PDA

View Full Version : Sinar F2..step up from Cambo SC????

stradibarrius
1-Apr-2012, 14:11
I currently have a 4x5 Cambo SC and has GAS for a 4x5 Sinar F2. They are both about the same weight. The F2 packs up more compactly from what I've read. The F2 seems to have more refined movements?
From those who have had real experience with both is the F2 a real step or are they about the same from a usability/quality standpoint?

rdenney
1-Apr-2012, 15:06
I have one of each, and the Sinar is indeed a step up from an SC.

Here are my reasons:

1.) The Sinar's 12" base rail with easy extensions means I can use short lenses without the rail either being in the picture or poking me in the chest. But if I need to focus a long lens, I can throw on an extension without even removing the camera from the tripod. With the SC, one has to move the standard to a different rail altogether to solve that problem, or, more commonly, massage that bruise in the middle of their chest every evening.

2.) The SC's axial tilts use an offset scale and lock screw that sticks out in front of the standard. That apparatus limits how close the standards can get to each other. If you reverse the rear standard to get them closer, then that locking apparatus interferes with inserting film holders and withdrawing dark slides.

3.) The SC cannot accommodate a 47mm lens even on a recessed board. A 65mm lens requires a recessed board. The Sinar will accommodate both on flat boards with the right bellows.

4.) The U frames on the SC consume much more space than the rise/fall apparatus on a Sinar.

5.) The Sinar has functional depth-of-field and tilt scales, though that is not an advantage for me since I learned on cameras without those features. But it's useful for some folks.

6.) The Sinar boards are smaller, but still big enough to accommodate big lenses.

7.) The Sinar provides the option of a camera-mounted shutter for use with barrel lenses.

8.) The Sinar's movements are yaw-free, which I think is more impressive in brochures than in reality. But for product photographers who need to be able to repeat setups with precision, it's efficient. For landscapes, it's a wash as far as I'm concerned.

9.) The ability to use a spare bellows as a compendium shade wtih a hexagonal rod and a couple of plastic clips is a real advantage for the Sinar. The SC Compendium shade is not bad, but it takes up a lot of space in the case.

10.) The SC ground-glass frame doesn't have such tall edges around the screen, making it easier to sight through the notched corners to check coverage with short lenses.

11.) The Sinar releases for the bellows and boards are a little less likely to be misused in practice. A couple of times, I slid that release on the Cambo the wrong way and released the lens board instead of the bellows. The Sinar lock levers are separate, and I've never had the issue with the Sinar.

Both are fully usable system cameras with lots of available goodies on the used market. If the above issues are not relevant to the work that you do, then there might be no reason to change. I've certainly produced more and better work with the Cambo, but then it was my primary camera for 25 years, while I'm still getting my feet wet with the Sinar.

The Sinar is definitely more beatifully made than the Cambo, because it targeted a different price point back in the day. But that doesn't affect function so much--both are well enough made to work well.

Rick "for whom support for short lenses appropriate for roll-film formats was the driving reason to upgrade" Denney

cdholden
1-Apr-2012, 15:16
My two favorites:

1) The Sinar Shutter
a) combined with a universal iris clamp, barrel lenses are easier to use
b) the DB system makes your kit lighter by having one shutter instead of many (I don't use this though)
c) with the correct cable and adapter to the rear carrier, shutter can automatically close and be ready for use once a filmholder is inserted and seated.

2) The Sinar Tripod Head

Chris

Frank Petronio
1-Apr-2012, 16:05
Cambo makes a good camera and now they are an excellent value. I probably wouldn't bother upgrading to a standard Sinar F or F1, but the Sinar F2 is a very nice camera that is more robust than its earlier versions and all the controls seems smoother and tighter to me. There are a fair number of plastic parts but they are well designed and appropriate.

I also like the older Sinar Norma, which is mostly beautifully machined metal. It also has "U" standards but is not as tall as the F-P series so I think total volume is about the same, only differently shaped.

Frankly I've seen and felt enough abused Sinar Normas to think that buying a F2 may be a better bet. They are not as beautiful as a Norma but they are smooth and solid, and likely to be less trashed than how many people over-tightened and cranked too hard on their Normas. I'd buy either based on condition first and foremost - once you find a clean one you're good.

The Cambos are just a little cruder. I remember doing a vertical studio shot once and watching my boss's Cambo front standard "walk" down the rail because he couldn't get it tight enough to lock down. That simply won't happen with a Sinar unless it is trashed. But for normal shoots it was fine, it got him through RIT OK. He upgraded after that.

Another fine camera that goes for about the same price are the Linhof monorails, the only downside being a rarity of readily available used parts like bellows. They are simply the finest made of all the cameras and a great value, but they have more fragile bellows and, after 30 years they often need replacement. A factory bellows can cost more than the total cost of a new camera. Also expansion rails, bag bellows, etc. are scarce used at good prices. But keep an eye out as sometimes someone will sell a nicely maintained outfit for a song.

Alan Gales
1-Apr-2012, 16:11
Rick's #11 reason may seem a little trivial but I dropped a lens once due to sliding the switch on an SC the wrong way. Fortunately, I caught it before it hit the floor.

Drew Wiley
1-Apr-2012, 17:48
The Sinar system is remarkably versatile, and nearly everything is interchangable. I can switch components from a Norma to F2 to P2, etc.,
and so many of these cameras have been made over the years that, with
a bit of patience, you can get most components quite reasonably. The F2 is a joy to use. You can switch from an extreme wide angle to a very long
lens in just moments, and can balance the point of gravity on the rail
anywhere. Just pay attention to wear and tear if you are buying used.
Nearly everything is capable of being fixed, but why should you have to?

stradibarrius
2-Apr-2012, 08:40
Great information! Thanks for the help. I am on the look out for a good F2!

BrianShaw
2-Apr-2012, 09:05
Rick's #11 reason may seem a little trivial but I dropped a lens once due to sliding the switch on an SC the wrong way. Fortunately, I caught it before it hit the floor.

Me too, except it was the back and the GG broke (only on the second time dropping it... I think it hit the rail).

Frank Petronio
2-Apr-2012, 09:11
If you can afford to invest in a couple of cameras at the same time, you can do what I did a few years ago and buy several various Sinar outfits, then assemble your perfect camera from the choicest parts and sell the rest piecemeal. Like auto parts, you can sell the components for much more than their proportionate cost in a whole camera, so I essentially got the camera for free other than for the effort of eBaying a bunch of leftover pieces.

It also allowed me to choose the best parts of different vintages, like the later rail clamp, the older back with the notch for the Graphic folding hood, the most flexible bellows, smoothest standards, etc.

If you get real lucky you'll find someone selling an outfit with the superb Pan Tilt Head.

stradibarrius
7-Apr-2012, 06:36
Is there another camera that is equal to the F2 in regards to user controls, weight, packability, cost etc.????

Frank Petronio
7-Apr-2012, 08:03
There is nothing wrong with the Sinar F1 except for the weak plastic latch on the front standard - easily patched with a piece of duct tape should it fail.

Sinar Normas are about the same price.