PDA

View Full Version : Storage of film and prints

jantman
27-Dec-2003, 07:20
I'm rethinking my film and print storage system. Up until now, I use 8x10 PrintFile sheets for film, 120 sheets for rollfilm, and just dry mount my prints. Well, firstly, I'm doing some prints that I want to save but not mount, and some of them in the near future as large as 20x24. Does anybody out there use the plastic sleeves? I'd like to buy from B&H (or Freestyle) if possible, as I have other stuff to get there. I like the idea of the museum box / interleaving paper, except for the fact that the plastic allows the prints to be handled without fear of leaving fingerprints.

Also, I'm rethinking film. For roll film, I might just go with some other form of sleeves, I'd rather not have to get a small box and envelopes and cut the interleaving paper. But for sheet film, what are the opinions? How do other people do it? Plastic sleeves, PrintFiles, or boxes & paper?

Thanks!

Louie Powell
27-Dec-2003, 07:27
Negatives: roll film (35mm and 6x6) is stored in polyethelene PrintFile sheets (which is also convenient for making proof sheets). Protects the film and is archival. 4x5 is stored in individual sleeves, either polyethelene or acetate. In all cases, the negatives are then filed in archival boxes from Light Impressions.

Prints: I usually dry mount my "good" prints (and yes, that's a very subjective term, and one that has a limited life expectancy!), and then store them in polyethelene bags (8x10, 11x16 or 16x20). I keep the bagged prints in old paper boxes.

Louie

Frank Petronio
27-Dec-2003, 08:23
Film goes into Printfile pages, which go into Light Impressions archival three ring binders. 35mm slides - which I shoot much less often these days - go into Light Impressions pages and LI 3-rings. I store these "upstairs" in a closet - about 48 inches worth. I never dry mount prints, but matted prints are stored in Light Impressions cases and boxes (I live in Rochester, so I can buy "seconds" at a discount) and loose prints go into tan LI archival boxes. When I had a darkroom I print(ed) with a large border, so handling is less of an issue, and you can always wear gloves. I have tried sleeving prints but that is tedious and I think having so air flow is good idea. My "sin" is that I have to keep the silver prints in the basement (they take up too much room), but I do run a dehumidifier during the warmer months, and I haven't noticied any damage. Iris and Epson inkjet prints I treat like color prints and use LI boxes too - I tossed the older faded (700, 1100 series) when they got ugly. I can make nice prints on my newer Epson but I print far less often - only when I need a print really - so storage is less of an issue with digital output.