PDA

View Full Version : Well, my Ilex shutter broke

Vascilli
27-Mar-2012, 23:59
Bought a new lens on Sunday. A fancy Ilex-Calumet 215mm convertible that according to the seller covers 8x10, and according to my research should at anything just short of infinity. The shutter fired fine upon testing (Ilex No. 3 Acme Synchro) but when I brought it home it was a no-go. After removing the front group I saw a hook thingy sticking out of the shutter near the preview button and thought nothing of it. But later I realized it probably shouldn't have been there, as I've deduced that the problem is simply that the cocking lever/button isn't being pushed up. If I pull up on it myself I can fire the shutter and open it for previewing fine. Was that hook thingy the culprit, and how do I go about making everything all fine and dandy?

ic-racer
28-Mar-2012, 07:04
how do I go about making everything all fine and dandy?
If you have never repaired a shutter then I'd track down the seller.

BrianShaw
28-Mar-2012, 07:10
When hook thingies and cocking levers don't return it could be a sign that it needs an overhaul: cleaning and lubrication per factory spec.

E. von Hoegh
28-Mar-2012, 07:13
Does it smell like lighter fluid? Quite a lot of dysfunctional shutters do...

c.d.ewen
28-Mar-2012, 11:51
The "hook thingy" is the end of a spring that has come off its anchor point. Not a difficult repair. If you're not adventuresome, Marshman's your best bet.

Charley

Vascilli
28-Mar-2012, 12:53
The "hook thingy" is the end of a spring that has come off its anchor point. Not a difficult repair. If you're not adventuresome, Marshman's your best bet.

Charley

I suspected so. Are there schematics or teardown manuals online somewhere?

Lynn Jones
28-Mar-2012, 13:21
The original f 4.8 S Caltar was indeed truly single convertible and covered 71 degrees or an image circle of 305mm, by my calculations it won't cover 8x10 at infinity at f22, however it certainly would in close focusing (I was one of the lens's parents).

Lynn