PDA

View Full Version : print trimmer recommendations?

stradibarrius
31-Mar-2012, 16:00
I have a guillotine type cutter/trimmer but when I use it to trim prints the edges are usually a bit ragged.
I need a recommendation of a good print trimmer.

vinny
31-Mar-2012, 16:08
rotatrim.
I spent a couple hundred bucks on a Dahle and it's okay (smooth cuts) but the fence it's square and I don't think it's adjustable. Get one bigger than you'll think you need. Trust me.

Gem Singer
31-Mar-2012, 16:09
Rotatrim.

Get a size larger than your present needs.

Not inexpensive, but worth the price.

Gem Singer
31-Mar-2012, 16:11
Seems like Vinny and I had the same idea (based on experience).

However, he types faster than me.

John Kasaian
31-Mar-2012, 16:17
I have both a Dahle 38" and a Rotatrim 22". Either manufacturer build a more than adequate trimmer for my needs.

Mark Woods
31-Mar-2012, 16:35
I use a straight edge and a utility razor.

Ian David
31-Mar-2012, 17:17
Yeah, get a Rotatrim Professional.

David Brunell
31-Mar-2012, 18:13
I use a straight blade with my matte cutter.

D. Bryant
31-Mar-2012, 18:25
I use a straight edge and a utility razor.

Really bad form!

D. Bryant
31-Mar-2012, 18:26
I have a guillotine type cutter/trimmer but when I use it to trim prints the edges are usually a bit ragged.
I need a recommendation of a good print trimmer.

You will never regret buying a Rotatrim. Ever!

tgtaylor
31-Mar-2012, 19:06
I have the 24" Rotatrim (M24) and highly recommend it. A few years ago I picked-up a used Premier Guillotine cutter for $5 and will also recommend it. The Premier will cut up to 11x14 clean and accurately. I use it for trimming small prints/paper.

Thomas

Roger Thoms
31-Mar-2012, 19:51
I am quite happy with my Rotatrim, I use it for so much more than trimming photos. I can take a sliver off a piece of paper, something that I could never do with a straight edge and razor. It is also very easy to cut things square which is important since I mount my photos with a reveal between the photo and the window mat.

Roger

Doremus Scudder
1-Apr-2012, 02:53
Buy the best and cry once; Rotatrim! Size it for the absolute largest print you'll ever make. I have a cheaper trimmer and it was just a waste of time and money; never use it anymore.

Best,

Doremus

atlcruiser
1-Apr-2012, 05:27
I choose to march to my own drummer. I tried a xacto trimmer then another name brand I cant remember from B+H. Since both of those suck I bought a rototrim. I could have bought 1.75 rototrims for the cost of the one rototrim I actually own when you factor in the junk I bought at first.

Get a T square and make sure the rototrim is square. It can be adjusted and mine was out when it arrived due to shipping.

Quite often good deals on e bay

cdholden
1-Apr-2012, 08:35
+1
Another Rotatrim fan here.
I've got a monorail design, which is different than the dual bar models I usually see. Either way, the cutting design is still the same and it's great. My only complaint is that it only cuts in one direction. Not a big deal. It works well in that one direction.
I got mine used, but it's missing the sliding straight edge at the top. I just tape down pieces of mat board when I need to make repeated cuts or working in the dark. I've been using it a lot these past few weeks on cutting down film and paper, with no troubles in use and no end in sight.

Greg Lockrey
4-Apr-2012, 04:22
I use and old Premier guillotine type cutter that I had for the past 35 years. The trick to keeping the blade sharp is to have the tension on the blade adjusted correctly. There is a nut on the left of the blade that puts tension on a spring. Not to not recommend the Rototrim, but before you spend the bucks.....

neil poulsen
4-Apr-2012, 09:33
I got lucky and found an old style (yellow) Rototrim for $150. It's been an excellent trimmer.

Drew Wiley
4-Apr-2012, 09:43
I sure wouldn't want to use a guillotine trimmer in the dark. Severed fingers don't make
very good test strips in the average developer.

CP Goerz
4-Apr-2012, 19:14
Rotatrim!

From the thinnest of dry mount tissue, film, paper, two ply/four ply/eight ply matt boards nothing beats the clean cuts. I have had two for about 20 years each and they are still sharp and smooth.

Scott Walker
5-Apr-2012, 08:42
Another vote for RotaTrim