PDA

View Full Version : Fiber 16X20 paper

Terry Hull
14-Mar-2012, 10:18
A large west side Manhattan photo electronics retailer from whom I have bought a lot of cameras, lenses, chemicals, paper, etc.over the years is losing QC. I have stopped buying photo paper from them for the following reasons. The last two times I have visited the paper they order up from the basement cave has been suspect. A box of 16X20 that took them 35 minutes to locate, ascended from the underground torn with the lid off. I asked the check out folks if they really expected me to buy it-they looked dumbfounded. Two other times I have received defective paper, with large drop patterns on the finalized print. Some folks have suggested it is due to the last part of a production run. The manufacturer suggests it may be due to poor storage conditions combining humidity and excessive weight on the paper. (both of these were in cardboard envelope type enclosures not boxed)
This sort of thing never used to happen.

Daniel Stone
14-Mar-2012, 10:25
which paper MFG are we talking about?

Sounds like a new supplier is in your future

-Dan

false_Aesthetic
14-Mar-2012, 10:31
QC across the board has gone to shit.
Have you dealt with the class of 2015?
Jesus crimminity, those kids definitely weren't produced at FoxConn.

Time to outsource breeding.

Daniel Stone
14-Mar-2012, 10:50
Ilford's still pretty good IMO

I was h.s. class of 2006, and I agree, there's a lot to be had. To quote dave ramsey "Eighteen year old's don't know what they want, their brains are full of mush". I agree wholeheartedly. But I'm sure there are exceptions to that statement ;).

Personally, I don't like the look of inkjets, that's what's keeping me using b/w paper in the darkroom. Unfortunately seeing $20 on average in paper go in the waste bin during a full-day printing session really hurts through financially :(

Sal Santamaura
14-Mar-2012, 11:58
A large west side Manhattan photo electronics retailer from whom I have bought a lot of cameras, lenses, chemicals, paper, etc.over the years is losing QC....The manufacturer suggests it may be due to poor storage conditions combining humidity and excessive weight on the paper. (both of these were in cardboard envelope type enclosures not boxed)...Please stop beating around the bush:

* Name the retailer and manufacturer
* When did the manufacturer say the paper's code indicates it was made?

Terry Hull
14-Mar-2012, 16:54
Retailer B&H paper was Ilford 16X20 fiber. I have found Ilford to be cooperative before when I bought an unopened box of 5X7 FP4 without notches which they replaced. I am inclined to think, without proof, that it was storage conditions, given the mangled box or envelope sometimes sent up from the B&H basement. I am now trying Fomatone MG-thinking that Bergger is just too expensive.

Sal Santamaura
14-Mar-2012, 21:06
A large west side Manhattan photo electronics retailer...A box of 16X20 that took them 35 minutes to locate, ascended from the underground torn with the lid off. I asked the check out folks if they really expected me to buy it-they looked dumbfounded...This sort of thing never used to happen.

Retailer B&H paper was Ilford 16X20 fiber...Thanks for the full disclosure. I agree that storage conditions were probably to blame. In the past, stock turnover was much higher. Today, 16x20 fiber-base paper probably doesn't move well at all, especially if you bought Galerie (graded). That's absolutely no excuse for B&H selling it to you in such a condition.

I suggest that, in the future, if any retailer brings a package looking like that to the checkout location, you inspire dumbfounded looks by refusing to purchase it. Also, do send a message to Henry Posner describing this situation and your decision not to deal with B&H. I suspect he'll do whatever it takes to make you happy. Henry can be reached at:

henryp@bhphoto.com

Terry Hull
16-Mar-2012, 16:03
Well I hater to bet a dead horse, but since I had reserved the NYC printspace darkroom, and had no paper, I had to go to B&H to get paper for printing early today. Today's purchase of 16X20 Ilford warm tone paper came in the cardboard container that had been properly handled. Yep, the first (or last) sheet developed a simliar pattern of uneven development, where the rest of the box did not. It isn't that it was a little off, it looked like an zebra pattern-commpletely unusable. So I am back to thinking it is uneven emulsion application in the manufacturing process. I have to send a part apology to B&H and get in touch with Ilford. I think the man's name is Simon-does anyone have his email address?

Sal Santamaura
16-Mar-2012, 17:39
...I think the man's name is Simon-does anyone have his email address?Simon.Galley@harmantechnology.com

henryp
20-Mar-2012, 11:16
So I am back to thinking it is uneven emulsion application in the manufacturing process. I have to send a part apology to B&H and get in touch with Ilford.
Thank you. Please never hesitate to let us know if there's any problem with a product purchased from us.

Barrie K
26-Mar-2012, 15:15
Well I hater to bet a dead horse, but since I had reserved the NYC printspace darkroom, and had no paper, I had to go to B&H to get paper for printing early today. Today's purchase of 16X20 Ilford warm tone paper came in the cardboard container that had been properly handled. Yep, the first (or last) sheet developed a simliar pattern of uneven development, where the rest of the box did not. It isn't that it was a little off, it looked like an zebra pattern-commpletely unusable. So I am back to thinking it is uneven emulsion application in the manufacturing process. I have to send a part apology to B&H and get in touch with Ilford. I think the man's name is Simon-does anyone have his email address?

I had the same problem with the 16x20 ilford warm tone and when I contacted Harman Express they informed me that they new there had been a problem with the black plastic bags that they supply the paper in reacting with the top sheets but it should be sorted out now.

tgtaylor
26-Mar-2012, 18:00
Thank you. Please never hesitate to let us know if there's any problem with a product purchased from us.

