PDA

View Full Version : Best proofing paper with Photo Black ink for Epson 4900?

sully75
7-Mar-2012, 22:43
Hi all,

So I've been using Epson Ultra Premium Matte for quite a while as my proofing paper. I'm not in love with it, but it's been pretty ok. It's cheap, anyway.

I've used some Canson Infinity papers, Baryta and Platine, both of which I like quite a bit. Both use Photo Black. The Epson paper uses Matte Black.

So to switch back and forth, I need to waste a $1 or so of ink. Not a huge deal but pretty damn annoying for the state of the art printer.

Any thoughts as to a good, cheap proofing paper that would use photo black ink? I would like to keep things to two papers, a proofing paper and then my good stuff. I'm generally a matte guy, the baryta is about as glossy as I care to get.

Valdecus
8-Mar-2012, 00:54
I am using Epson's 'Premium Luster Photo Paper' for general purpose prints using photo black inks. It is not as expensive as any of the Baryta type papers, and gives quite good results.

Cheers,
Andreas

pherold
8-Mar-2012, 10:43
If you are using this paper for proofing, you might find this recent article useful:
http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/I_LUV_UV

New standards concerning matching proofs to press in light booths are causing some problems in the industry.

Jon Shiu
8-Mar-2012, 11:02
Check out Inkjetart Micro Ceramic Luster.

Jon

sully75
8-Mar-2012, 18:11
Jon that looks interesting. Is that sort of a "baryta" type paper? My paper knowledge is pretty limited. Price seems to be about right.

Jon Shiu
8-Mar-2012, 18:52
No, it is just the equivalent to Epson Premium Luster paper, but cheaper.

Jon

Ed Richards
8-Mar-2012, 18:54
What do you use for your final prints? You need to proof with the same surface. If it is matte, then luster does not make sense. But if it is a gloss, like exhibition fiber, then premium luster is great.

Chris Strobel
8-Mar-2012, 21:59
I always proof with the 8 1/2 x 11" version of what even I'm using for large prints.

Chris

sully75
9-Mar-2012, 11:57
I suppose I'm substituting "proof" where I should be saying "cheap". I use Epson Matte for "cheap" and the Canson paper for "good". But that's a good point, I would be better off using the same surface for both.

Valdecus
10-Mar-2012, 02:59
I am using Epson Enhanced Matte (or Archival Matte or whatever they call it now) as my preferred 'cheap' paper when printing on matte surfaces, for example before spending big money on Hahnemuehle Photo Rag.

However, you asked for advice when printing with Photo Black inks, so here I usually choose Epson Premium Luster as a cheaper alternative to high-end baryta papers.

Cheers,
Andreas

Adams2235
15-Mar-2012, 19:02
http://www.datasea.info/avatar5.jpgNew standards concerning matching proofs to press in light booths are causing some problems in the industry.

drew.saunders
15-Mar-2012, 22:26
I am using Epson's 'Premium Luster Photo Paper' for general purpose prints using photo black inks. It is not as expensive as any of the Baryta type papers, and gives quite good results.

Cheers,
Andreas

Freestyle's "Arista-II Photograde Instant Dry Inkjet Paper Lustre" is supposed to be comparable to the Epson Premium Luster. It's also about half the cost of the Epson, so that's what I use for my "cheap" paper, and I use Harmon FB Al for "good" (until I run out, I have some Canson Infinity Baryta for testing, but haven't gotten around to that yet). Just call it Epson Luster in the settings, and it'll work just fine.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/39084-Arista-II-Photograde-Instant-Dry-Inkjet-Paper-8.5x11-100-sheets?cat_id=3002

Lots of sizes etc.

Drew