PDA

View Full Version : Brand new 11x14 Deardorff for 1307$ Buy It Now ? No problem for discounter_shop

sanchi heuser
24-Mar-2012, 10:54
Story:
was watching on ebay for silvestri items
when I realized that two sellers are offering the same Silvestri SLV camera
kit with exactly the same headline and photo!

One is the seller rovertiger with offer 200732214657.
This offer appeared several days ago.

The other seller is discounter_shop with offer 160770481764.
His offer was visible only for a short time.

Very strange I thought, the item's photo wasn't an official product
photo from Silvestri......

Finally having a look at the ebay store of discounter_shop
I found more strange things, eg. this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deardorff-11-X-14-View-Camera-Outfit-/150784975486?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231b7c227e#ht_500wt_927

Or are you quit with film and want a digital back?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leaf-Aptus-II-12-R-80-Megapixels-Digital-Back-/150784975867?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231b7c23fb#ht_500wt_927

MIke Sherck
24-Mar-2012, 10:59
He says that he has five of them. Brand new! If the picture is of one of these 'brand new' cameras, though, it's had a tough journey being born. Looks like it took about 30 years, and deserts, mountains, prairies and hot city streets may have been involved. ;)

Oh, and that old lens in an Ilex shutter: is that new, too?

Three bidders: having fun with the crook or do they want to believe?

Mike

JosephBurke
24-Mar-2012, 11:18
Nice! ..and a Hasselblad CFV-39 back at only $18.27 current bid. ...and a CFV-16 kit with Hassy camera and lens...$79.55-getting out of my price range though.

sanchi heuser
25-Mar-2012, 04:34
Now all that nice items disappeared over night.
"The seller currently has no items for sale"

Time to study his feedback:
Oh, nearly all of his buyers are sailing privately....
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=discounter_shop&iid=-1&de=off&interval=0&items=200

I ask me, what is in the end the trick?
Do such sellers want to bait people into their shop with too attractive items like a
Deardorff 11x14 for $1307 Buy it Now Price (which wasn't obviously so new
as Mike remarked) ?

Only a complete nut would sell all that high price items like digital backs, high end Sony video cameras or Leica M9's - of course all of them brand new :rolleyes: - for $1307 (yes every item the same price)
stating there are 5 items of every product available.

If it walks like a duck.....

Lachlan 717
25-Mar-2012, 13:52
Wake up and smell the coffee - this is a scam.

This type of thing happens regularly. Note the conditions: must contact the seller rather than bid. Note that the details are not typed using eBay's interface, rather, they're an inserted jpeg.

This is not new. It has been going on for years. Usually something like a PS lens or some other desirable and rare piece of equipment...

sanchi heuser
25-Mar-2012, 14:35
Wake up and smell the coffee - this is a scam.

This type of thing happens regularly. Note the conditions: must contact the seller rather than bid. Note that the details are not typed using eBay's interface, rather, they're an inserted jpeg.

This is not new. It has been going on for years. Usually something like a PS lens or some other desirable and rare piece of equipment...

OK, and what happens if someone is going into the trap?
All money away in the end?

Kevin Crisp
25-Mar-2012, 14:41
Of course, what else?

sanchi heuser
25-Mar-2012, 14:47
Nice.
And what's the trick with nearly every transaction is private?

Kevin Crisp
25-Mar-2012, 15:04
That way you can't check and see if the people who give him thumbs up are real people with a history, or just shills.

sanchi heuser
25-Mar-2012, 15:43
That way you can't check and see if the people who give him thumbs up are real people with a history, or just shills.

I had a short look at some buyers feedback:
most transactions with other sellers are not private.

Lachlan 717
25-Mar-2012, 22:54
Sanchi,

THERE IS NO ITEM.

It is a scam.

The Seller's account is hijacked. His/her identity is used to advertise a gmail/yahoo/hotmail email account that you need to contact. The owner of this email account will tell you to transfer money in some highly difficult to track fashion.

THERE IS NO ITEM.

You will lose your money, the seller will not be accountable as their account has been hacked.

THERE IS NO ITEM.

There is no access to Seller history as the account is hacked.

THERE IS NO ITEM.

Just look for: Rare/desirable item. Unbelievably good price. Short sale time (24 hour). Inserted jpeg image rather than eBay fonts in the information section. Copy of photos from other sales. "Contact me first at the following email address" requirement.

Oh, and by the way, THERE IS NO ITEM.

MIke Sherck
26-Mar-2012, 09:27
Sanchi,

THERE IS NO ITEM.

It is a scam.

The Seller's account is hijacked. His/her identity is used to advertise a gmail/yahoo/hotmail email account that you need to contact. The owner of this email account will tell you to transfer money in some highly difficult to track fashion.

THERE IS NO ITEM.

You will lose your money, the seller will not be accountable as their account has been hacked.

THERE IS NO ITEM.

THERE IS NO ITEM.

Just look for: Rare/desirable item. Unbelievably good price. Short sale time (24 hour). Inserted jpeg image rather than eBay fonts in the information section. Copy of photos from other sales. "Contact me first at the following email address" requirement.

But... but... but... he had FIVE of them!!! ;)

Seriously, I can't understand how anyone could fall for such a poorly constructed scam. Is critical thinking a lost art?

Mike

sanchi heuser
26-Mar-2012, 21:55
OK.
so discounter_shop is innocent?
As well as the photo store in UK which website was hijacked some months ago
with very low DSLR offers (over the weekend)?

Sanchi,

THERE IS NO ITEM.

It is a scam.

THERE IS NO ITEM.

THERE IS NO ITEM.

THERE IS NO ITEM.

E. von Hoegh
27-Mar-2012, 07:31
Is critical thinking a lost art?

Mike

Critical thinking, like all thinking, is not an art but a skill. It doesn't seem to be taught much anymore, in fact the word "critical" has a negative connotation. If you want proof of this, just watch some TV commercials. They're there because they work (commercials), but if critical thinking was common, there would be no point in making the commercials as they wouldn't sell anything except to retarded folk.

Louis Pacilla
28-Mar-2012, 09:18
To me it's this simple. If it seems to good to be true...:rolleyes:

Lachlan 717
28-Mar-2012, 15:13
Seriously, I can't understand how anyone could fall for such a poorly constructed scam. Is critical thinking a lost art?

Mike

The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common...

Drew Bedo
5-Apr-2012, 10:13
It all sounds about as goofy as one of those Prince-of-Nigeria e-mails.