Hi Henry,

I saw your post and thought that B&H may be able to help with a Gitzo tripod and ballhead that I purchased from B&H back at the end of 2007 or 1st quarter of 2008. I can't put my hands on the PO but I'm certain that it was purchased around the same time that I purchased a Nikon 120mm F8 lens (B&H order # 210135950). It's a Gitzo GT 0540 tripod with Gitzo G 1177M head.

Somehow one of the three leg extensions came unscrewed and was lost late last year. As it is impossible to speak to anyone at Manfrotto live, below are the pertinent E-mail's to Manfrotto Distribution and their replys. The first is dated 2 January 2012 and the last is earlier today – 26 March 2012:

I am writing to enquire as to the availability and pricing of the following parts shipped to US Zip Code*94545
1.* One complete 3 leg stage for Gitzo GT0540 triopd.* From the diagram this would appear to*consist of the following parts:
D0402.20, D0301.16;
D002.15, D09505.16;
D0401.16, D402.16, D0301.12;
D002.12, D09503.12, D0401.12, D0301.08;
D002.08, D09502.08
Note:* The diagram is very confusing.* What I need is the 3 leg stages that extend from the top (4th)*section.
Hello,
The parts you need are:
D09505.16 $55.51
D09503.12 $47.51
D09502.08 $30.07
These are each section that includes all of the little parts. We would have to have the parts come from Italy so it will take about 2-3 weeks.
Irene Alexandris
Parts Dept
Direct Line: +1 201-818-9500 xt 250

I am writing to follow-up on the*voice mail I left a few moments ago.

The balance of the*tripod leg assembly that I ordered in January (see e-mail below) arrived by UPS air this a few minutes ago.* Unfortunately it is missing* D0402.20 and D0301.16 which attach the upper 3d assembly (from the gound) to the 4th section which, of course, prevents the assembly from attaching top the tripod.* Please advise ASAP
Thomas

The last 2 parts of your order will be here by the end of March.
Irene Alexandris

Surely those 2 little parts can be shipped more expeditiously than that!*I recently shipped a small package USPS first class*to Stockholm and it was delivered on the 4th business day after shipping (the PO's standard line is that*it takes 5 business*days to Stockholm from Hayward, CA.).
Best regards,

Thomas
If you have these tripods in stock at your location, why not just remove the necessary parts to complete my order and send them to me today?

I have already thought of that but unfortunately Gitzo does not make that tripod anymore. We are trying have the parts expedited form the manufacturer overseas. I will let you know as soon as I get a reply.

Interesting.* It's listed on the Gitzo*website as available and with an updated parts list dates 2/16/12:
http://www.gitzo.us/series-0-carbon-6x-tripod-4-section

The last 2 parts of your order will be here by the end of March.

Surely those 2 little parts can be shipped more expeditiously than that!*I recently shipped a small package USPS first class*to Stockholm and it was delivered on the 4th business day after shipping (the PO's standard line is that*it takes 5 business*days to Stockholm from Hayward, CA.).

Please be advised that part D0301.16 was received this morning with part D0402.20 listed as being on backorder.* What is the ETA for the backorder?

D0402.20 is expected to arrive in stock March 27th, 2012, however, it is just an estimated destination time.
Josh Meltzer
Parts*Department
Direct Line: +1 (201) 818-9500 Ext. 250

Josh,
I received part # D0402.20 knob cover and the D0301.12.* However lacking is the threaded insert that goes between the cover and the D0301.12*for attaching the leg section to the upper leg assembly.* That particular part is not shown on the diagrams and is presumably included with the D0401.20 assembly as it was included with the other 2 leg assemblies you sent.* Without that part the leg assemblies you sent*are useless as they cannot be attached to the upper leg assembly. Please advise.
I would appreciate an expedited resolution of this matter as it has gone on for far too long - since early January!* As a consumer of your firms products (3 Gitzo's series 0, 3, 5 with heads, Gitzo monopod, and 2 Manfrotto tripods with heads, etc) it is difficult for me to justify the type of service/treatment I have received in this matter.

As an ordinary consumer I don't have any clout with Manfrotto notwithstanding that I have purchased 3 Gitzo tripods, 2 Manfrotto tripods, and a Gitzo monopod in the past. However with your status as a major customer of Manfrotto Distribution you may be able to get the results that will finally close this matter. Any assistance that B&H can provide in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thomas

henryp
27-Mar-2012, 07:47
Hi Henry,
I saw your post and thought that B&H may be able to help with a Gitzo tripod and ballhead that I purchased from B&H back at the end of 2007 or 1st quarter of 2008. I can't put my hands on the PO but I'm certain that it was purchased around the same time that I purchased a Nikon 120mm F8 lens (B&H order # 210135950). It's a Gitzo GT 0540 tripod with Gitzo G 1177M head.

I think this would be best handled via email.

tgtaylor
10-Apr-2012, 08:30
As a follow-up I received the following E-mail from Henry a few minutes after the above post above:

I will be happy to share this with the Manfrotto sales manager who is dedicated only to servicing our account and who is a former B&H employee. I am confident he’ll be able to help get this resolved or wuill be able to explain any necessary delay. FWIW I do know that if the parts you need are not in their US warehouse it can take a surprizingly long time before they’re shipped from Europe. Not an excuse, but an explanation.

That same day a recieved an E-mail and telephone call from the sales manager. After identifying the exact part needed he discovered that the same part was used on Series 2 tripods. So he removed it from one of his "samples" and sent it to me thus ending what had been a 3 month nightmare with the parts department at Manfrotto Distribution. Another good reason for purchasing from B&H: Good prices, fast service and they take care of their customers.

Thomas