PDA

View Full Version : BTZS ExpoDev for iOS is now available in the iTunes store

david.jade
9-Mar-2012, 18:38
I am happy to announce that BTZS ExpoDev for iOS v1.0 has been approved and officially released. It won’t be searchable in iTunes for a few days or so, but in the meantime you can use these direct links:

Official app website with links to the app in iTunes, feature information, screenshots, the user manual, and info on how to get support: http://TinyOctopus.net/ExpoDev

Direct link to BTZS ExpoDev in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/btzs-expodev/id507385770

Ken Lee
9-Mar-2012, 20:20
Purchased :)

david.jade
9-Mar-2012, 20:36
Thanks I really appreciate that!

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
9-Mar-2012, 20:50
Hmm, very interested. Its almost enough reason to switch from android to apple. I may just buy a used itouch or see if I can find an older iPhone. Any limitations to the age of the machine or iOS?

Roger Thoms
9-Mar-2012, 20:53
Just purchased, been waiting a long time for this. Thanks.

Roger

david.jade
10-Mar-2012, 00:26
Yes, you need an iOS device that can run OS version 4.3.3 or later. Here is Apple's list of devices that support that:

• iPhone 4S
• iPhone 4
• iPhone 3GS
• iPad 2
• iPad
• iPod touch (4th generation)
• iPod touch (3rd generation)

JohnN
10-Mar-2012, 04:08
Hooray!

Jumped right on it!

Pawlowski6132
10-Mar-2012, 05:03
Why do you refer to it as BTZS?

Larry Gebhardt
10-Mar-2012, 10:57
Why do you refer to it as BTZS?

From Beyond The Zone System. The book and methodology from Phil Davis

Pawlowski6132
10-Mar-2012, 10:59
From Beyond The Zone System. The book and methodology from Phil Davis

I know that but, what's the connection been the book and this app?

Laura_Campbell
10-Mar-2012, 13:19
I know that but, what's the connection been the book and this app?

From David Jades' website: http://tinyoctopus.net/ExpoDev/

"BTZS ExpoDev is the newest generation of ExpoDev for Apple iOS devices. As a companion app for BTZS Plotter, ExpoDev allows you to use your BTZS Film Profiles to accurately calculate B&W film exposures in the field for consistently exposed negatives that are easier to print in the darkroom. ExpoDev was designed for Large Format film photographers working in any traditional or alternative process (including hybrid processes such as film scanning/digital printing)."

Pawlowski6132
10-Mar-2012, 19:20
From David Jades' website: http://tinyoctopus.net/ExpoDev/

"BTZS ExpoDev is the newest generation of ExpoDev for Apple iOS devices. As a companion app for BTZS Plotter, ExpoDev allows you to use your BTZS Film Profiles to accurately calculate B&W film exposures in the field for consistently exposed negatives that are easier to print in the darkroom. ExpoDev was designed for Large Format film photographers working in any traditional or alternative process (including hybrid processes such as film scanning/digital printing)."

Overly complicated.

david.jade
10-Mar-2012, 19:58
The connection between this app and the book is, I worked with Phil Davis (book author) for a number of years creating the supporting software for the BTZS methodology. I am the author of Plotter for Windows, worked on upgrades to the existing Palm version of ExpoDev, and created the PocketPC and now iOS versions of ExpoDev. I also created and run the web site, http://BTZS.org.

I'm not sure if you're reacting to what I wrote as part of a blog article as too complicated or the app itself. If the app, I can assure you that a lot of thought and work was put into this app the make it as quick and convenient as possible.

coops
11-Mar-2012, 11:49
I have the program on a palm, which is small and a pain to use with the little plastic pen. I think I will purchase an ipod and this app. Can I get one of the cheaper 2nd gen ipods or do I need the newer version? Also, is it simple transferring my test data from my pc to the ipod?

Thanks

brianam
11-Mar-2012, 12:12
coops: the listed compatibility with iPods is
• iPod touch (4th generation)
• iPod touch (3rd generation)

so you need one of the touch screen models. i.e. the iPod Touch (which is really just an iPhone without the cellular radio).

Light Guru
11-Mar-2012, 12:42
Looks kinda interesting but the price is way to high to consider testing it out. I've tried other iOS apps for keeping track of exposures and could not find one I liked. They were all just a few bucks so no biggie but $25 is way to much to spend for an app like that.

Ken Lee
11-Mar-2012, 12:57
Unlike many other apps, this isn't something to install and try out. It isn't a standalone app.

It doesn't just track exposure data, it performs calculations that take a number of factors into consideration, even the contrast paper you're planning to print on (or not). It determines exposure and development.

