PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Wizard Channel Selection

Frank Petronio
23-Mar-2012, 20:16
I'm new to Pocket Wizards but picked up a couple of the IIs based on widespread reputation. But tonight I was shooting and it wasn't syncing reliably. Installed fresh batteries, tighten the PC socket, orientated the antennas and yet I still missed several shots.

Is it possible that some channels (1 to 4) are better than others in different environments? How would you go about trouble shooting these?

Peter De Smidt
23-Mar-2012, 20:28
It's usually the connectors....

How far apart were the units? Did they have line-of-sight?

I haven't noticed any difference among the channels.

Frank Petronio
23-Mar-2012, 20:42
Only about 5 feet and visible to each other. Hmm time to replace the "new" cables.

My old Quantum Radio Slaves worked more reliably but now I'll have to futz around.

Leigh
23-Mar-2012, 21:35
It's unlikely that you would experience channel-specific interference, but not impossible.

The PWIIs have four "channels", but they all share a single frequency, 344.04 MHz.
The "channel" selection just changes the 16-bit code that's transmitted (and received).
This is true of the first 16 channels used by the various PW products.

PW products with more than 16 channels available use additional frequencies.

Here's the discussion on the PW site: http://wiki.pocketwizard.com/index.php?title=Channels

- Leigh

urs0polar
23-Mar-2012, 21:43
Do the little red LEDs on the slaves light up when you press the test button on the master PW on your camera? If they do, it's probably the connectors...

Daniel Stone
24-Mar-2012, 00:05
I've constantly wondered WHY PW's continue to be built out of plastic, I know its cheaper to produce, but the II's used to sell for $180+/each, and you NEED TWO of them to at least fire something... Someone I assist has gone through over 30 PW's in the past 10yrs, and he doesn't batter his equipment. It gets used, but these things are extremely fragile little b@$+ards for the price MAC group charges...

Not to poo on your thread Frank, I just hate spending money on worthless junk, it works when it doesn't matter, but when it should work, it decides to not roll outa bed...

-Dan

Peter De Smidt
24-Mar-2012, 05:44
Hm. I've not had a PW crap out on me. I have had problems with connectors, mainly the pc connection to Canon flashes.

Frank Petronio
24-Mar-2012, 06:29
I'm also trying to use the Paul Bluff Mini Vagbound with these and they seem flakier with it, as though having the large battery nearby affects them (probably does). I might just go back to a hard wire, I am only shooting simple portraits.

Peter De Smidt
24-Mar-2012, 07:03
I don't think that's it. We use pocket wizards with battery kits without issue. What other equipment are you using?

false_Aesthetic
24-Mar-2012, 11:48
Hey,

I had something similar happen once. Shooting with a hasselblad + PWs. Shooting from a low angle when my knee touched the ground/grass the strobes wouldn't fire. We switched to a straight cord and the same thing happened. It's only happened once.

Kirk Gittings
24-Mar-2012, 11:49
Hm. I've not had a PW crap out on me. I have had problems with connectors, mainly the pc connection to Canon flashes.

Amen brother. Light a candle.

Frank Petronio
24-Mar-2012, 11:52
I just tested everything, every possible way and can't make them fail.

Maybe it was the nuclear reactor or the UFO outside?

Anyway Murphy's Law in action. I will pack a cord and spares.

Leigh
24-Mar-2012, 12:16
I have had problems with connectors, mainly the pc connection to Canon flashes.
There's a known problem with certain Canon flashes. They generate electrical interference that makes the PWs unreliable.

Here's one page of several on the PW website http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/technology/range/

- Leigh