PDA

View Full Version : 300mm aero ektar MY GOD!

cosmicexplosion
9-Mar-2012, 02:03
7kg or 15.4 pounds of glass and steel!

i had no idea how massive this f 2.5 lens was,

it looked so cute in the photo.

SO i am wondering if any one wants to share there experience with this lens;

what sort of usage did it get, how the hell do you mount it, on what cameras.

i have a kodak 2d and a sinar p

i rested it on the 2d and the mechanism fell strait down, so will need a prop for sure.

i am thinking it will be great for wet plate, as it is fast.

any way cant wait!

Andrewshkiba

Hermes07
9-Mar-2012, 03:07
Mounted with epdm clamps on a Sinar P 7x7 board. I use only the special 8x10 heavy duty standards.

It's not THAT fast for wet plate due to the yellow thorium staining, although the shallow depth of field is still there. Mine spent the first 3 months under a uv lamp just to get the rear element see through enough to use. It's a faint light yellow now but doesn't seem to want to clear any further.

Tim Deming
9-Mar-2012, 08:52
mounted with 3 bolts onto a 9"x9" wood board. Used on an old Anthony Studio camera -solid as a rock!

cheers

Tim

cosmicexplosion
9-Mar-2012, 16:22
Mounted with epdm clamps on a Sinar P 7x7 board. I use only the special 8x10 heavy duty standards.

It's not THAT fast for wet plate due to the yellow thorium staining, although the shallow depth of field is still there. Mine spent the first 3 months under a uv lamp just to get the rear element see through enough to use. It's a faint light yellow now but doesn't seem to want to clear any further.

mine aint yellow thank god, but is still heavy, not sure what epdm clamps are,

what camera do you use, with what standards?

cheers

Hermes07
9-Mar-2012, 16:47
mine aint yellow thank god, but is still heavy, not sure what epdm clamps are,

what camera do you use, with what standards?

cheers

They are pipe clamps with a flexible rubber sort of lip.

The camera is a Sinar P, but like I say the bearers I use (for the lens standard, for the rear standard, for the intermediate standard, even to hold the lens shade bellows) are all 8x10 heavy duty standards.

John Kasaian
9-Mar-2012, 18:39
I used to be a 97 pound weakling and everyone kicked sand in my face at the beach----until I got a 300mm Aero Ektar!
After working out with that bad boy on my Speeder for a while I can now bench press 400 pounds, people call me ""Sir," I'm considered the life of the party, women offer me their daughters and I glow in the dark! :D