PDA

View Full Version : Gandolfi Vintage - How to determine age and custom cases

Carole Gumprint
15-Mar-2012, 09:36
I have 2 vintage Gandolfi folding field cameras; 5x7 and 18x24 with several reducing backs. Is there a way to determine or estimate the age based on name plate or other manner? Also, does anyone have information regarding the custom cases for the outfits. Were they made by Gandolfi?

Thanks in advance.

Carole

karl french
15-Mar-2012, 10:54
Usually there is a two digit number stamped on the inside of the back, which I believe to be the year of manufacture.

Lovely cameras. I've had a couple. Wish I'd held onto them.

IanG
15-Mar-2012, 12:48
You might try asking Eddy Hill at Gandolfi (http://www.gandolficameras.com/), he no longer makes cameras but may have access to the archives etc to give you the info you need.

Ian

Carole Gumprint
16-Mar-2012, 07:31
Thanks Karl
The 5x7 indicates 1 13 and and the 18x24 indicates 1 64. 1964 would be believable, but not 1913. It's condition is too good. I will follow Ian's advice and ask Eddy Hill.

Emil Schildt
16-Mar-2012, 08:05
I have seven Gandolfi's - none have numbers anywhere....

your 18x24 - isn't it 10x8" ? (being english).

Pictures will help.

(Also because they look SO good!!...)

William Whitaker
16-Mar-2012, 08:08
...I will follow Ian's advice and ask Eddy Hill.

Carole, please let us know what you find out. I have a 5x7 I'm curious about.

Ole Tjugen
16-Mar-2012, 11:19
if 1913 were correct, it would be a Gandolfi Universal - a tailboard camera. The "Precision" came later.

BTW, my ca. 1924 Gandolfi Universal 5x4" looks like new, and came with an uncut lens board!

Carole Gumprint
16-Mar-2012, 12:46
I have sent a note to Eddie Hill and will post results. Meanwhile, what do you know about the custom cases for the Gandolfi outfits. I have one and see them from time to time in ads.
Also, does anyone else have Gandolfi film holders? What is the material that is inlaid to indicate the plate number (circular, white with black digits).

gandolfi: Mine is an 18x24 with 2 reducing backs, formerly a mantle piece. Looks as though it was opened and closed a few times and then put away until I found it in Germany. (photo attached)

Ole: My 5x7 is also in near mint condition, with one copal 1 and 1 uncut board. The burled wood is unusual; shades of brown and gold, not the typical red with long grain. Perhaps it was made in 1913 and was squirreled away in a proper location and climate until I came upon it. It is not a tailboard though. What is your source for historical information? I have little aside from the articles in View Camera Magazine and a few mentions on the web.

Steven Tribe
16-Mar-2012, 14:29
The white discs are usually called "bone" these days so they don't have problems with CITES and ivory.
It might be bone, or early plastic or.......! The British Empire (1913) had ample supplies from India and East Africa.

Emil Schildt
16-Mar-2012, 16:04
I have 2 vintage Gandolfi folding field cameras; 5x7 and 18x24 with several reducing backs. Is there a way to determine or estimate the age based on name plate or other manner? Also, does anyone have information regarding the custom cases for the outfits. Were they made by Gandolfi?

see this thread :
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?74966-Any-Gandolfi-users-out-there/page2&highlight=gandolfi

posts 17-18...

they apparently were made by Gandolfi.