PDA

View Full Version : Going to finally shoot my Technical Pan film

Jehu
9-Mar-2012, 10:32
I've had a box of Tech-Pan that was given to me a couple of years ago by a lady who kept it in her freezer since before the expiration date. That was about 20 years ago. I just now got some Technidol packets. The technical data sheet from Kodak indicates that a lot of developers would work but Technidol is the only soup that would keep the contrast reasonable for pictorial use. I only have 25 sheets so there's not a lot of room for experimenting. (The reason for this post)

The publication says that, for tray developing, it's best to mix a 2:1 dilute of Technidol. (use two 8 oz. mix packets for 32 oz.) I've never tray-developed before. I would like to use my Jobo test drum with a 2509 reel for 6 sheets. I could get by with 16 ounces to do that.

I've also read that some have had pretty good results with a 1:100 Rodinal. Since Rodinal is my go-to soup, I should consider trying that.

Can (and will) others share any experience on this? ISO? Developer/times? etc.

I would also love to see some examples.

Thanks,
Jon

Brian C. Miller
9-Mar-2012, 11:07
These two pictures were shot on very old TechPan. They were processed in my Jobo CPE2, with Jobo's recommended subtraction for rotary time. I used Technidol at the recommended dilution.

Basically, it's still good stuff! The next best thing is Acros. Down the ladder, either Delta or TMax. I'm going to try some Efke/ADOX 25 in Diafine and see what the grain is like. I tried it in Xtol, and I wasn't really impressed.

domaz
9-Mar-2012, 11:40
I have a box that has maybe 5 sheets left, too little to buy a dedicated developer. Is there a decent way to develop it with Pyrocat-HD?

Jim Jones
9-Mar-2012, 12:02
Unless one is making huge enlargements, there are several continuous tone sheet films that give good results. Tech Pan may best be reserved for subjects that demand its inherent high contrast. Another use for which it is well suited is solarized negatives, but this does take some experimenting, not a good idea with a film that is discontinued. This photo was captured on 35mm (sorry about that!) Tech Pan with an exposure index of perhaps 400 with a red filter and developed for maybe three minutes in print developer after a prewash.

Jehu
9-Mar-2012, 12:10
Great cloud image Jim.

I guess I could consider caffenol:
http://caffenol.blogspot.com/

They have a white rose shot on the first page that was captured on "long expired" Tech-Pan. I'm amazed at the quality that can be achieved by caffenol.

Brian C. Miller
9-Mar-2012, 12:24
Domaz, I *might* have more Technidol than I need. I'll check packs and film. The problem with Techpan is that if it isn't developed in either Technidol or TD-3 (http://stores.photoformulary.com/-strse-41/TD-dsh-3-Techpan-Developer/Detail.bok), you are going to see way too much contrast in the developed negative.

Jehu
9-Mar-2012, 13:54
Put me in second place for that extra technidol Brian. I have enough for 12 sheets and I have a box of 25.

Jay DeFehr
9-Mar-2012, 14:05
Domaz, I *might* have more Technidol than I need. I'll check packs and film. The problem with Techpan is that if it isn't developed in either Technidol or TD-3 (http://stores.photoformulary.com/-strse-41/TD-dsh-3-Techpan-Developer/Detail.bok), you are going to see way too much contrast in the developed negative.

There are other developers that work well, too. 510-Pyro gives me better results than either Technidol or TD-3, and Sweet 'N' Low is custom made for the application. I still have some TP stashed away, and some of the Adotech stuff ordered. I'll be experimenting with several slow-medium speed films in the coming weeks.

domaz
9-Mar-2012, 15:31

Thanks Brian- that would be a big help. Let me know.

John Henry
9-Mar-2012, 17:05
Many years ago, before I had any Technidol I used Rodinal at a very high dilution rate. 1 to 200 and a longer than normal developing time. I wish I could remember everything about the process, but I don't. I do remember using a large Paterson tank with just one reel of 35mm so as to have enough developer ratio for the films sq. in.. I also seem to remember a semi-stand type of regime, which probably accounts for my memory saying it was a loooonger than normal developing time. They were the best negatives(contrast wise) I could get at that time with Tech-pan and I really can't say I found anything better. I drifted away from Tech-pan when I bought my first Bronica S2A 2 1/4" sq. medium format camera and that was a while ago. Now, if I could only remember where I put my glasses? Damn, it's terrible getting old. JohnW

Michael Rosenberg
11-Mar-2012, 07:53
I stockpiled a lot of tech pan when it was discontinued in a chest freezer (manual defrost). I develop 120 TP, ASA 6, in XTOL diluted 1:5 or 1:6 (distilled water, since I am on well water) for 9.5 min.s at 72F. I use a double stainless steel tank but for one roll at a time to make sure I have enough developer present (make sure to put an empty reel on top). Agitation for The first 1 min of development, then agitate 5 secs every 30 secs; agitate by turning the tank upside down and right side up, do not shake!

Mike