PDA

View Full Version : Good cheap padded case for Pentax Digital Spot?

Frank Petronio
10-Mar-2012, 18:01
Or which model Lowe-Pro Neoprene thing works best?

Mark Sampson
10-Mar-2012, 18:32
I used one of those for 18-1/2 years and never needed a case, strap, lanyard or holster for it. And I still wouldn't, if I hadn't left it on the ground and gone far away after making a photograph in Nov. 2010. Hmm...maybe a case would have helped.

Eric Biggerstaff
10-Mar-2012, 18:48
I just use a point and shoot camera case, well padded and cheap.

Frank Petronio
10-Mar-2012, 18:50
Yeah I just use the case for padding in the large camera case - when shooting I just shove it into my pocket - basically I am wondering what model # to order, lol.

SW Rick
10-Mar-2012, 20:44
Frank,

I have the leather holster one, and it is marked inside with John Sexton's name and info, therefore it's even more accurate and takes better pictures than yours! Plus it makes it look like i am packing' heat, deterring troublemakers! Two-fer.

Frank Petronio
10-Mar-2012, 21:19
Yeah I used to own a lovely Zone VI holster and in the 80s another guy, Kevin something, use to cobble his own for the in-crowd too. Nowadays I really prefer not using anything on my belt that looks like a pistol holster for practical reasons like some Homeland Security sniper blowing my head off under the Golden Gate bridge or something like that. Those guys have to get bored....

darr
11-Mar-2012, 06:08
Yeah I used to own a lovely Zone VI holster and in the 80s another guy, Kevin something, use to cobble his own for the in-crowd too. Nowadays I really prefer not using anything on my belt that looks like a pistol holster for practical reasons like some Homeland Security sniper blowing my head off under the Golden Gate bridge or something like that. Those guys have to get bored....

Frank you are so smart and entertaining at the same time!

Wish I could help you, but I sold my Pentax Spot a while back. You could just use an old sock. :)

Marc B.
11-Mar-2012, 13:25
HA-HA. I like a good LOL thread now and then. Many years ago I used a handcuff case for an old Weston meter.
I quit carrying it on my belt...got tired of all the questions.
Frank, I would just check the internal dimensions of any prospective case, and run with a case that will accommodate.

Kirk Gittings
11-Mar-2012, 13:30
I use a low cut running sock that I dye middle gray-really. Solves two problems at once. I dye the pair together so I always have a backup when the first one gets to groddy.

bruceroberts4
11-Mar-2012, 14:14
I wear a small fanny pack with the pouch at the front for easy access to accessories (loupe, filters, etc). I have a mountain climbers chalk bag that I got at REI strapped onto the fanny pack belt to hold my spot meter. The pouch has a quick action draw string I use to keep the spot meter from falling out. Might not be what you're looking for, but the setup works pretty well for me. FYI - JPEG attached. I also strap on a 4x5 film holder pouch (Gnass Gear) on the other side of the fanny pack so that I have everything I need to make an image without going to my backpack.

Frank Petronio
11-Mar-2012, 14:16
I remember chalk bags, I may still have one buried with my EBs ;-p If that doesn't date me nothing will.

But that's a great idea since they can stay open to catch the loupe and meter while you're working but then they close nice.

ROL
11-Mar-2012, 15:53
I remember chalk bags, I may still have one buried with my EBs ;-p If that doesn't date me nothing will.

EB's.:D My last pair was so full of holes and duct tape, I may have actually given them to the Goodwill in a blistering cleanout last century. I think I still have several black toenails.

P.S. I don't, and won't, use a holster for mine.

vinny
11-Mar-2012, 17:26
The company that makes these holsters, also makes/made them for the pentax. $215 is nothin' for the kinda money you make.
http://www.filmtools.com/minolta-spot-f-meter-leather-pouch.html
oh wait, you said cheap. my bad.

Bill_1856
11-Mar-2012, 17:32
I don't understand. Mine came with a nice fitted padded zipper case. Is there something wrong with it?

Frank Petronio
11-Mar-2012, 17:58
HA-HA. I like a good LOL thread now and then. Many years ago I used a handcuff case for an old Weston meter.
I quit carrying it on my belt...got tired of all the questions.
Frank, I would just check the internal dimensions of any prospective case, and run with a case that will accommodate.