You need test data - about your film and more - and the (separate) application which creates it, in order to use this application.

The price is very reasonable IMHO. It's a specialized tool.

And I think they did a very nice job with the interface.

Roger Thoms
11-Mar-2012, 13:14
This isn't something you install and try out. It isn't a standalone app.

You need test data - about your film and more - and the (separate) application which creates it, in order to even use this application.

The price is very reasonable IMHO. It's a specialized tool.

Ken is absolutely right, and I also agree the price is very reasonable.

Roger

Laura_Campbell
11-Mar-2012, 19:19
Ken is absolutely right, and I also agree the price is very reasonable.

Roger

I agree with Ken as well. This app is totally unique and is unlike the generic apps currently available. When I consider how much we spend on equipment, film, and other photographic supplies, the price of this app is inexpensive by comparison. I use ExpoDev on an iPod Touch and love it. Thank you to David Jade for investing so many months (7 +) to create this wonderful tool.

Scott Walker
12-Mar-2012, 07:36
You need test data - about your film and more - and the (separate) application which creates it, in order to use this application.

What is this seperate application.
I thought I would give it a try but the app has a note stating you cannot use the app without BTZS film profiles exported by the BTZS plotter application.
I could not find any other BTZS app.

David Aimone
12-Mar-2012, 07:52
I too am looking for a good tool to use for calculating and logging exposures, but I don't use BTZS profiles, so am wondering if this program is still useful.

Roger Thoms
12-Mar-2012, 08:07
What is this seperate application.
I thought I would give it a try but the app has a note stating you cannot use the app without BTZS film profiles exported by the BTZS plotter application.
I could not find any other BTZS app.

The Plotter program from the View Camera store. http://www.viewcamerastore.com/servlet/the-69/BTZS-Plotter-for-Windows/Detail

I would also recommend Phil Davis's book Beyond The Zone System.

Roger

david.jade
12-Mar-2012, 09:56
I too am looking for a good tool to use for calculating and logging exposures, but I don't use BTZS profiles, so am wondering if this program is still useful.

ExpoDev does require BTZS film profiles to calculate an exposure, it cannot do so without them. It also cannot just log exposure info without first calculating it. It was designed for BTZS practitioners.

Lachlan 717
12-Mar-2012, 11:13
The Plotter program from the View Camera store. http://www.viewcamerastore.com/servlet/the-69/BTZS-Plotter-for-Windows/Detail

Roger

Given this is for Apple hardware, where is the "Plotter-for-Mac" option?

Seems a little nonsensical to develop an Apple App that requires Windows...

Eric Rose
12-Mar-2012, 11:15
Any eta for an Android version?

Ken Lee
12-Mar-2012, 11:21
For the record, I just asked a support question through the designated site, and got a very prompt reply with explicit instructions. Another piece of positive feedback.

Ben Syverson
12-Mar-2012, 11:53
David, I strongly recommend that you incorporate the ability to build a BTZS profile within the app. I'm an app developer, so I appreciate what you're doing with the app price. But I suspect you will get extremely negative feedback for a $25 app that requires the purchase and use of a separate $29 Windows desktop app.

Ken Lee
12-Mar-2012, 12:16
I suspect you will get extremely negative feedback for a $25 app that requires the purchase and use of a separate $29 Windows desktop app.

There is a bit of cart-before-the-horse thinking here.

The core program is Plotter, which runs on Windows. This hand-held application, ExpoDev, is an optional extension to it - not the other way around. Many people own Plotter, but may or may not own or use ExpoDev in the field.

(It's natural not to know this if you're not familiar with BTZS).

This version of ExpoDev is actually a port from PalmOS to iOS. The PalmOS version is also an extension of the Windows application - and it was a port from something even earlier, if I'm not mistaken.

David, I strongly recommend that you incorporate the ability to build a BTZS profile within the app

I wouldn't want to use a small device like a phone, to perform the data-entry/calculation/graphing/printing tasks handled by the Plotter program. A tablet might be more appropriate, or a desktop (which is what it is today).

Ben Syverson
12-Mar-2012, 12:25
Ken, I can appreciate that, but still... What about a universal app that lets you do data entry on the iPad and exposure calculation on the iPhone? An iPad is more convenient for entering data during development / printing than a laptop or desktop anyway.

Ken Lee
12-Mar-2012, 12:32
"An iPad is more convenient for entering data during development / printing than a laptop or desktop anyway."

I'm sure a soup-to-nuts tablet version would be attractive, and presume that the idea has been considered.

