PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 in drum roller first experience.

Darin Cozine
17-Dec-2003, 00:21
FYI, I just processed 4 sheets of 4x5 film in an 8x10 print drum, and they turned out great, the process was easy.

I first read about this method here at http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/ This article specified to use a film drum, but I used a print drum instead. Loading the drum was easy compared to loading a yankee style tank. I did not have to worry about scratching the film using the 'shuffle' method. I did not have to sit in the darkroom all 25 minutes of the development.

I will scan and post the negs after they dry, but I just wanted you to know that the experience went well.

Matt Miller
17-Dec-2003, 05:54
If I'm not mistaken, I believe he did specify a paper drum in the article.

I used the unicolor drum method for a while for 4x5 film developing. It is definitely a simple process. Very nice when you have long developing times, as you can do something else while it's spinning around. Sometimes it's hard to live with that constant agitation though.

Matt Miller
17-Dec-2003, 05:56
"paper drum"? I meant print drum.

d.s.
17-Dec-2003, 08:23
Darin, I too have been using this system. So far about 35 negatives. Using a 5 min. presoak, then D-76 at normal times. (320 TXP) The other day I souped 2 negatives in HC-110, (dil. "H") 4.5 ml syrup to 291 ml water, at twice the time of dil.B. I can't remember for sure, but I think that I only used 200 ml of the solution. I forgot to presoak but they look good to my eye. I haven't printed them yet. I'll put them in the enlarger tonight and look for even development and grain.

Paul Metcalf
17-Dec-2003, 11:20
Darin- Right on! I use a print drum (Jobo) for 5x7 and 8x10 film, works great. Occasionally I get some anti-halation color remaining after processing, but simply soaking in my print washer (using clothes pins to suspend in top of washer - you's got ta love it!) clears them up completely. Using this method the only time I've had a screw up is... oh, never!

Jeff Dilcher
17-Dec-2003, 11:49
I have always done my rotation development in a Jobo 3010 drum on a Beseler motor base. In the past I have used TMAX 100 and HC110. This has worked well for me, though I haven't done good testing to find out exactly my proper "plus" times.

I would like to start using Pyro, as I have had some good luck with it in smaller tanks developing medium format film.

I know there can be problems with the Pyro oxidizing, and this can be counteracted by either refreshing the developer with new solution halfway through the development process, changing the ratio of solutions A and B when mixing the developer, adding other consituents to the developer, etc.

Anyone using Pyro in a Jobo drum care to share what works best for them?

Jon_2416
17-Dec-2003, 20:33
Yeah! I love my Unidrum. Pre-wash, HP5+, HC-110 1:45. Gorgeous negs. I do not see any problems with constant agitation.

Darin Cozine
18-Dec-2003, 18:29
OK, here are some details in what I used.

Equipment: *Chromega dual-action motor base. -This does not reverse direction as the name implys, but instead wobbles the tank a bit as it rotates.

*Ilford Cibachrome print drum. >This drum is flat on the inside, it has no ridges to keep the film back away from the wall of the drum. I was thinking this would cause the anti-halation coating from dissolving off. However, the film bows a bit in the center, which allowed enough chemical to wash the coating off. I will get a hypo-clear solution for the wash just in case. >Anyway, the drum has 2 lids.. The first is concave and used for filling. The other lid is convex and is used for draining. These are ingenious, because the fill lid holds the chemical until you set the drum on its side then it is released into the drum. Even better, when the development is done, you can be filling while the exhausted developer is draining. This cuts down greatly on the transition time required. >I did make a spacer out of vinyl tubing and i glued it inside the drum to keep the film from moving around.

Chemistry: 150 ml Agfa Rodinol 1:50 >I was worried that there was not enough developer for 4 sheets of film, but it worked fine. (18 minutes) 150 ml Ilford stop bath (hand rotated for about 10 sec) 150 ml Ilford rapid fixer. (4 min)

Film: Ilford FP4 iso 125, rated at iso 100