PDA

View Full Version : Fungus on ground glass

jonreid
13-Mar-2012, 21:53
Hi,
Pretty sure there are some spots of fungus on my 'dorff's gg. It appears to be on the ground side.

Any suggestions on how best to remove it?

Jon

TheDeardorffGuy
13-Mar-2012, 22:09
Is it original GG? Clear lines? If so DO NOT TOUCH IT. Any washing will take the lines off. They are just clear lacquer. that does not bond well to ground glass. As it cures is shrinks breaking the bond.

jonreid
13-Mar-2012, 22:12
No, not original gg. GG came from Steve Hopf, or similar....

petrochemist
14-Mar-2012, 00:36
Vinegar should shift fungus. You'll want to rinse the gg afterwards with distilled water to ensure it dries without streaks.
Sunlight (actually UV) is also reported as being effective at killing it, but I'm less confident of that.

IanG
14-Mar-2012, 06:55
I'd be much more concerned about the rest of the camera because there's far more for fungus to attack. Check the inside of the bellows, I have had to use a fungicide on restorations but I often have to re-blacken the material as well.

The screen I'd just wash well with warm water and soap and rinse well, I then use glass cleaner to prevent drying marks.

Ian

E. von Hoegh
14-Mar-2012, 07:33
Hi,
Pretty sure there are some spots of fungus on my 'dorff's gg. It appears to be on the ground side.

Any suggestions on how best to remove it?

Jon

Remove the GG from the wood frame and wash it with soapy water, rinsing well with water and then 90% isopropyl alcohol. As has been mentioned above, go over the rest of the camera thoroughly to be certain there is no fungus elsewhere.

Jim Noel
14-Mar-2012, 07:46
Listerine is by far the easiest and most efficient method of eliminating fungus.

photobymike
14-Mar-2012, 07:57
Freeze it kills it.. turns to powder and can be cleaned easier.....

lenser
14-Mar-2012, 09:11
Clorox wipes, followed by dish detergent washand thorough rinse, followed by distilled water rinse, possibly followed by an alcohol rinse for streak free drying. All done out of the frame of course. Don't use the alcohol if there is a printed grid. Allow to air dry upright. Don't towel dry as it might leave lint on the ground side.

jonreid
14-Mar-2012, 14:49
Ok, heaps of suggestions. Thanks all. I think I may have packed it away damp after shooting. Will check bellows etc.

Jon