PDA

View Full Version : Re: cheap 4x5 "zoom viewfinder" from the auction site.

joelio
13-Mar-2012, 17:35
Does anybody have any experience with these cheapo zoom viewfinders? Are they any good? Reliable for framing at the claimed focal lengths?

I'm looking for viable options for my cambo wide and am coming up snake eyes. Any help would be helpful. Thanks.

- Joel

Fred L
13-Mar-2012, 18:00
I picked up a variable viewfinder from a seller in Hong Kong and it looks and works fine. Seller was recommended by Daniel (guy who does Byron conversions). This seller had different models depending on the focal range one uses.

joelio
13-Mar-2012, 18:06
I have a feeling that the "zoom" finder that I mentioned above is of the same make as the one that you picked up. The price sure beats anything cambo related on the dreaded auction site.

Thanks for the reply!

- Joel

Fred L
13-Mar-2012, 18:47
Mine works by twisting the front bezel and if you look at the front, you can see blades masking down. I picked up the 4x5 finder that covers 90-210 focal lengths. I haven't had a chance to test it's accuracy to my lenses but I'm using it for previewing compositions so 100% accuracy is not that important for me. I can look up the seller and send you a pm to see if it's the same person or not.

joelio
13-Mar-2012, 19:00
Mine works by twisting the front bezel and if you look at the front, you can see blades masking down. I picked up the 4x5 finder that covers 90-210 focal lengths. I haven't had a chance to test it's accuracy to my lenses but I'm using it for previewing compositions so 100% accuracy is not that important for me. I can look up the seller and send you a pm to see if it's the same person or not.

I would definitely appreciate a PM with the seller info. Thanks.

Robert Ley
13-Mar-2012, 20:59
If you are going to talk about something on the "Auction site" it would be nice to give a link...so easy to see what you are referring too.

joelio
14-Mar-2012, 08:17
If you are going to talk about something on the "Auction site" it would be nice to give a link...so easy to see what you are referring too.

Sounds good to me. Here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Zoom-Viewfinder-4x5-6x12-6x17-Large-Format-Camera-/270582159498?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item3efff4188a

spkennedy3000
15-Mar-2012, 08:00
I have been using that exact one for a year or two - works reasonably well.

joelio
15-Mar-2012, 08:23
I purchased one yesterday and am looking forward to playing with it soon. If it is even relatively accurate for framing purposes it will make life a heck of lot easier - no more yanking the camera and reflex-viewer out for simple composition checks...errr, at least less of that.

People in NYC get very chatty when they see a large format camera. When those same people see me looking through a detached viewfinder they will probably assume that I am just another nutjob.

Gerry Meekins
20-Mar-2012, 05:49
"People in NYC get very chatty when they see a large format camera. When those same people see me looking through a detached viewfinder they will probably assume that I am just another nutjob. "

I love this statement joelio! Now if I could just get the local police to think I'm a nutjob and leave me alone I might purchase one too...
-Gerry

joelio
28-Mar-2012, 08:52
I have received the cheap zoom viewfinder in question and am happy to write up a miniature review of the item if anyone is interested. I'd also be happy to take some pictures of the item.

Ari
28-Mar-2012, 09:07
I'd like to hear a review; I have lenses from 72mm up to 210, and would like to know how well this works as a preview.
Thanks

joelio
28-Mar-2012, 20:54
I'd like to hear a review; I have lenses from 72mm up to 210, and would like to know how well this works as a preview.
Thanks

I'm happy to write up a little review / take photos when I return home this weekend.

Emmanuel BIGLER
28-Mar-2012, 23:58
I take the risk to be a bit provocative, but I must confess in public that I recently acquired a true "zoom viewfinder" recently for the equivalent of $30 postage included ;)
ahem .. in fact this is the price I paid for a used-but-almost-new 35 mm Point 'n Shoot film camera with a 28-100 zoom lens and matched zoom viewfinder. The finder is a true zoom viewfinder, not a fixed angle finder with masks, a good ol' optical system with a high eyepoint eyepiece, allowing me to see 100% of the viewfinder image with my ophtalmic glasses on, unlike the venerable Linhof-version-1, totally useless to people wearing glasses.
And (do not disclose this to the forum's moderators) I'll give you a little secret: if you put some film inside the box, not only you'll still have a zoom viewfinder avalaible, but you'll be able to take pictures whith it :o

joelio
29-Mar-2012, 04:58
I take the risk to be a bit provocative, but I must confess in public that I recently acquired a true "zoom viewfinder" recently for the equivalent of $30 postage included ;)
ahem .. in fact this is the price I paid for a used-but-almost-new 35 mm Point 'n Shoot film camera with a 28-100 zoom lens and matched zoom viewfinder. The finder is a true zoom viewfinder, not a fixed angle finder with masks, a good ol' optical system with a high eyepoint eyepiece, allowing me to see 100% of the viewfinder image with my ophtalmic glasses on, unlike the venerable Linhof-version-1, totally useless to people wearing glasses.
And (do not disclose this to the forum's moderators) I'll give you a little secret: if you put some film inside the box, not only you'll still have a zoom viewfinder avalaible, but you'll be able to take pictures whith it :o

This is my kind of post! I'll bet the pictures that you make with your viewfinder look pretty darned good, too. :)

joelio
10-Apr-2012, 11:10
With much delay and little by way of explanation for said delay, here goes.

The build on this thing is solid, though the actual optics are soft and pretty distorted - it makes my old Cambo finders look fantastic optically. Again and probably most importantly, the build quality is solid and the aperture selection has indentations so that once you've selected your focal length the finder is not going to slip wider or longer.

The actual finder operates as mentioned earlier - there is a set of sliding masks that open and close depending on your desired focal length. Accordingly, longer focal lengths will appear smaller through the finder than wider ones (there is no optical zoom / racking of the viewfinder). For simple framing, this finder definitely gets the job done.

One caveat - I haven't measured the finder's focal lengths against another finder or lens. I need to save that for next time!

Here are a few pics. If anyone has questions, please let me know.

photobymike
10-Apr-2012, 11:19
Yes i got a DAYI camera from China.... got the viewfinder for the 65mm lens and it was blurry really bad... called and emailed about the blurry finder... there response was its was normal!!! i tried and tried ... sold the crappy camera for a big loss... I hear the Fotoman company has a higher standard of quality ... try them....

Steve Smith
10-Apr-2012, 12:09

Another little known secret: Some of those picture taking viewfinders function as light meters too.

Steve.

joelio
10-Apr-2012, 13:36
Another little known secret: Some of those picture taking viewfinders function as light meters too.

Steve.

I bet you're going to try to convince me that you can make prints from them, too!

Ari
10-Apr-2012, 18:27
Thanks for the review, Joe; too bad about the crappy optics.

joelio
10-Apr-2012, 18:51
Thanks for the review, Joe; too bad about the crappy optics.

No problem. Despite the fact that it doesn't take photos and the optics are on par with the bottom of a drinking glass, it gets the job done. :)