PDA

View Full Version : Better GG than Linhof''s original?

Adrian Pybus
18-Mar-2012, 18:20
Upgraded both my Technika 5 and my Master Technika's GG from the old version.
There was a difference but ... it is still difficult to see the whole picture.
I tried a fresnel but I just find it irritates my eye even when I'm not using a loupe.

Is there another brand that is better?

Grateful for a yes answer!;)

Adrian

Frank Petronio
18-Mar-2012, 18:38
The longer I shoot with large format cameras, the more I have come back to appreciating a simple ground glass without the fresnel. The secret is to make it darker with your dark cloth and to allow time for your eyes to adjust. In other words, the original GG is probably as good as it gets, but you are welcome to experiment!

Ari
18-Mar-2012, 18:43
Frank is right, but I like to stack the odds in my favour, so I look for a bright, contrasty screen.
My favourite is the Wista ground glass/fresnel; it hardly needs a dark cloth in many situations.

Mike McMullen
18-Mar-2012, 19:10
Upgraded both my Technika 5 and my Master Technika's GG from the old version.
There was a difference but ... it is still difficult to see the whole picture.
I tried a fresnel but I just find it irritates my eye even when I'm not using a loupe.

Is there another brand that is better?

Grateful for a yes answer!;)

Adrian

Does Linhoff offer a bright(er) screen GG? Is that the Fresnel, or something else? Can anyone recommend it, or are there drawbacks? Thx.

TJV
18-Mar-2012, 22:41
Last year I replaced the original GG and fresnel of my Tecknika V with the modern versions. The difference in brightness of the GG was dramatic, I think mostly due to the fact the grain was finer. The fresnel didn't seem to be any brighter than the original but I appreciate it being scratch free! In comparison to the Horseman 45FA which I use at work the Linhof screen is much harder to focus. I think has something to do with the the Horseman's fresnel being between lens and GG, rather than on the outside like the Linhof. Perhaps you could experiment with different fresnel configurations – although this would mean adjustment of the plane of focus by shimming the GG placement.

Adrian Pybus
19-Mar-2012, 01:32
Thanks Frank,

I was just hoping there was a fantastic GG that blew all the others away. I should try staying longer under the hood but I don't feel comfortable staying too long under the hood ... :)

Adrian

The longer I shoot with large format cameras, the more I have come back to appreciating a simple ground glass without the fresnel. The secret is to make it darker with your dark cloth and to allow time for your eyes to adjust. In other words, the original GG is probably as good as it gets, but you are welcome to experiment!

MDR
19-Mar-2012, 02:00
Wear dark sunglasses and take them off under the dark cloth. You'll be amazed how bright your GG image will look. If you shoot B/W a dark glasses might even help you with previsualization. Old Hollywood DP used to sometimes wear extremely dark glasses for that purpose.

Dominik

Frank Petronio
19-Mar-2012, 04:29
Wear dark sunglasses and take them off under the dark cloth. You'll be amazed how bright your GG image will look. If you shoot B/W a dark glasses might even help you with previsualization. Old Hollywood DP used to sometimes wear extremely dark glasses for that purpose.

Dominik

Good idea! thanks

Bill_1856
19-Mar-2012, 06:20
Maxwell -- pricy but worth every cent.

Kevin Crisp
19-Mar-2012, 07:05
I think what you are looking for is Maxwell, but it is expensive.

Adrian Pybus
19-Mar-2012, 07:33
I second Frank's Good idea! And the thanks too!

A simple low-tech solution.

Adrian

Dominik

Frank Petronio
19-Mar-2012, 08:28
I've had very bright fresnels on various cameras, the Wista and Arca-Swiss ones are particularly bright. But it doesn't necessary make it easier to focus critically, there seems a little more uncertainty with a screen added. The plainer, duller ground glass image will be dimmer but easier to focus precisely.

Bob Salomon
19-Mar-2012, 08:57
"Upgraded both my Technika 5 and my Master Technika's GG from the old version."

The first V was made in April 1963. That is almost 50 years ago. The first Master was made in Sept. of 1972, almost 40 years ago.

So what did you upgrade to? The current Linhof gg? And did you also upgrade to the current Linhof Fresnel? Where did the fresnel go? Behind the gg or on top? Loupe focused on the grain side of the gg? Fresnel positioned with the grooves facing the lens?

Adrian Pybus
19-Mar-2012, 09:03
On the Master I only got the new GG. On the V I got both. The guy who did it was the Linhof repair guy in Sweden. I don't know which side the fresnel is on my V (I'm at work - not at home) is but I seem to recall it's behind, i.e. not between the GG and the lens and that is was fairly easy to remove.

Adrian

"Upgraded both my Technika 5 and my Master Technika's GG from the old version."

The first V was made in April 1963. That is almost 50 years ago. The first Master was made in Sept. of 1972, almost 40 years ago.

So what did you upgrade to? The current Linhof gg? And did you also upgrade to the current Linhof Fresnel? Where did the fresnel go? Behind the gg or on top? Loupe focused on the grain side of the gg? Fresnel positioned with the grooves facing the lens?

Brian Ellis
19-Mar-2012, 09:43
Maxwell. With BosScreen out of business there really is no other choice if you want the best combination of a bright screen, relatively little light fall-off even with a wide angle lenses, and ease of focus (minimal interference from Fresnel lines).

Bob Salomon
19-Mar-2012, 09:45
The current Linhof Fresnel is much brighter and has finer lines then the older ones.

J. Fada
19-Mar-2012, 17:07
I waxed the Satin Snow ground glass on my Speed Graphic and it made a world of difference even with the fresnel. I can usually focus without a loupe it is so bright. You might want to give that a try. The other suggestion I have is to step back a bit from the ground glass. I made a longer darkcloth to be able to do this. It works great. After doing those two things I find it a real piece of cake to compose an image.