PDA

View Full Version : Fridge or freezer

megapickle1
14-Mar-2012, 12:14
Hallo all!
Another dumb question regarding the storage of film and polaroid (fujiroid) materials.
Recently I have acquired a bunch of 4x5 film and some Fujiroid and a pack of Polaplan. My girlfriend is not very amused about the bulk of film in the fridge and so I get my daily preaching. O.K. I have to buy some storage opportunity where I can showe my film in for a long time.

What´s you opinion regarding storage. Better in a fridge or in a freezer.

Thanks for your help in advance.

George

Sal Santamaura
14-Mar-2012, 12:37
Instant film (Fuji or Polaroid) -- refrigerator only. Freezing would burst the integral chemical pods.

Regular film -- http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?84366-More-Kodak-discontinuations&p=817242&viewfull=1#post817242

I should append to the link (which is in a thread specifically related to Kodak discontinuations) that Fuji 120 and sheet film, Kodak 120 film and Ilford 120 film also come from the factory in vapor-seal inner packaging that's safe for placement into freezers.

If you want more information about cold storage, read Wilhelm's opus:

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/book_toc.html

Chapters 16, 19 and 20 are most relevant if you'd like to minimize download size.

megapickle1
14-Mar-2012, 15:19
Thank you Sal!
I have not read the Wilhelm´s opus but I can see, I have a problem (with my honey). I need a small freezer for film and a small fridge for Polaroids (and room where both of them could be placed to). Oh boy! Digital is much more simple :) but I do not like it very well.

George

Roger Cole
14-Mar-2012, 20:56
I have gleefully frozen film after opening and re-wrapping, and film that comes in internal black plastic, and 35mm film (the cans aren't really air tight) and never had a problem with it. Doesn't mean one can't, but it's clearly not a certain thing that it will cause harm.

Doesn't apply to instant - I certainly wouldn't freeze that.

SamReeves
15-Mar-2012, 09:04
Freeze it and enjoy it!