PDA

View Full Version : SciTex Eversmart Pro II, Mac G4 with OS X 10.4, oXYgen 2.3.5 - no go.

izhkul
10-Mar-2012, 21:50
Hi All,

I was given for free well used but alive Eversmart Pro II, with Scitex original oXYgen 2.3.5 CD.

Spent some time getting/setting Mac G4 with OS X 10.4 Tiger.
Good people from Yahoo ScanHi-End group helped me with required Kodak Firewire driver update 2.6 for Tiger (Kodak was not helpful).

After all these efforts I discovered oXYgen Install&Util crashes... so I cannot run oXYgen scan app.

There were a thread on this forum concerning exactly this problem:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?77819-Scitex-Eversmart-Pro-II-Software-Computer/page5&

It looks I can ask here for... hmm... help with update for the broken oXYgen soft.

Regards,
Sergei.

SergeyT
12-Mar-2012, 19:41
Why not to downgrade the OS to 10.3.9 which is proven to work well with ProII and oXYgen 2.3.5 ?

SergeyT.

izhkul
13-Mar-2012, 10:29
Why not to downgrade the OS to 10.3.9 which is proven to work well with ProII and oXYgen 2.3.5 ?

SergeyT.

I read SciTex/Kodak docs and followed to recommendations - 10.4, Tiger.
Thanks for advice, I'll give http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Panther a try...

Sergei.

izhkul
16-Mar-2012, 09:26
I read SciTex/Kodak docs and followed to recommendations - 10.4, Tiger.
Thanks for advice, I'll give http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Panther a try...

Sergei.

Yes, downgrade to 10.3.9 helped. Now I have to find calibration slide... BTW, it it possible to make a copy of such slide with contact print on a 8x10 film? Well, negative, then positive?

MisterPrinter
17-Mar-2012, 13:55
BTW, it it possible to make a copy of such slide with contact print on a 8x10 film? Well, negative, then positive?

The calibration slide is big - nearly the size of the glass.

SergeyT
20-Mar-2012, 18:26
It is a half of the glass sized. And beside different shapes it includes special inserts for gray balancing (both ref and transp). Do not see how it can be replicated via contact printing

georgl
21-Mar-2012, 06:06
I have Oxygen 2.6 which works with Tiger. Interested? I also have the calibration slide, but I would only send it with sufficient insurance.

MisterPrinter
21-Mar-2012, 13:01
It is a half of the glass sized. And beside different shapes it includes special inserts for gray balancing (both ref and transp). Do not see how it can be replicated via contact printing

My apologies, does the Pro 2 have the type 1 slide ?

izhkul
22-Mar-2012, 20:03
I have Oxygen 2.6 which works with Tiger. Interested? I also have the calibration slide, but I would only send it with sufficient insurance.

I'd be interested in oXYgen 2.6.

As for the calibration slide: thank you for the generous offer.

AFAIU you are in Germany, and I'm in USA, Boston, so it's at least inconvenient for you and I don't want you to take this burden. I found a person willing to sell me used calibration target for $150, so I'd rather go this way.

Thanks again.

Sergei.

Arno M
17-Dec-2012, 09:13
Hello everybody. It's my first post here.

I'm a photographer based in the south-west of france. I work mainly with 4x5 and 8x10 film formats, and soon with a 11x14 setup.. I also work as a film editor.
I've found invaluable information here during the last few years that encouraged me to dig into LF photography and color film processing. So thanks to you all.

I have the same setup as Sergei: I recently bought an eversmart pro II in Germany. The scanner arrived in good shape, but the original installation CD for oxygen version 2.3.5 seems corrupted. I'm looking for a replacement for OS10.4 to be able to use the scanner.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards. Arno.

izhkul
19-Dec-2012, 09:01
Hi Arno,
I ended with use of OXYgen 2.3.5 with Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther.

Results:
4x5 (Graflex with Xenar, handheld) scanned with Eversmart Pro II, slightly cropped.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7105/7276253258_60501c629e_b.jpg

1:1, 6400dpi.
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/eldyrin/16524264/32716/32716_original.png

aming
11-Jan-2013, 08:39

Hi georgl. I have Mac G3 computer installed with OS9.2.2. Could the Oxygen2.6 run under OS9.2.2? Thanks a lot.

