PDA

View Full Version : So where's that "hand slapping the forehead" emoticon for ebay listings?

Daniel Stone
22-Mar-2012, 23:55
Gotta love ebay, some people have no idea what they have...Much less how to research pricing...One would think that FILM(in this case a 10sht box of expired Provia 4x5) would need to be protected... Nope...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUJI-PROVIA-100F-4x5-SLIDE-FILM-10-SHEETS-7-2010-/110845894442?pt=US_Camera_Film&hash=item19ceee1f2a

-Dan

jcoldslabs
23-Mar-2012, 00:24
I tend to watch for old unexposed glass plates on the 'bay to experiment with. Quite often clueless sellers will open the box and fan out "all twelve plates" to show that they are all present and accounted for. Uhhhh.....

Jonathan

Sevo
23-Mar-2012, 01:11
Looks like the seller is showing that the film is in its original sealed inner sleeve, which would be the right thing to do, at least if the seal on the box has already been broken. Experienced buyers will pay little no nothing for film with both seals broken - the risk of prior exposure or storage damage aside there is a high risk that sellers have "inspected each sheet". I've even seen sellers post a photograph with the sheets carefully arranged in fan shape...

unixrevolution
23-Mar-2012, 06:55
Looks like the seller is showing that the film is in its original sealed inner sleeve, which would be the right thing to do, at least if the seal on the box has already been broken. Experienced buyers will pay little no nothing for film with both seals broken - the risk of prior exposure or storage damage aside there is a high risk that sellers have "inspected each sheet". I've even seen sellers post a photograph with the sheets carefully arranged in fan shape...

I did experiment with the foil sleve inside the PRovia pack and found that it was light-tight on its own. As long as it's sealed, should nothing to worry about.

Michael Cienfuegos
23-Mar-2012, 08:50
I figure if they are stupid to open a sealed box which says on the label "Open only in total darkness" that they are stupid enough to check what is inside the sealed envelope. I won't touch it. :rolleyes:

BrianShaw
23-Mar-2012, 08:59
I have ceased to be amazed at either people's stupidity, greed, or self-centeredness anymore. there is a lot of all three seen too often. "Who cares" has become the attitude I try to maintain. That said... I fail often.

BrianShaw
23-Mar-2012, 09:00
In this situation... at least the foil pouch appears to be facdtory sealed.

Jehu
23-Mar-2012, 09:42
I still don't think anything beats the post on APUG about trying to find the ICC printer profile for Fuji Crystal Archive paper. The guy was having trouble figuring out why the paper wasn't working in his ink-jet printer.

unixrevolution
23-Mar-2012, 09:45
I figure if they are stupid to open a sealed box which says on the label "Open only in total darkness" that they are stupid enough to check what is inside the sealed envelope. I won't touch it. :rolleyes:

Granted, but if the price was really good you could at least be certain it's not exposed if the pouch is sealed.

Mostly certain anyway.

I still don't think anything beats the post on APUG about trying to find the ICC printer profile for Fuji Crystal Archive paper. The guy was having trouble figuring out why the paper wasn't working in his ink-jet printer.

We had the opposite problem in one of the classes here. The Photography teacher told me two students were having trouble getting their negatives to print. Turns out they bought inkjet paper for a darkroom class!

Jehu
23-Mar-2012, 10:02
We had the opposite problem in one of the classes here. The Photography teacher told me two students were having trouble getting their negatives to print. Turns out they bought inkjet paper for a darkroom class!

I guess this kind of thing is really to be expected sooner or later. A friend of mine asked a young employee at a department store where the film was. The poor kid had no idea what film was. When they finally found it, he was amazed at this new thing called "camera film".

E. von Hoegh
23-Mar-2012, 10:08
I guess this kind of thing is really to be expected sooner or later. A friend of mine asked a young employee at a department store where the film was. The poor kid had no idea what film was. When they finally found it, he was amazed at this new thing called "camera film".

You really want to have some fun? Years ago, Radio Shack sold Lifetime Guarantee vacuum tubes. Try bringing one in and getting it replaced.

kansasjhawk
23-Mar-2012, 10:36
Also $32 for 10 sheets? That's no deal. You can get a new box from B&H for $43 with 20 sheets.

unixrevolution
23-Mar-2012, 12:27
Also $32 for 10 sheets? That's no deal. You can get a new box from B&H for $43 with 20 sheets.

That didn't expire 2 years ago.

Pawlowski6132
23-Mar-2012, 12:46
I posted to a similar link to an Ebay ad selling AZO. Guy had 'em fanned out to verify sheet count.

Sevo
24-Mar-2012, 01:46

You sure have cheap film. Cheap European vendors sell the Provia 20 sheet box for around $75-90...

Ari
24-Mar-2012, 02:11
You sure have cheap film. Cheap European vendors sell the Provia 20 sheet box for around $75-90...

And that's why I bring lots of film with me when going overseas.
But hey, you have access to cheap, used German cars.

Pawlowski6132
24-Mar-2012, 03:02
……………………………………..________
………………………………,.-’”……………….“~.,
………………………..,.-”……………………………..”-.,
…………………….,/………………………………………..”:,
…………………,?………………………………………………\,
………………./…………………………………………………..,}
……………../………………………………………………,:`^`..}
……………/……………………………………………,:”………/
…………..?…..__…………………………………..:`………../
…………./__.(…..”~-,_…………………………,:`………./
………../(_….”~,_……..”~,_………………..,:`…….._/
……….{.._$;_……”=,_…….”-,_…….,.-~-,},.~”;/….}
………..((…..*~_…….”=-._……”;,,./`…./”…………../
…,,,___.\`~,……”~.,………………..`…..}…………../
…………(….`=-,,…….`……………………(……;_,,-”
…………/.`~,……`-………………………….\……/\
………….\`~.*-,……………………………….|,./…..\,__
,,_……….}.>-._\……………………………..|…………..`=~-,
…..`=~-,_\_……`\,……………………………\
……………….`=~-,,.\,………………………….\
…………………………..`:,,………………………`\…………..__
……………………………….`=-,……………….,%`>–==“
…………………………………._\……….._,-%…….`\
……………………………..,<`.._|_,-&“…………….`

Wow. How do you do that?

cdholden
24-Mar-2012, 04:56
Wow. How do you do that?
Check out http://chris.com/ascii/ or do a search for ascii art.

Hey Greg,
That's some fearsome ASCII fu. You should start a BBS. :)

Chris