PDA

View Full Version : Egads! Filter shock!

John Kasaian
14-Mar-2012, 22:24
I was thinking of getting a few more screw in filters for a 240 G Claron, so I went to Tiffens website and---gulp! They want $60 bucks for one common, ordinary filter! Camera store used to have baskets of Hoyas and Tiffens on their counters for not so much loot!
What happened?

Leigh
14-Mar-2012, 22:25
Check the price on 95mm B+W MRC filters!

You get what you pay for.

- Leigh

Marc B.
14-Mar-2012, 23:54
I have had better then average luck obtaining both new and used filters from the *Bay.
Various mix of Hoya, Heliopan, and B+W's. Usually, most of the filters I've acquired are
about the mid range quality or better from each manufacturer.

There is always the old saying, it doesn't make any sense to put a low quality filter on a high quality lens.
Patience is key...higher quality filters, in good condition, at reasonable prices do come around.

Maris Rusis
15-Mar-2012, 00:01
I see multicoated UV filters out of China via Ebay for less than $4.00 each in (say) the 46mm size. I've tested similar Chinese filters in the 67mm, 77mm, and 82mm sizes (couldn't believe the low prices) and I can't fault the glass, the coating, or the filters rims (aluminium not brass). The coating is definitely not MRC but the filters are cheap enough to throw away if they get too nasty.

vinny
15-Mar-2012, 02:52
I don't like tiffen filters. The rings are too thick, they're aluminum so the bind up and the paint comes off. I've also noticed they are harder to clean. B+w all the way.

You think those are pricey?
Try 6x6 motion picture filters. See the look on the cameraman's face when you drop one. Yeah, did that once.

Noah A
15-Mar-2012, 05:01
A new center filter can easily cost more than the used lens it fits on!

Quality filters are pricey...

E. von Hoegh
15-Mar-2012, 07:36
Quality filters have never been cheap.

But quality filters are the least expensive in the long run.....

Peter Gomena
15-Mar-2012, 09:02
Price a 3x3" gelatin filter these days for comparison.

Peter Gomena

Louis Pacilla
15-Mar-2012, 09:09
Price a 3x3" gelatin filter these days for comparison.

Peter Gomena

Holy Crap! $57.99 for a 3"x3 ND gelatin filter through B&H .
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/587886-REG/Kodak_1510890_3_x_3_Neutral.html

This would not be to bad if I didn't have a bad habit of scratching these things no matter how careful I am.

Bob Salomon
15-Mar-2012, 09:23
"Heliopan, and B+W's. Usually, most of the filters I've acquired are
about the mid range quality or better from each manufacturer. "

Heliopan uses the same glass for there filters. The only difference between Heliopan filters is the coatings. Regular coating or the SH-PMC multi-coating with the Nano coating layer on each side. They use the same rims for all filters, coated or SH-PMC coated.

There is no mid range from Heliopan. All are Schott glass, all are brass rims, they only make slim rims for non-rotating filters. You either buy SH-PMC or standard coating. That is the only difference and the only option.

tgtaylor
15-Mar-2012, 10:36
To simplify and economize I switched to 4x4 filters years back. The glass filters are expensive but as long as you keep them in their padded cases when not in use and don't drop them on concrete they will last a lifetime without scratches or having to replace. With the Cokin-Z holder one filter works with all my lens except the 360mm f6.8 Symmar-S (120mm!) and with all the step-up rings attached to the largest mounting ring - 82mm in my case - all on the the filter holder which I keep packed in its own case and all the filters packed in their case inside a Lee Filter Case, I never have to worry about the filters. All I do is select the filters that I will be using that day. If I will be shooting color and B&W for example, then there's no need to haul the E-6 filters around with me.

Good filters are expensive but if each one will work with all your lens...

Thomas

Harley Goldman
15-Mar-2012, 15:03
I am with Vinny. I don't like Tiffens. They bind up and they can even be difficult to get on. I usually get Heliopan or B+W MRC filters. You do get what you pay for (but you can save a few bucks on ebay).

Frank Petronio
15-Mar-2012, 16:28
I can see you take your filtration seriously enough to insult one of the most helpful participants on this forum. Wouldn't having a wee nip and a puff of herb be more, umm, Northwesternian of you?

I think people are buying a lot less filters these days thanks to digital and Photoshop, so the price goes up. There are industrial, government, military applications for some of those gels so they're going to soak the remaining buyers for as much as they can.

Leigh
15-Mar-2012, 16:32
Marc Batters...

You need to learn some manners.

Learn them somewhere else. You're not welcome here.

- Leigh

Two23
15-Mar-2012, 21:41
I've been active here for over one & half years, almost daily. Above is the first post I've ever hit the "Report This Post" button on. As for filters, I buy used on eBay when possible. Since most of my lenses are from 1847 to 1936, I have to hold them by hand, or tape them in front of the lens. No threads on an 1854 Grubb.

Kent in SD

John Kasaian
15-Mar-2012, 23:01
I mostly use 4x4 Lees or old Wrattens on my vintage lenses, but my 240 G Claron allows for screw ons and I already have a selection left over from Nikon SLR days. Tiffens and Hoyas come to mind because thats what was marketed heavily in my area (along with Vivitars.) I can see B+W and Heliopans going for some handsome coin, as well as special kinds of filters, but rather ordinary hobby-ist stuff going for such big bucks is beyond my comprehension.

anglophone1
16-Mar-2012, 00:44
I've been active here for over one & half years, almost daily. Above is the first post I've ever hit the "Report This Post" button on.

Kent in SD

+1 here

BrianShaw
16-Mar-2012, 06:29
Thanks you Ken Lee for not being 100% efficient as a moderator. I missed the "interchange" last night but caught it in the quotes. How entertaining... yet I'm completely vicariously embarassed. I'm glad that Bob has a thick hide.

But to keep on topic.. I just bought my first B+W filter after decades of using other brands. I bought it used and the price was good. It reeks of quality! I look forward to using it. I'm not sure it will improve my photography any more than a Hoya filter does (or doesn't) but...

Frank Petronio
16-Mar-2012, 07:07
I don't think the more expensive German filters are going to be that much of an image improvement but they hold up better and are more "cleanable" than the Asian and Tiffen ones for whatever reason. Tiffen makes some interesting but rarely used filters so don't discount them.