Arno M
21-Jan-2013, 02:03
Hello aming.

it's not possible. With OS9 you need the original Eversmartscan software or an earlier Oxygen version. For example I know that version 2.3.2 work with OS9, 10.2 or 10.3. Later versions like 2.6.0 work in OSX only.

here are the minimum system requirements from the oxygen 2.6.0 release notes:

• Apple Power Mac G5 or G4 computer
• Mac OS X only (version 10.3.x or 10.4.x)
• 200 MB RAM for the scanning software (not including memory for the system software)
• Minimum of 2 GB of hard disk space
Note: In addition to this minimum of 2 GB, it is recommended that you have additional disk space equal to at least three times the size of the scanned file. This space is for temporary use by the scanner. For further information, see the oXYgen Scanning Application User Guide (399Z1P555C), Chapter 11, page 174.
• 24-bit color display
• Color monitor with a display resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels

Arno M
21-Jan-2013, 05:37
Hi Arno,
I ended with use of OXYgen 2.3.5 with Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther.

Hello Sergei

I hope you got my MP sooner this month. Thanks for you reply and for posting these scans. The crop is interesting and I've had the same detailed result with color negatives and chromes, with the grain of the film really apparent.

I managed to make the ES pro II work with versions 2.6.0 and 2.6.3, something not supposed to happen… I only had these versions handy and I was impatient to know if the scanner was in good working condition after shipping, so I gave it a try. The Install and Utlility software recognizes the scanner as a ProII and run all the test accordingly. I started to learn how to use Oxygen and scanned some film.

Recently, the scanner suddenly stopped to respond. The green light on the SCSI to FW converter (original creo version) was off. I found a powermac G4 with a SCSI card running OS9 and was able to check the scanner. It works fine. Strange thing is the converter seems OK too.

Someone mentions this problem on the HiEnd scan forum. In order to make the FW converter work again, he needed to reinstall oxygen using SCSI connectivity to reload some parameters on the scanner.

I could do this with version 2.3.5 as it's SCSI compatible (with OSX 10.2.8). This version was sold with the scanner I bought but the CD is corrupted. I'll be really thankful if you, or another member of the forum, could be kind enough to send me a copy of this version of Oxygen.

Regards. Arno.

SURF
22-Jan-2013, 05:37
Hoi Arno,

I managed to make the ES pro II work with versions 2.6.0 and 2.6.3, something not supposed to happen… I only had these versions handy and I was impatient to know if the scanner was in good working condition after shipping, so I gave it a try. The Install and Utlility software recognizes the scanner as a ProII and run all the test accordingly.

This is a very interesting info. Thank you. Can I ask you some questions? Your version 2.6.3 is for EverSmart family or for iQsmarts? What type of computer are you using - G4 or G5? Which OS X?

Best wishes
Al

Arno M
22-Jan-2013, 11:33
This is a very interesting info. Thank you. Can I ask you some questions? Your version 2.6.3 is for EverSmart family or for iQsmarts? What type of computer are you using - G4 or G5? Which OS X?

Hello Al

The oxygen 2.6.3 I have is for the IQsmart series. I've installed it on a powerbook G4 (1.5Ghz, Jan 2005) running mac osx 10.5.8, the only PPC computer I had at the time. I know that powerbooks are not supported, but some members of the Scan HiEnd forum mentioned this unusual setup. I was almost certain this needed some custom install and that something would go wrong at some point with a basic install, but I tried it anyway.

The install&utility software detects the scanner as a pro II, run the test and creates an EverSmartDb.EverSmartProII file in the preferences folder. Oxygen works fine, except for the missing Eversmart tables (in the applications/oxygen folder) and profiles (in Library/ColorSync/Profiles). As expected, only the IQsmart tables and profiles were present. All the functionnalities seemed to be there, including 16 bit RGB tif scanning.

I then installed the 2.6.0, which is an Eversmart version, on a remote FW bootable drive running 10.4.11. I just copied the EverSmartDb.EverSmartProII file from the previous install in the preferences folder to skip this step. I gave it a try and it worked too, even with 2 simultaneous FW connections (bootable 10.4 drive + scanner). The Eversmart tables et profiles were here as expected.

I copied these files in the corresponding folders on the powerbook internal HD (mac OS 10.5.8 & oxygen 2.6.3 IQ), and boot it. Again it worked, but then all the Eversmart options were available.

When my problems started with the FW converter, I had to install eversmartscan 2.5.1 on a powermac G4 with a SCSI connectivity to check the scanner. I then tried it with chromes and negatives I've already scanned using Oxygen. The later versions of Oxygen were made for the Supreme and Select scanners and I wanted to know if something would go wrong with the Pro II. I found no difference between files made using Oxygen 2.6.3 and evertsmartscan when using the same settings and profiles.

Best
Arno

PS : I will reply to your PM in a minute.

SURF
22-Jan-2013, 11:46
Thanks Arno! It's a nice story. :) I have to read it several times till all that information become familiar.