PDA

View Full Version : Nikkor 300mm W vs. Fujinon 300W

pdmoylan
10-Mar-2012, 18:15
I am interested if anyone has had an opportunity to compare the relative performance of these two. I am aware of the coverage, weight etc. . More interested in your subjective take on relative resolution, contrast and color characteristics.

Thanks.

axs810
14-Oct-2014, 05:19
Sorry to revive an old thread but I was trying to search the forums for this exact question and was wondering if anyone could share some info? I'm interested in these two lenses because the Nikkor 300mm f/5.6 is what I used in college (loved it) then for awhile I used a Fujinon 300mm f/5.6 L (great lens)...only problem is I shot very different things with both lenses. The Nikkor I used on an 8x10 and racked the bellows out to 18inch for a portrait and loved the DOF. While the fujinon was more for environmental portraiture. I liked how "cheap" the fujinons are on ebay but don't know if it would be as good as the Nikkor lens in a close portrait situation?

ImSoNegative
14-Oct-2014, 05:32
I have never used the nikkor but have used the fujinon W, I have also used the L, both the L and the W are excellent lenses, the W has quit a bit bigger image circle than the L. to me all fujinon lenses are top notch and hard to beat, and for the price you cant beat them

axs810
14-Oct-2014, 05:48
Do you think the fujinon 300mm f/5.6W would experience vignetting on an 8x10 racked out at 18inch-24inch? I have never experience vignetting issues on LF so I don't know if it would start at longer extensions or only camera movements?

ic-racer
14-Oct-2014, 06:15
Do you think the fujinon 300mm f/5.6W would experience vignetting on an 8x10 racked out at 18inch-24inch? I have never experience vignetting issues on LF so I don't know if it would start at longer extensions or only camera movements?

The Fujinon would have an image circle around 800mm, so vignetting would not be a problem on 8x10 under those conditions. Issues with vignetting are more frequently associated with infinity focus and/or extremes of camera movement.

axs810
14-Oct-2014, 06:23
Sweet! Thanks for the quick replies :)