PDA

View Full Version : Super Panchro-Press type b developer

dave424219
19-Mar-2012, 16:58
Hey everyone,

Was wondering if anyone can recommend a developer for this great old film.

i am used to xtol, rodinal, and technidol

so if anyone has experience using any of those and can pass on their development times that would be great!

Of if you can recommend a different developer that would be great as well.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

David

Lynn Jones
20-Mar-2012, 09:41
David, when I used this film in 4x5 in the 1950's, I used DK 50. However D76 or HC110B (assuming you can find the right developing times) should work perfectly well, but at these films ages it is probably aged fogged anyway.

By the way, David, in b/w films type A or type B had to do with the greater or lesser red sensitivity. SPP b simply meant the for flash bulbs you would get a higher guide number or tungsten speed than with straight daylight or electronic flash than with type A. At these times there wasn't much electronic flash, only tungsten 3200K or clear flash 3800K.

In the 50's a 100ASA type a film (Weston 80) would have a Tungsten speed of 64 (Weston 50) while with a type b the T value would be 80ASA (Weston 64).

Lynn

Mark Sampson
20-Mar-2012, 11:34
I have no direct experience with SPP-B; it was discontinued while I was an LF beginner in the '70s. XTOL is 20 years newer than that, Kodak never gave processing instructions for other maker's developers like Rodinal, and Technidol is for low contrast on document films. HC-110 has a reputation for taming fog buildup on old film, so that might be your first choice. But as you know, it's going to be a gamble whatever you try.

al olson
20-Mar-2012, 15:50
It's been a long time since I have heard of this film, let alone used it. I still have an old box (empty, of course) with a price tag of $4.75 for 25 sheets.

From the Kodak Data Book, 7th edition, on Kodak Films there is this description:
A high-speed panchromatic, antihalation film of moderately fine grain. Its high quality and great versatility make it equally suitable for portraiture, commercial, illustrative, and press photography. This film produces excellent negatives with all types of indoor and outdoor illumination.

Exposure Index: Daylight--125 Tungsten--100

Processing (68F) --- Continuous Agitation (tray) --- Intermittent Agitation (tank)
For Normal Use:
DK-60a --------------- 3 1/2 minutes -------------------- 4 1/4 minutes
DK-50 ---------------- 4 -------------------------------- 5
Less Contrast:
DK-50 ---------------- 3 1/2 (full strength) --------------- 7 (diluted 1:1)
Rapid Processing:
Dektol (diluted 1:1) ---- 2 1/2

You will need to make comparable adjustments for whatever developer you choose. Also a little dash of benzotriazole may help reduce any fog. Hope this is helpful.

dave424219
20-Mar-2012, 16:58
Thanks everyone!