There was a remote control. Unfortunately, they were priced very high (even though resistors and capacitors are much cheaper than precision clockwork gears). They did not sell well and were soon discontinued. Today, finding one working well would be great, but they are no longer supported and I don't know of any repairman willing to have anything to do with them.

Bob Salomon
4-Jan-2004, 09:11
"Friedrich Deckel, the Compur people"

Originally there was the LInhof shutter made by Valetin Linhof in Bavaria. He later decided to make the world's first all metal folding view camera with an adjustable back. So he sold his shutter business to his partner - Fredrich Deckel. Deckel then manufactured the shutter in Bavaria and at some point began the Compur name for the shutter. Later Deckel became part of the Zeiss Trust and Prontor/Compur were the shutters that they manufactured.

The Prontor works kept up the manufacturing of the Compur, Pronor Professional, Prontor Magnetic and Prontor Press shutters for photography into the 90's at which time all production was ended for lens shutters.

Prontor Werke still manufactures Prontor Magnetic industrial shutters one of which is being adapted to become a 3rd modern electronic shutter for camera lenses to take its' place beside the Rollei Linear Motor Shutter and the Horseman ISS shutter. Both Linhof and Schneider will offer control boxes for this Prontor Magnetic shutter so Linhof is going full circle from the inventor of what became the Compur family of shutters to the latest electronic shutter using the last shutter still available from Prontor Werke for large format lenses.

tim atherton
4-Jan-2004, 10:06
It's not a copound hsutter

Bob - any idea of the shutter (of course I ahven't got the lens yet so I'm going by a photo I'll try and post).

It's the Super Angulon - normally these seem to come with soemthing like a Copal 3 - sticking out like the rings of saturn from the waist of the lens.

This seems to almost fit within the thickness of the waist of the lens (a bit wider) and as it has no top or bottom suface, just the outer edge, all the controls etc are around this outer edge

Some kind of Compur?

tim atherton
4-Jan-2004, 10:10
http://www.theedge.ca/timatherton/angulon_01.jpg

Bob Salomon
4-Jan-2004, 11:38
The Linhof Camera Story - Second Edition, pictures a Kardan B 5x7 from the side with a lens with that shutter on page 73. No information is given on the lens or the shutter. No other info is given but I probably can find something else when we return to the office tomorrow.

tim atherton
4-Jan-2004, 11:59
Never thought of that - my "Linhof" Large Fromat Photogoraphy book from 1973 by Grossbild Technik has a picture of one, but it doesn't seem to have anything about the shutter in the following section on shutters. But looking at the design and palcing of the knobs it looks like some form of Compur - Compur III?

Leonard Robertson
4-Jan-2004, 12:40
Tim - I dug out my mid-1960s Schneider brochure which lists both Angulons and f8 Super Angulons (it must pre-date the f5.6 SAs). It gives the "Shutter Height" for the 165mm and 210mm SA as 1. For 75mm, 90mm, and 121mm SA it is 0, and for 47mm and 65mm SA it is 00. I am assuming the numbers refer to Compur shutter sizes. In the January 1968 Burleigh Brooks prices list that came with this brochure, the "Shutter Size" is the same as above , except the 121mm is shown as "0 spec." and the 165mm and 210mm are shown as "1 spec.". If "spec." is an abreviation for Special, there must have been something different about these shutters, maybe the controls, maybe the thread size. This 1968 price list does show f5.6 Super Angulons. The only Schneider lenses shown available in Compound shutters were the 210mm, 240mm, and 300mm f4.5 Xenars, and the 300mm and 360mm Symmars. Everything else is listed as coming in Compur or Prontor Press mechanical shutters, with some lenses available in Prontor or Compur Electronic shutters. What is the approx. outer diameter of your shutter?

Ole Tjugen
4-Jan-2004, 13:28
There were two different shutters used for these lenses; the "normal" sychro-Compur", and a special version modified for wide-angle lenses. These had all the controls around the edge, to make them easier to use when fitted with a narow-waisted lens. The product number for the special shutter was CS-1307-622, the "normal" Compur was CN-1307-000.

All this frm a 1962 Compur repair manual...