PDA

View Full Version : Artar vs Nikkor

AnselAdamsX
30-Mar-2012, 18:20
When would you choose a Schneider Artar 360mm over a Nikkor W 360mm on a 5x7 camera? I'm thinking the Nikkor is infinity corrected and the Artar is corrected for 1:1 so the Artar should be sharper at 5-10 ft focus.

domaz
30-Mar-2012, 20:41
Also probably the size could be a factor? The Artar is probably an f/9 and the Nikkor a f/5.6? I'm just guessing here but that is quite possibly the most important factor unless you plan to do purely studio and 10 feet from the car stuff.

Vaughn
30-Mar-2012, 20:43
If the Artar is in a factory shutter, than it is most likely corrected for field work.

I photograph in the redwoods and appreciate a fast lens in the low light...I like my Fuji W 300/5.6.

Ken Lee
31-Mar-2012, 05:46
I doubt you'll notice much of a difference at 10 feet away, unless you do some scientific tests, holding the film flat with a vacuum, etc. The depth of field with a 360mm lens at 10 feet is so shallow that whatever is in focus will pop anyhow.

That being said, the real advantage of the W is wide coverage which will allow generous view camera movements.

John Kasaian
1-Apr-2012, 19:49
APO Artar, or Red Dot Artar?
APO Artars are normally uncoated. Red Dots are nearly always single coated. I believe the Nikkors are multi-coated.
For an APO Artar you'll likely want a shade of some sort (I use a hat) to protect from flare.
I have a 14" APO Artar on my 5x7 and she's a peach, I like her swell! :D

AnselAdamsX
2-Apr-2012, 07:57
This is what I think I saw:
http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/apo-artar/apo_artar.pdf
They don't mention any coatings in the brochure but they show them in a shutter and say they are corrected for 1:1.

John Kasaian
2-Apr-2012, 08:42
This is what I think I saw:
http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/apo-artar/apo_artar.pdf
They don't mention any coatings in the brochure but they show them in a shutter and say they are corrected for 1:1.

WOW! Schneider still makes APO Artars? IIRC Nikon discontinued producing new LF lenses. If you can afford to buy a new lens, those Schneiders look mighty tempting. I wonder if the still produce G Clarons?

E. von Hoegh
2-Apr-2012, 08:50
That brochure is from the early to mid 1980s.