Except I wasn't kidding, I really do not want to wear a holster out in public these days!

And no I do not have the OEM case.

vinny
11-Mar-2012, 18:22
the oem case is like "putting 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag"
that's what I think of it.

Bill_1856
11-Mar-2012, 20:15

Huh?

Frank Petronio
11-Mar-2012, 20:39
I don't think he liked the OEM case very well.

... But it's OK guys, I'm all set. Don't let things get out of hand.

jonreid
12-Mar-2012, 01:38
I got a Kenesis pouch for my sekonic meter. They make all different shapes and sizes for people in the film industry, you know 'best-boys' and 'grips'...

DougD
12-Mar-2012, 09:32
I'm using chalk bags as well for lenses and other bits. I'm also using cheap ass carabiners to clip them to whatever is appropriate for quick access.

Brian Ellis
12-Mar-2012, 10:18

Now there's a useful message. Care to give a reason so we can evaluate your opinion and know whether we should give it any credence or not? Or are we supposed to just take your word for it?

I used the oem zippered holster for years. I thought it was excellent - padded enough to protect the meter from my drops but small enough to be comfortable when seated. I had a shoe-repair store add a loop to the back so I could wear it on my belt. And it's certainly cheap since it adds nothing to the cost of the meter. I wasn't worried then about being shot and I wouldn't worry about it today.

I also owned the Zone VI Studios holster. I didn't care for it. The leather was very stiff and I found it uncomfortable to wear when seated or bending over.

vinny
12-Mar-2012, 13:07
it's a tight fit. and designed to keep the lanyard through the hole in the bottom.
no belt loop.

dave_whatever
12-Mar-2012, 13:30

You've just gone up a notch in my estimation Frank.

Just remember to take the chalk out before you stick your meter in there.

Frank Petronio
12-Mar-2012, 14:35
naw I was a poser, a soft man then, a doughier one now.

Frank Petronio
12-Mar-2012, 17:47
When I was boy I learning rock climbing in Utah and thought I could lead 5.8 just fine. Then I went to the Gunks and couldn't follow a 5.6.

Talk about sandbagging the out-of-towners... Eddie Gunks is doing it still!

But yes nothing was worse than the colored chalk period of the late 80s... that and spandex tights and neon colors. My ass looked a mile wide in Magenta compression shorts....

dave_whatever
13-Mar-2012, 00:57
Judging by guidebook photos the '80s in climbing were definitely "the decade that style forgot". Leopard print lycra, white socks pulled up to the knees with boreal fires. Not to mention chalkbags that would take your arm up to the elbow. You boys have a lot to answer for.

Frank Petronio
13-Mar-2012, 05:08
Those were new wavers to me.

ROL
13-Mar-2012, 09:12
Judging by guidebook photos the '80s in climbing were definitely "the decade that style forgot". Leopard print lycra, white socks pulled up to the knees with boreal fires. Not to mention chalkbags that would take your arm up to the elbow. You boys have a lot to answer for.

Not me, I stopped serious climbing back in the 70's. Milkman pants, no chalk bag, swami belts instead of harnesses, homemade runners, gear and aid slings. Unquestionably pre-Friends.

I stopped serious everything else in October 2008.

Frank Petronio
13-Mar-2012, 09:37
I was done by 83 at 23, I fell off this and spent the Summer pooping in a cup:

(and pooping in the cup was the fun part of the day.) I respect rock climbing a lot but I don't recommend it to many people. I was dumb and lucky.

ROL
13-Mar-2012, 16:33
Hit the trashcan?

Yipeee... 300 posts!

Gary Gervin
25-Mar-2012, 00:04
You could consider making your own from a blue foam sleeping mat and some barge cement. It won't be pretty, but it will be cheap and well padded.

Old-N-Feeble
25-Mar-2012, 08:13
I bought a Sekonic spot meter that didn't come with a case. I'd like to have an original case but, since I keep a rubber lens hood on it at all times, it wouldn't fit properly anyway. I've been keeping it in a plastic bag but I should probably find a nice soft generic bag for it to help prevent damage to the LCD panel. I guess it's time to visit a local Walmart. :)