For the record, we don't enter data into Plotter while working in the darkroom per se. We use a densitometer (or equivalent) to measure the results of some tests. Then we enter that data into the Plotter application, which is actually a Sensitometry analysis engine that also plots charts. The core feature is the engine. Viewing the results as charts on the screen or on paper, make things easier to work with, but is not critical.

The name "Plotter" is probably a lot easier to swallow than BTZS Sensitometry Analysis Engine or whatever :)

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
12-Mar-2012, 12:47
Not only do you have to buy the plotter program, you also have to buy a densitometer and step tablet...

However, ViewCamera Store will do the sensitometry and data entry for you, and send you a file which will drop into iTunes.

Ben Syverson
12-Mar-2012, 13:38
Ah, I see this process is quite a bit more involved than I thought, so my critique really doesn't make much sense.

Jim Cole
12-Mar-2012, 14:36
I've been using ExpoDev for about 3 years now and it's a bit simpler that it's being made out here.

I contacted Fred Newman at the View Camera Store (VCS) and talked about what was necessary to start using ExpoDev. Using their instructions, I shot a series of film tests for 3 different film/developer combinations and mailed them of to the VCS. I use Jobo Expert drums so my developing technique is taken into account. They performed the densitomiter measurements, asked me what paper/developer I was going to use and applied the proper paper curve, made the computations and emailed me three film/developer/paper files to load into ExpoDev.

While waiting for the film tests, I bought a NOS Palm M500 off eBay for $20, the ExpoDev program, and I was ready to hit the ground running when the files arrived. I was using ExpoDev successfully for over a year when I decided to buy the Plotter program so I could change the paper curves myself. My darkroom plans fell through and I never used Lodima and Amidol I had bought, so I changed the paper curve to something that would scan well.

In use, I enter:

1) the film/developer/paper curve from a dropdown
2)lens FL
3)the lo EV and the zone I want it mapped to and the same for the hi EV
4)filter factor (if any)
5)bellows extension (or subject distance)
6)and the f stop being used (it calculates DOF as well).

It calculates the exposure time and developing time based on the curves. It also compensates for reciprocity.

I get really consistent negatives using ExpoDev and I highly recommend it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, that I am looking to pick up a used iPod Touch Gen 3 so I can ditch the Palm and it's PITA stylus!

david.jade
12-Mar-2012, 14:47
Ah, I see this process is quite a bit more involved than I thought, so my critique really doesn't make much sense.

Ben, I appreciate your suggestions and thoughts but as others have pointed out, Plotter is the core of the BTZS methodology and ExpoDev can be thought of as the companion field app.

BTZS Film testing is a process that requires many pieces besides just Plotter or ExpoDev if one wants to do it themselves.

For others, the ViewCameraStore.com offers a film testing service at a reasonable price (vs. computers, software, and densitometers).

As others here can attest, ExpoDev (and BTZS) usually saves money by having less bad film exposures from the start and this new version of ExpoDev is the least expensive version to ever be released.

david.jade
12-Mar-2012, 14:52
Any eta for an Android version?

Not currently. An Android version will be produced when there is sufficient demand to cover the costs of development, but there has been very little demand vs. the iOS version.

The one other huge benefit to having an iOS version vs. Android is that you can run ExpoDev on an iPod Touch without having to pay for a monthly smartphone contract. This is a huge benefit to many users.

david.jade
12-Mar-2012, 15:04
Given this is for Apple hardware, where is the "Plotter-for-Mac" option?

ExpoDev can be thought of as the companion app for Plotter users. As such it has existed on several platforms over the years as technology has shifted (Palm, Pocket PC, and now iOS). ExpoDev was brought to iOS recently because that is where the demand is currently. It was the next logical platform to develop ExpoDev for.

While it is true that the original version of Plotter existed on a Mac, all later development was shifted to Windows for a variety of reasons (not the least is that is where the most demand was). Unlike Mac applications, a Windows application can be easily run on either Windows or OS X (using a variety of different OS emulators/virtualizers). Some have even gotten it to run on Linux. The market as it stands right now is simply too small to support the future development/re-write of Plotter for any other platforms. It that significantly changes, the situation will be re-evaluated.

Shen45
12-Mar-2012, 17:25
Thanks for the continued effort with ExpoDev David. Plotter runs very well in Linux using WINE however I have never been able to get the Expodev side of things to work using WINE. That is more likely some issue with the Palm interface. $25 is a very fair cost balanced against the hours of work you have put in for the Apple version.

coops
8-Apr-2012, 17:20
I got tired of using a Palm Pilot in the sun, with the screen being almost impossible to see and having to use a golf tee lol because I lost the pen along time ago. I purchased a new Ipod and the the Expodev download and its great. Highly recommend it.