PDA

View Full Version : Older Mole 407 bulb/globe ?

John Conway
23-Mar-2012, 19:03
My two 407s arrived. Everything appears to be fine but the bulbs are missing. Since the lights are old they have the early twist type bulbs. I have read that this type of bulb can be difficult to remove . Is there a trick to make them easier to remove? Also, while I'm at it, what is the correct bulb (500 watt) for my 407?

vinny
23-Mar-2012, 20:00
call studio depot, they'll put you in touch with the right people. As far as removal, just push and turn. You can get replacement sockets (probably newer pin style too) for most mole lamps dirt cheap. I've never only used 1kw globes in 407's.

Mark Woods
23-Mar-2012, 20:16
Here's a link to the website: http://www.mole.com/lighting/tung_p-f/clas_fres/407/407.html

I think you'll find it's a 1k unit.

John Conway
23-Mar-2012, 21:01
call studio depot, they'll put you in touch with the right people. As far as removal, just push and turn. You can get replacement sockets (probably newer pin style too) for most mole lamps dirt cheap. I've never only used 1kw globes in 407's.

They are 1k units but I believe they will take 500 watt bulbs as well. The info about difficult bulb removal referred to when the bulbs crapped out after they have been in there for a while.I think it will be more practical to upgrade to the newer sockets. I am setting up a four light set,my 2k and 1k lights are ready to go, with the 407s sporting 500 watt bulbs to complete the set.

Mark Woods
24-Mar-2012, 14:07
You should be able to take them apart fairly easily. Usually, take out the rod the lamp slides on, then take out the geared rod. Then the lamp unit will come out. I wouldn't change the lamp socket since it's designed for a particular filament placement and won't focus correctly if the filament doesn't line up with the design.