PDA

View Full Version : Quick question from someone very green to LF!

teleugeot
29-Mar-2012, 09:06

Observe this image. What is the function of the little hangy-downy things on either side of the lens?

What is this called? It seems to only show up on older shutters...

Thanks y'all!

Isaac

Louis Pacilla
29-Mar-2012, 09:46
They are called the release pump and the retarding pump.

one releases the shutter with air pressure from air bulb.

The other pump retards the the shutter blades from closing for a given time.

teleugeot
29-Mar-2012, 10:07
They are called the release pump and the retarding pump.

one releases the shutter with air pressure from air bulb.

The other pump retards the the shutter blades from closing for a given time.

Ah! Thank you. Are shutters like these generally still in working condition?

E. von Hoegh
29-Mar-2012, 13:25
Ah! Thank you. Are shutters like these generally still in working condition?

If they have been taken care of and given some maintenance, they are generally in good working condition. If they have not been taken care of, they are generally not in good condition. They are no different from any other type of shutter in this regard.

They can be very good shutters.

Jon Shiu
29-Mar-2012, 20:29
I believe these shutters were only made for a short period of time 1890's - early 1900's and in my experience aren't very accurate as compared to slightly later shutters such as Regno, Optimo, Betax etc. They can also get their pistons jammed up more readily over time (well, 100 years is a long time). But they do look nice.

Jon

E. von Hoegh
30-Mar-2012, 07:22
I believe these shutters were only made for a short period of time 1890's - early 1900's and in my experience aren't very accurate as compared to slightly later shutters such as Regno, Optimo, Betax etc. They can also get their pistons jammed up more readily over time (well, 100 years is a long time). But they do look nice.

Jon

Some are crap. But the better ones, if not worn out - and if the botchers haven't gone after them with lighter fluid, are accurate and reliable. One of the Bausch & Lomb versions had accurate speeds up to 3 seconds. The air pistons need to be kept clean and dry. The last shutter of this type was the Compound, made into the late 60s or early 70s