PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic shutter cleaner?

Bill_1856
10-Mar-2012, 08:50
I was just looking at Amazon for an ultrasonic cleaner for my eyeglasses, when I noticed that many were listed as for use on watches and jewelry as well as glasses. It occurred to me that maybe shutters which were gummed up with dried-up old lubricants might be un-frozen this way.
Has anybody tried it?

BrianShaw
10-Mar-2012, 08:55
I was just looking at Amazon for an ultrasonic cleaner for my eyeglasses, when I noticed that many were listed as for use on watches and jewelry as well as glasses. It occurred to me that maybe shutters which were gummed up with dried-up old lubricants might be un-frozen this way.
Has anybody tried it?

Realize one thing - ultrasonic cleaners are for watch and shutter PARTS, not complete units.

The cheap ultrasonic units aren't really very effective. Better ones are expensive. The cleaning fluid used in them makes a difference. When a good ultrasonic cleaner is used with good cleaning fluid, they are generally considered the best cleaning a part can get.

E. von Hoegh
10-Mar-2012, 09:30
Realize one thing - ultrasonic cleaners are for watch and shutter PARTS, not complete units.

The cheap ultrasonic units aren't really very effective. Better ones are expensive. The cleaning fluid used in them makes a difference. When a good ultrasonic cleaner is used with good cleaning fluid, they are generally considered the best cleaning a part can get.

What he ^ said.

There is no "easy" way out. A shutter must be at least partly disassembled for cleaning, and the dirtier and gummier it is, the farther it must be stripped. Also, keep in mind that the people who write ad copy know dick about anything other than writing ad copy. (winking smiley)

Leigh
10-Mar-2012, 12:38
Ultrasonic cleaning has been standard procedure in the camera repair industry for over 40 years,

As was already mentioned, shutters must be dis-assembled, then the appropriate parts are cleaned.

I use a two-quart Branson.
I wouldn't recommend any smaller than one quart for shutters, and that wouldn't do a Copal 3 or a large Ilex or Alphax.

Once cleaned, the shutter must be properly lubricated and re-assembled.
This takes training, time, tools, and the right lubricants, which are expensive.

- Leigh